Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M6 Fuel Filter Replacement

Dirtysidedown

2021 M6.

Just hitting the 150 hr mark.

There are several instances of the manual contradicting itself, may have found another, but would like some clarification.  The maintenance schedule says to replace the fuel filters every 150 hrs.  There are 2 on the m6 system.  A cartridge on the motor, below the oil filter area.  Piece of cake, not an issue.

There is also a filter on the bottom of the fuel pump.  This would require pulling the pump out of the tank and be more labor intensive.

This is where the conflict is. If I'm reading the service manual(Not owners manual) correctly, it says all the gen 3 pumps are lifetime filters and don't mess with it unless there is an issue.  "GEN 3 PUMPS REQUIRE NO PERIODIC MAINTENANCE", where as the Gen2 says every 100 hrs(again in conflict with the 150 hrs owners manual)

What is the consensus?  I love the,"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality for the pump filter.  Absolutely gonna change the cartridge on the motor.

Screenshot_20220617-095620_Office.jpg

Screenshot_20220617-095221_Office.jpg

Screenshot_20220617-101109_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220617-101152_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Dirtysidedown
Added filter pics
  • 1 year later...

Same question....about to hit 150 hours on my M6 and have seen the Youtube on the engine fuel filter, but what about the in tank pump filter socks?    Thanks in advance.  

Think of the fact that the fuel pump is the same one that is in your tow vehicle….  Does the manufacturer state that you have to change the sock on any frequency?  

I would just change the one you can get to and sleep with ease.

Edited by dlb

I just changed the engine mounted fuel filter on my 2022 M5Di engine at 250 hours.  It was dirty!  I used an oil filter strap wrench to spin off the filter housing after bleeding the pressure from the shrader valve.  Definitely replace the o-ring on the housing before re-assembly.

Also took several power on/off cycles for the fuel pump to refill the filter canister with fuel before the engine would start and run at idle hooked to a garden hose.

Edited by BuFootin
On 8/13/2023 at 7:11 AM, BuFootin said:

I just changed the engine mounted fuel filter on my 2022 M5Di engine at 250 hours.  It was dirty!  I used an oil filter strap wrench to spin off the filter housing after bleeding the pressure from the shrader valve.  Definitely replace the o-ring on the housing before re-assembly.

Also took several power on/off cycles for the fuel pump to refill the filter canister with fuel before the engine would start and run at idle hooked to a garden hose.

Maintenance schedule calls for 150 hours, so you were due!  

On 8/11/2023 at 8:17 PM, dlb said:

Think of the fact that the fuel pump is the same one that is in your tow vehicle….  Does the manufacturer state that you have to change the sock on any frequency?  

I would just change the one you can get to and sleep with ease.

Sound logic, but I imagine gas stations are more disciplined on tank cleanout/filtering than marinas.  

2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

In tank filters only need to be changed if you are seeing a fuel restriction.

I'm going to follow this logic.   Thanks for the replies.