Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bring on Big Red

rakr

• 3 weeks later...

I can remember when the University of Tennessee had a ski jump ramp back in the cove where we used to ride. They had a bar across the top of it to prevent use when they werent there, always wanted to hit it when I was younger. 

3rd day back on the ramp, just some baby single wake cuts for now. Hopefully I’ll be taking some good pokes at it by this fall. Slowly but surely. Unfortunately for you all, no “fun” falls yet. If anyone wants to see a gnarly spill, check out Cole https://instagram.com/ckalkbrenner?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Here is my baby jump at 28mph for comparison. Still lots of mechanics to work on. https://youtu.be/C7hm1rXOSYY

Edited by rakr
6 hours ago, rakr said:

3rd day back on the ramp, just some baby single wake cuts for now. Hopefully I’ll be taking some good pokes at it by this fall. Slowly but surely. Unfortunately for you all, no “fun” falls yet. If anyone wants to see a gnarly spill, check out Cole https://instagram.com/ckalkbrenner?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Here is my baby jump at 28mph for comparison. Still lots of mechanics to work on. https://youtu.be/C7hm1rXOSYY

That looks like an awesome site!  Do you have regular access there?  I'm jealous.  Also, I was expecting nothing more than a plop-over (what we called them in ski team back in college).  That was a nice pop you had there!  Probably about 60 feet or so?

@UWSkier a couple of folks around my age (early/mid 40s) bought some land in 2007 and started digging in 2015 or so, finished in 2018. It is an awesome site. Ironically they went to Purdue, but neither were on the ski team, they just liked skiing. 

If anyone is looking for a nice ski vacation, they have cabins on site and an awesome setup. 

https://www.forestlakeadventures.com

yeah, I’d guess those are in the 50-60’ range. I gotta get on my toes a bit more and bring it down! 

5 minutes ago, rakr said:

@UWSkier a couple of folks around my age (early/mid 40s) bought some land in 2007 and started digging in 2015 or so, finished in 2018. It is an awesome site. Ironically they went to Purdue, but neither were on the ski team, they just liked skiing. 

If anyone is looking for a nice ski vacation, they have cabins on site and an awesome setup. 

https://www.forestlakeadventures.com

yeah, I’d guess those are in the 50-60’ range. I gotta get on my toes a bit more and bring it down! 

That's awesome.  The WI DNR would never approve something like that in the woods/forest.  :(  I've often dreamt the same dream when I lived there.

30 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

That's awesome.  The WI DNR would never approve something like that in the woods/forest.  :(  I've often dreamt the same dream when I lived there.

There have been a few tried in the past, but didn't stay operational. I'm sure if you had enough money you could get them to agree or just purchase a lake instead. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Welp, whoever said starting to jump in again your 40s was a bad idea wasn’t wrong, but I don’t know if I’m done yet…

had a great summer getting back into it. Mixed 2 jump sets and a slalom set 2 days a week. Had great coaching, working on mechanics and starting to take some slightly aggressive 1/4 cuts, no official distance, but we’re guessing in the 70s-80s. Probably 15 sets in I finally really felt like I was ready to get more aggressive. Had my best set of the year on Tuesday, and then crashed (first crash of the summer…) on Thursday. I “landed”, but apparent forgot everything I’d been working on or got lazy… passive in the landing, looking down, just a garbage landing. Right ski got pulled behind me, did the splits and my left ski “turned” right in front of me. I knew it was bad. I reduced my dislocated knee at the beach, but that was just the beginning. Guys at the site helped me to my truck, I drove my dumb a** home, and to Urgent care the next morning. Completely torn ACL, MCL, two torn ligaments in my ankle, broken fibula, and a broken bone in my ankle. That was august 18th, and because of my other injuries and swelling, I couldn’t have the ACL reconstruction until 4 weeks ago. PT sucks, and my quad is almost gone. 

Next year, I’ll probably only slalom. I’ve been talking with Mike at MOB, and he had a similar, but not as severe crash, which was the impetus for creating the MOB system. I considered MOB, but thought, “maybe once I start taking some 3/4 I’ll spring for them…” Those bindings would have most likely allowed me to walk away with no injuries. 20/20 huh… 5 months (2.5 months on crutches) later and $5k down the drain, that additional $1500 doesn’t sound too bad. I’m finally walking almost normal without a bunch of pain. Learning to walk “normal” again is a weird experience. 

I hope to get healed up, which will probably be another 3-6 months of rehab and lifting, and head to FL a bunch next winter. MOBs and knee braces will be in my future. 

More than anything, I hope this note helps someone else. 1. Stay active in your landings, stomp them. 2. Wear knee braces regardless of your skill level (even 72” jumpers can get “silly”) 3. Seriously consider MOBs especially earlier in your career. 

fly far my friends and I’ll hopefully be back on the ramp full time in 2024! 

2189612D-5528-4430-B8EC-1563FAC416F2.png

Ugg.  That sucks.

My back is F'd right now which may impair getting back into it next season.  In contrast, the boy is landing every time now plopping over and is looking forward to spring and learning to cut (season is over till probably march).  I bet he's 3/4 cutting by regionals in July.  We'll see.  I am about to shell out for a full Splasheye system in the meantime.  

Edited by jjackkrash

Wow, that's a mess, sorry to hear that.  I keep telling myself to jump more and I keep also telling myself don't be stupid, stick to footing.  I'm 53 and guessing that I should hang up the jump.  But it's sooooo much fun.

That's why I never got into jumping either.  I have bad knees as it is.  Feel like my ACL would go hitting the ramp like happened to Marion Ellis a few years back.  That was nasty.  Good luck on the rest of your recovery!

• 1 month later...

I wish I was kidding, but it gets worse. Infection showed up 2 months post op. Emergency surgery to pull everything out (so no ACL for now). Staph Epi, 6 weeks of IV antibiotics via a PICC line. I get the PICC line out next week. If there is a blessing, out of the “three” recoveries, this one has been the easiest. 

Going back in for surgery in Sept. 

the wife is super pumped. 

Edited by rakr