Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sea dek for malibu response

JimboShrump

JimboShrump

Hello! I recently purchased a 1996 malibu response and the carpet is destroyed. I really want to go sea dek but want to find some info on here if anyone has done it previously. Does anyone know the square footage of the carpeted area? How should I go about dealing with the carpet that's up the sides of the walls and around the base of the engine cover? Thanks for any help!

On a boat of that vintage, you're talking about a really really big job.  Underneath the carpet in that boat is raw, unfinished fiberglass.  It's not finished like boats that typically get sea-dek.  You can finish it, but it'll be a heck of a lot of work.  And it'll be really loud.  Carpet has a quieting effect.  Boats that are just tubs with Sea-dek are loud.

What a lot of people do, myself included, is go for the Faux Deckadence flooring instead.  I pulled up my carpet, painted the floor with some non-skid marine paint, and laid down pool mats from american floor mats.  Much cheaper.

JimboShrump
6 hours ago, UWSkier said:

On a boat of that vintage, you're talking about a really really big job.  Underneath the carpet in that boat is raw, unfinished fiberglass.  It's not finished like boats that typically get sea-dek.  You can finish it, but it'll be a heck of a lot of work.  And it'll be really loud.  Carpet has a quieting effect.  Boats that are just tubs with Sea-dek are loud.

What a lot of people do, myself included, is go for the Faux Deckadence flooring instead.  I pulled up my carpet, painted the floor with some non-skid marine paint, and laid down pool mats from american floor mats.  Much cheaper.

Appreciate that! Many things I did not think of. I've built many boats so I'm quite proficient in glass work. Wondering if I can finish the glass with a thick layer of epoxy based fairing compound to deaden the sound. But im also lazy so going the mat work might be the way 🤣. Going to look into them thanks!