Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perko on or off

TNgillster

8 hours ago, BigCreek said:

Maybe not on all models and years? This is a Copy/Paste from my '16 Owner's Manual -

If the battery switch is in the OFF position, the automatic bilge system cannot operate. If the boat is in water, this could result in excessive water in the bilge hold, and subsequently sink the boat.

But when you look at the batteries, was the bilge pump actually not wired directly to one of them?  I'd be really surprised.  My 2016 axis was definitely wired straight to a battery.

16 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

And it should never drain the battery.  Leaving the battery switch on should never drain the batteries, even for a week, so something is wrong if the batteries die with the switch on in a short amount of time.  

In both my '17 22 MXZ, and my '22 M220, leaving the switch on drains the batteries. It doesn't isolate the batteries fully, either. Even with the switch off, I can hook the ground of my charger to one battery, and the positive to the other, and come back to two fully charged batteries. 

I never bothered to figure out why on the MXZ, but I'm going to trace all the wiring on the M220. I suspect it is due to the bilge being directly wired to both batteries. 

It did isolate them enough that battery 2 didn't discharge into battery 1, even when I had a cel go bad in battery 1, and it dropped to 10.5 volts. Still trying to wrap my head around that one. 

16 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

But when you look at the batteries, was the bilge pump actually not wired directly to one of them?

Never cared enough to examine what's wired directly to what. I could be wrong, but I've been listening to the manual. Yes, I understand that a majority of the manual was probably written in 1999, and copy/pasted forward up to 2024's manual that probably has already been printed. I'll take a look this weekend and re-post.

2 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

In both my '17 22 MXZ, and my '22 M220, leaving the switch on drains the batteries. It doesn't isolate the batteries fully, either. Even with the switch off, I can hook the ground of my charger to one battery, and the positive to the other, and come back to two fully charged batteries. 

I never bothered to figure out why on the MXZ, but I'm going to trace all the wiring on the M220. I suspect it is due to the bilge being directly wired to both batteries. 

It did isolate them enough that battery 2 didn't discharge into battery 1, even when I had a cel go bad in battery 1, and it dropped to 10.5 volts. Still trying to wrap my head around that one. 

The grounds are just daisy chained together.  Only the positive goes through the switch.  perfectly normal 

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

This is because Malibu likely wired the ACR to the battery side of the switch and not the boat side of the switch. The charger acts just like alternator voltage and the ACR closes, linking the 2 banks. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, MLA said:

This is because Malibu likely wired the ACR to the battery side of the switch and not the boat side of the switch. The charger acts just like alternator voltage and the ACR closes, linking the 2 banks. 

Malibu's come with an ACR? 

12 hours ago, oldjeep said:

The grounds are just daisy chained together.  Only the positive goes through the switch.  perfectly normal 

Unless I'm mistaken, that would explain why the battery with the connected positive charger lead charges, despite the ground being on the other battery, but it doesn't explain why both batteries get charged. The positive lugs should be isolated. 

10 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

Malibu's come with an ACR? 

Its part of one of the two dual bank options. The only other way to charge both banks with a charger connected to only one, its have the battery switch in the COMBINE or 1+2 position. So I suspect your boat has the Dual Circuit Plus and ACR option, and Malibu wired it as the ACR manufacture illustrates. This puts the ACR in play when a charger is used.