Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slip protection?

ndahlberg12

Hello,

I tried to use the search feature but searching several of terms leaves pages on pages of results. We have a trip planned at the end of July down to Table Rock Lake in Missouri. I am looking for a little help and guidance from you guys regarding protecting the boat while in the slip. We have never used a slip before as we always trailer on our home lake. I want to be able to leave the boat in the water for the day so we can come and go as we please. So my question to all of you, what would you recommend to protect the boat from the slip while tied up?

Thanks in advance

Depends on the slip size, if there is any protection already in the slip, part of the lake.  

If I know I will be parking in a slip overnight I will take all 4 of my 6.5x22 Taylormade fenders.  I have these set with premade ropes to a preset length.   Pop up the rear pylon and drop the loop over it, then one fender from each side.   This leaves the rear cleats easy to tie to. The other 2 preset fenders I'Il drop from mid cleats.  Then use two ropes to the bow eye and tie off each side of the slip.  

What area of the lake are you staying at?

2 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Depends on the slip size, if there is any protection already in the slip, part of the lake.  

If I know I will be parking in a slip overnight I will take all 4 of my 6.5x22 Taylormade fenders.  I have these set with premade ropes to a preset length.   Pop up the rear pylon and drop the loop over it, then one fender from each side.   This leaves the rear cleats easy to tie to. The other 2 preset fenders I'Il drop from mid cleats.  Then use two ropes to the bow eye and tie off each side of the slip.  

What area of the lake are you staying at?

We are staying in a condo in Kimberling City, we have a slip rented at What's up Dock.

I bought some Ronix "Happy Hour" boat fenders and love them.  I have an older boat and have the small version.  If you have a newer Malibu with higher freeboard, you would want the large ones.  They are inflatable with a non-marking sleeve over them.  Second season with them and love them.

https://www.wakemakers.com/products/ronix-happy-hour-boat-bumper?variant=41390414004389&gclid=CjwKCAjw46CVBhB1EiwAgy6M4tpCGrd_TS3cyCSeKrfk6wsjQyk6-Jy1BWXoabnm7FxN3qOJcUfXwRoC3FQQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Pop up the rear pylon and drop the loop over it, then one fender from each side.   

I was today years old when I figured this out!  My back fenders are always too low due to the cleats being so low to the waterline / rub rail.  This is great!

2 hours ago, amartin said:

I was today years old when I figured this out!  My back fenders are always too low due to the cleats being so low to the waterline / rub rail.  This is great!

Works pretty slick. I have the loops in my ropes to make it easier. 
Kimberling is a nice area for food and activities. Water can get rough due to how busy it is. 

10 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Works pretty slick. I have the loops in my ropes to make it easier. 
Kimberling is a nice area for food and activities. Water can get rough due to how busy it is. 

Any recommendations of where to eat or things to do while we are there? We will be there Sunday to Friday so hoping to avoid the crowds.

Does anyone us the babz or lets tie up balls while in a slip? Are these overkill?

I have both the babz and letstie up balls.  here is the ones I have .  Best protection hands down

Single Big Bertha Fender with Boatswains Mate Bungee – Let’s Tie Up (letstieupnow.com)

3 hours ago, ndahlberg12 said:

Any recommendations of where to eat or things to do while we are there? We will be there Sunday to Friday so hoping to avoid the crowds.

Does anyone us the babz or lets tie up balls while in a slip? Are these overkill?

Should be able to avoid some of the crowds being there during the week.    

Pier 28 is a floating restaurant is in the same cove a Whats Up Dock.  

Big Bouys is a new restaurant right there in Kimberling.  They have a dock, walk up the hill.

Lakeside Resort and Restaurant, close to Kimberling.  They have a dock, walk up the hill.  Pizza and ice cream too.

Sharky's Pizza.  Order at the dock and they bring it down to the dock. 

Big Cedar Lodge.  They have a dock and shuttle to their restaurants.  

Watsons on the Water up at Campbell Point Marina. 

Pizza Hut in Shell Knob.  They have a dock, walk up the hill.

Stuffed and Pressed, Cape Fair Marina.  Floating restaurant.  Ice cream shop too next door.  

Flat Creek Resturant, They have a dock, walk up the hill. 

Pier 28, Lakeside, Flat Creek, Watsons have live music from time to time. 

Few more places to eat up near the dam and Indian Point. 

Branson is close to Kimberling too.  Silver Dollar City, White Water, go karts, outlet malls, dining, Branson Landing. 

Original Bass Pro Shops is in Springfield, MO with the Wonders of Wildlife Aquarium/Museum right next door.  

It's a big lake to explore, over 800 miles of shoreline and around 50 miles from the dam to the "Start of the Lake" up the  White River Arm or James River Arm.  

Most of the maps just show the Point Markers on them, these are just for navigation purpose and there is no set distance in between each Point Marker.  You'll see them on shore they are large blue square signs with white numbers.  1 starts by the dam and runs 2-4 up Cricket Creek.  5-15 run up White River then continue up the James River.  16-26 run up the White River.  The map below also has the mileage as black numbers in the water.  

2019-TRLCC-Lake-Map-map-side-folded-Fina

Anything at Big Cedar will cost you but worth it... we stay there often. The weekend brunch is the best I've had... although my wife wont tell you the same after the bottomless mimosas lol. :lazy:

I would recommend some zip ties. My basic fenders have a loop at the top and bottom and I will zip tie these to the pylon / pole so they don’t move around.