Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery question

Optima blue tops are 8+ years old. 
always on a 2 bank maintainer never run down. 
Boat sat without charger or any load for 4 months in storage that required batt disconnected. 
Boat came home with 11.9&12.1 volts. 
 After 1 night on maintainer then 48 hours without they are both holding 13. 
Good, right? 

I’ve been considering batteries myself. Mine are the original 2014 Interstate batteries. My boat is stored in a heated garage. 2nd time out this season I thought they sounded weak and commented about it to my spouse. Since then they have sounded fine, but I’m a bit concerned with a Lake Powell trip over Independence Day. I’ll probably just swap them for the peace of mind.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 7:23 PM, Faceplant409 said:

Optima blue tops are 8+ years old. 
always on a 2 bank maintainer never run down. 
Boat sat without charger or any load for 4 months in storage that required batt disconnected. 
Boat came home with 11.9&12.1 volts. 
 After 1 night on maintainer then 48 hours without they are both holding 13. 
Good, right? 

I also have two Optima batteries that are very old, a Starter battery that just turn 11 years old and a deep cycle that is 7 years old. 

They are toped off in the off season and also during the boating season. They still hold a charge.

Originally I used Sears marine Batteries and at most three years was it, they could not take the vibration.

What I have learned about these AGM batteries they need to be charged at a higher voltage than a flooded cell battery.

I use a Ctek 7002 charger. (Jay leno did  an episode on Jay Lenos Garage  about these). 

Would I trust these two old batteries on a week long trip,  Absolutely Not.  A day trip yes, because I can switch between batteries to get to the launch ramp. 

Seven to nine years is about it for a AGM battery assuming they have been well maintained.  They will be changed out this year.

I like The Optima do to the size of the Group 34D and the post on top for the terminal. Plus they fit in the Battery Boxes.

They are also found in most Marinas. 

We own a number of vehicles that are not daily drivers. They all have Optima Batteries and are maintained on a Ctek Charger.

The daily drivers still have flooded cell batteries.   

Its like anything else that you own,  Maintenance is key to longevity.