Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Arc Audio Amps

Brandonloos21

Started to gauge some interest in adding DC 12” XL subs, 2 of which each ran off of an arc audio X2 2500.1. 

Which got me thinking, if I’m adding arc amps for my subs, and “potentially” want to add more revs to my tower in the future, why don’t I start powering each pair of revs off of an arc 300.4 amp bridged (it can give a bit over 300 to each speaker). 

i noticed that the KS amps are class g/h whereas the x2 and arc series are class d. Would there be any big difference in using the KS Class g/h amps (I know they’re known to be a little bit less efficient). I see guys using them all the time but never the class d arc amps, any specific reasoning?

11 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

KS Class g/h amps (I know they’re known to be a little bit less efficient). I see guys using them all the time but never the class d arc amps, any specific reasoning?

Full-range Class G/H power supply amps have been around since maybe the mid-2000s. Class-D in full-range for maybe 10 years and some have been slow to adopt it. Both are much more efficient then class-A/B. 

Why not a large 2 chnl that can deliver ample wattage to the existing pair of tower and a possible future 2nd pair. Adding that 2nd pair would be nearly plug n play as no 2nd amp would need to be planned for and added. 

With that said, Id suggest an amp thats not fan cooled. Even one with a conformal coated PCB, the constant humid air flowing across it, will take its toll. 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

Full-range Class G/H power supply amps have been around since maybe the mid-2000s. Class-D in full-range for maybe 10 years and some have been slow to adopt it. Both are much more efficient then class-A/B. 

Why not a large 2 chnl that can deliver ample wattage to the existing pair of tower and a possible future 2nd pair. Adding that 2nd pair would be nearly plug n play as no 2nd amp would need to be planned for and added. 

With that said, Id suggest an amp thats not fan cooled. Even one with a conformal coated PCB, the constant humid air flowing across it, will take its toll. 

Should have added this. I am currently running 4 revs off of an SDX2, though I would like to run 6 eventually. I was thinking it might be best to run each pair of their own amp (that way if an amp fails, it would not take all or one whole side of speakers) 

Are those ARC amps fan cooled? I have talked to numerous installers and people who use them, and they have had no issues.

Would I see a 'noticeable' difference between class G/H and class D amps?

1 hour ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Should have added this. I am currently running 4 revs off of an SDX2, though I would like to run 6 eventually. I was thinking it might be best to run each pair of their own amp (that way if an amp fails, it would not take all or one whole side of speakers) 

Are those ARC amps fan cooled? I have talked to numerous installers and people who use them, and they have had no issues.

What kind of "noticeable" difference do you mean?  12v Audiophiles (as a general rule) scoff at class D from a sound quality perspective.  However class d is generally the most efficient, which is good on a boat where we tend to push a lot more power than most folks do in a car.

The KS600.2 would give more headroom at marginally more cost. I ran the v1 600.2 on 1 and 2 pair of Rev 10s for many years.  I also ran two of them for a while (one to each pair of Rev10s).  I live where it's exceedingly dry, and those amps never gave a bit of trouble.   @MLA probably has a pretty valid point about blowing humid air over the internals.

The only downside I can think of is that they are BIG, so it would be a challenge to fit three of them (but you'd only really need two), plus a cabin amp, plus a sub amp.

The JL HD 750/1s can be run full range (mono) and wouldn't be a terrible choice for two pair (you could run one amp as L and one as R).  They have a smaller footprint and are easily stackable.  They are known to be power hogs tho.

22 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

What kind of "noticeable" difference do you mean?  12v Audiophiles (as a general rule) scoff at class D from a sound quality perspective.  However class d is generally the most efficient, which is good on a boat where we tend to push a lot more power than most folks do in a car.

The KS600.2 would give more headroom at marginally more cost. I ran the v1 600.2 on 1 and 2 pair of Rev 10s for many years.  I also ran two of them for a while (one to each pair of Rev10s).  I live where it's exceedingly dry, and those amps never gave a bit of trouble.   @MLA probably has a pretty valid point about blowing humid air over the internals.

The only downside I can think of is that they are BIG, so it would be a challenge to fit three of them (but you'd only really need two), plus a cabin amp, plus a sub amp.

The JL HD 750/1s can be run full range (mono) and wouldn't be a terrible choice for two pair (you could run one amp as L and one as R).  They have a smaller footprint and are easily stackable.  They are known to be power hogs tho.

I am talking difference in terms of efficiency. Will I see that the KS amps would drain my batteries faster than a class D amp?

1 hour ago, Brandonloos21 said:

I may be incorrect about still being fan cooled. I thought I had read that this feature carried over to the new V3. 

