Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Active trouble codes after PM Hammerhead 383 - 2007

I had a local boat mechanic change the transmission and Vdrive fluids, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, and serpentine belt. After the service the mechanic said the boat had a misfire. I’ve had no issues, no codes, nothing when I took it out before the maintenance.  He said it would require further diagnosis so he ran a compression test and hooked up the diagnostic computer. All cylinders were above 180 compression. The boat was throwing codes 65604,65605, and 65613 which all relate to the electronic throttle control. Fast forward a week later to a lake test. It was tested under several load scenarios with no active codes and seemed fine. Any thoughts on what was going on? Should I take it to the dealer or just ride it out since it doesn’t seem to have active codes at this point? Thanks for any help.

On 6/16/2022 at 8:32 PM, burider said:

It was tested under several load scenarios with no active codes and seemed fine.

Fine is fine....  You didn't really provide enough information to go further.  Were the codes active, or logged from some time before?

I didn't bother to look up the codes, but a poor connection might cause your throttle to act up.  Somebody with a diagnostic tool could have watched the throttle values in real time to see what they were doing.

If you have an "active" or recent misfire code, the small digital display between tach and speed will be stuck on "service required" and you can't get it off that screen.  This just happened on my 08 Hammerhead.  It takes 3 cold starts (without a scanner tool to clear it) to make that go away.  I had a legit misfire on cyl #1 and the boat would not run well, which caused the code to be present.  I did the same tune up you describe, and now the boat runs like it should, but since i don't have a code scanner I have 1 more cold start to make that error go away.  If the screen is clear and you run perfect, you should be good to go.