Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 335

Guys I have a 03 wakesetter efi. It idles perfect, starts fine, but has very very poor acceleration. I'm talking will not get out of it's own way. I replaced the plugs, rear fuel filter, verified correct fuel psi on the rail. It's not missing or popping either. Any ideas?

1 minute ago, Rcrim said:

Need some trouble shooting help. Boat will crank and idle just fine, runs great on the hose. When I put it in the water it has absolutely terrible acceleration and power. No missing no popping just struggles to get on step and will not maintain speed. I replaced the rear fuel filter in line, distributor cap and rotor, plugs, map sensor, fuel psi is also within specs.  Any advice would help. I was going to chase the fuel injectors next. I'm unsure of the pcv and tps sensors location.

Which of your two threads on the same topic should we answer?  @csleaver answered with very good advise, then you ignored that and asked about injectors.  At least this thread has a little more information about what you did, but we really do need everything in one place.  Pick one of your threads and stick with it.  If you don't get an answer, consider giving much more information (like the year of the engine).

Other things to answer: Does the engine get to full RPM but just doesn't have power?  When you say fuel pressure is within specs, what is the actual pressure you see, and is it the same with the engine at all RPM ranges?

ahopkins22LSV

@Rcrim please don’t start duplicate thread with the same topic. We have some very helpful members here that will absolutely help you through your problem but it makes it difficult for themselves and their own time to help if duplicate threads are made. I have moved @justgary’s reply into this thread and closed your other thread. 

Sorry guys the original post was my 1st post on the forum. I couldn't find it when I went looking for it. The prop does not have any damage nor is it cavitating. Fuel psi is above 45 throughout rpm ranges. Boat is not getting up to full rpm either when you apply wide open throttle. As far as a compression test I will be able to perform This on Sunday once I return home. Unfortunately everything I have done so far has been out in the lake while on vacation. This engine is a 2003 monsoon 335 with 235hrs on it.

Edited by Rcrim
  • Like 1

Boat was fine last season. Sat up during the winter with a quarter tank of fuel in it from October till may. Filled up the boat this may and went out on the lake all day without problems. Cap, rotor have been replaced today while testing it. Wires were replaced last year. I do have some new ones back at home I can install. As far as rpms. My rpm gauge is intermittent but I caught a glance at it testing today above 2500. 

3 hours ago, Rcrim said:

Fuel psi is above 45 throughout rpm ranges.

Sorry to dwell on this, but how far above?  The regulator should keep the pressure constant at 3 Bar, which is 44.1 PSI.  Most people report 42 or so at the rail, but generally not above 45.  More pressure is not better.

42 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

It does sound like a fuel problem. Either fuel pressure or fuel injectors. 

Or compression, like @csleavermentioned.

Hello all, I recently was able to check compressions on the boat. All cylinders were the following posted below. Also i verified fuel at rail again. Stuck the boat in the water and with it under a load fuel psi is a constant 48psi. Once again boat idles fine, revs fine on the hose. Once in water it will get up to speed around 25mph or so but has no "balls" so to speak getting there no popping no missing.. As mentioned in previous post the following parts have been replaced- Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter at tank. I was going to Aim at the fuel tank filter inside next then possibly aim at the fuel nozzles. Also curious if anyone would be able to point me in the direction of the firing range on the distributor just so i can verify these are in correct order again. Any knowledge given is appreciated.

1- 88

2-90

3-100

4-100

5-85

6-75

7-80

8-88

Compression seems pretty low.  Did you warm the engine first?

Fuel pressure seems pretty high.  Consider changing the fuel regulator.  I would not monkey with other fuel parts until you get the pressure between 42 and 45 PSI.

Engine was warm, I'm going to recheck them with a different gauge do you know if the fuel pressure regulator is a part that will cross over at o'reilly? By chance thank you

6 minutes ago, Rcrim said:

Engine was warm, I'm going to recheck them with a different gauge do you know if the fuel pressure regulator is a part that will cross over at o'reilly? By chance thank you

Answered just days ago on this very forum!

Thanks! Local O'Reilly's currently has a compression gauge already checked out I ran my engine up to 150 temp. on the hose but the best I could get it just running off the hose and recheck the compressions and got the following 

1   105

2. 125

3. 110

4. 115

5. 110

6. 100

7. 95

8. 110

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Compression seems pretty low.  Did you warm the engine first?

Fuel pressure seems pretty high.  Consider changing the fuel regulator.  I would not monkey with other fuel parts until you get the pressure between 42 and 45 PSI.

just wanted to make sure we are on the same page. At idle psi is around 45 under a load in the water with prop spinning psi goes up to 48. However no surging or anything

4 minutes ago, Rcrim said:

just wanted to make sure we are on the same page. At idle psi is around 45 under a load in the water with prop spinning psi goes up to 48. However no surging or anything

That's too high. Idle should be 35-38 with 43-45 wide open. You're flooding the engine potentially with the over pressure. 

6 minutes ago, Rcrim said:

What page would you like to be on?  The ECM has no idea what your fuel pressure is.  The regulator's job is to keep the pressure constant at 3 Bar so that the ECM can estimate fuel delivery properly.  More pressure equals too much fuel in the mix.  The ECM runs open loop and has no way to compensate for anything that is not in spec.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic in any way. Sorry if it sounded  that way. I just wanted to make sure i was being descriptive enough to you Every suggestion is definitely appreciated. I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator, The pressure is still the same as previously mentioned, 45 at idle and 48 under a load, there is no change in performance either. The only thing left as far as fuel that hasn't been checked would be the injectors. 

Edited by Rcrim
4 hours ago, Rcrim said:

I may have found the culprit. 3 injectors are clogged visually looking from the top on rail side of injector 

It is probably far better to send them off for cleaning than trying to replace them. GM used a crazy number of different injectors, and finding the correct ones can be difficult.

Hopefully you can get your power back after a clean!