I thill like the idea of using a large 2 chnl for 2 pair. Then if the system expands to a 3rd pair, then add that 2nd amp. From an RCA and cabling stand point, a single 4 conductor cable and single stereo RCA will serve 2 pair of speakers. Adding that 3rd would just require splitting the RCA and running another 4-con for the new pair. 3 amps would require lots of RCA splitting (if the amps do not have pass-thrus) and three 4-cons.  

Real world amperage consumption difference between D and G/H would not be a deciding factor for me. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MLA said:

I may be incorrect about still being fan cooled. I thought I had read that this feature carried over to the new V3. 

The interwebs seems to confirm "quiet internal fan cooling" FWIW.

• Like 1

In my 2019 I ran all KS amps.
1-2500.1 to 4 RE12’s. 2-KS300.4 on 4 Rev 10’s. 1 to each pair.  And 2 KS300.2 on the 8-8” in boats. It sounded amazing. 
They were fan cooled. 
I could run a good 2-3 hrs before my 4 batteries gave out. I did have 2 big dry Cel batteries in there with the 12 volt starting batteries. The batteries were whatever my stereo guy put in. I don’t know what they were. 

We are not the type to sit at the beach for hours but we do run the stereo VERY hard riding and just cruising.

However,  I have decided on my next build I will be using something besides the KS amps. I have used the KS amps in my last 2- boats and I have had to have a few of them rebuilt. I think I had to change out 2 in my 2019. 

Sorry this isn’t the best photo
F0F3C527-4981-4BEA-BAFB-56276A9DC984.thumb.jpeg.e6ec032d278beadb94bc5f778a1be30c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sparky450 said:

In my 2019 I ran all KS amps.
1-2500.1 to 4 RE12’s. 2-KS300.4 on 4 Rev 10’s. 1 to each pair.  And 2 KS300.2 on the 8-8” in boats. It sounded amazing. 
They were fan cooled. 
I could run a good 2-3 hrs before my 4 batteries gave out. I did have 2 big dry Cel batteries in there with the 12 volt starting batteries. The batteries were whatever my stereo guy put in. I don’t know what they were. 

We are not the type to sit at the beach for hours but we do run the stereo VERY hard riding and just cruising.

However,  I have decided on my next build I will be using something besides the KS amps. I have used the KS amps in my last 2- boats and I have had to have a few of them rebuilt. I think I had to change out 2 in my 2019. 

Sorry this isn’t the best photo
F0F3C527-4981-4BEA-BAFB-56276A9DC984.thumb.jpeg.e6ec032d278beadb94bc5f778a1be30c.jpeg

What amps are you going to be going for this time! How much did it cost to have em rebuilt? I’m looking to do that exact setup. Did Alveno happen to build that? Seems like some of his signature build tactics! Looks awesome. Any more pics of the sub setup!

I have mostly ks's in my boat. I have 2 ks 300.2's on a pair of rev 410's and a ks 300.4 on my 4 interior speakers. I have a ks600.2 in the box ready for 2 pair of rev 10's but had kids and don't really hit the beach like we used to. 

So far I love my KS's, but I have not investigated what's on the market currently. To be honest if I was to build my stereo today I would lean towards amps with built in DSP's and class D. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

What amps are you going to be going for this time! How much did it cost to have em rebuilt? I’m looking to do that exact setup. Did Alveno happen to build that? Seems like some of his signature build tactics! Looks awesome. Any more pics of the sub setup!

On amps I am not sure. I actually ordered my2022 with complete factory. I was going purchase adaptors and replace the amps for tuning. However, with the economy doing what it is doing, I am taking a year off. I asked my dealer to sell my 2022 that I ordered. We will see how the next year does. 
And a local guy here in the valley did my build. He produces some of the best sounding builds out here. 
The 2 added batteries are under that shelf right in front of the charger. I sold this boat in July  D96B2D8B-F809-4415-90D4-56FDDA975DA0.thumb.jpeg.57eb7530bab42dbf2ef8d1dde2f15ccc.jpeg

Edited by Sparky450
26 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

On amps I am not sure. I actually ordered my2022 with complete factory. I was going purchase adaptors and replace the amps for tuning. However, with the economy doing what it is doing, I am taking a year off. I asked my dealer to sell my 2022 that I ordered. We will see how the next year does. 
And a local guy here in the valley did my build. He produces some of the best sounding builds out here. 
The 2 added batteries are under that shelf right in front of the charger. I sold this boat in July  D96B2D8B-F809-4415-90D4-56FDDA975DA0.thumb.jpeg.57eb7530bab42dbf2ef8d1dde2f15ccc.jpeg

Yeah that’s awesome!! What subwoofers are they, and how the heck did that box get in there? Lol