Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

03 Sunsetter suging idle and stalling

Jfletcher011

Hi All,

I was hoping someone on here might be able to help provide some insight. Last year my wife and I purchased an 03 malibu sunsetter lxi with a monsoon 335 engine. When we first began using it in the beginning of the season it would run great when we first started it up from being cold but after it warmed up, it would start a surging idle and eventually stall out. After reading through the wealth of knowledge provided by these forums, I went ahead and started with the easy stuff... TPS, ICV, Ignition Control Module, Plugs, Wires, Cap/Rotor but it didn't resolve the issue. Also, as soon as we take it out of neutral the boat would run great!

This year, we went to put it in the water and when we initially started it up, the idle surged a couple of times and then stalled out. We tried that a few times and it didn't fix it's self so I tried revving it in neutral and it almost seemed as though a couple of cylinders were mis firing. We ended up pulling it out of the water.

I then came across this post of this very helpful person 

and it sounds like we have the same issues. Yesterday I went out and got a fuel pressure gauge and tested the fuel pressure. When I turn the key to on in initially, the PSI goes up to about 41 and hangs out there. When I start the boat in my yard with the "fake a lake", it spikes up to about 80PSI and moves a few psi while it's trying to idle then eventually stalls out. So I chased down the return line and disconnected it from parallel of where the fuel pump is located. I blew threw it and there was no restriction which was a bummer. I also checked the line and did not find any kinks. 

Upon doing further research, It seems like a fuel pressure regulator might cause this same symptoms. I was wondering if anyone else has had these issues and if anyone has any other thoughts on this? If it is fuel pressure regulator does anyone have any experience with changing these out? It's mounted to the rail under the big air intake "cover" on the top of the engine. Do I have to remove that cover? It also appears that the fuel inlet is held on there by some sort of a clip instead of screw on?

Appreciate all of your wisdom!

Josh

while i don't have any input on how to change the regulator, I think you have found the culprit.  The computer can only compensate so much for a rich condition.  But at double the PSI required, it's just flooding out the cylinders.  

2 hours ago, Jfletcher011 said:

Hi All,

I was hoping someone on here might be able to help provide some insight. Last year my wife and I purchased an 03 malibu sunsetter lxi with a monsoon 335 engine. When we first began using it in the beginning of the season it would run great when we first started it up from being cold but after it warmed up, it would start a surging idle and eventually stall out. After reading through the wealth of knowledge provided by these forums, I went ahead and started with the easy stuff... TPS, ICV, Ignition Control Module, Plugs, Wires, Cap/Rotor but it didn't resolve the issue. Also, as soon as we take it out of neutral the boat would run great!

This year, we went to put it in the water and when we initially started it up, the idle surged a couple of times and then stalled out. We tried that a few times and it didn't fix it's self so I tried revving it in neutral and it almost seemed as though a couple of cylinders were mis firing. We ended up pulling it out of the water.

I then came across this post of this very helpful person 

and it sounds like we have the same issues. Yesterday I went out and got a fuel pressure gauge and tested the fuel pressure. When I turn the key to on in initially, the PSI goes up to about 41 and hangs out there. When I start the boat in my yard with the "fake a lake", it spikes up to about 80PSI and moves a few psi while it's trying to idle then eventually stalls out. So I chased down the return line and disconnected it from parallel of where the fuel pump is located. I blew threw it and there was no restriction which was a bummer. I also checked the line and did not find any kinks. 

Upon doing further research, It seems like a fuel pressure regulator might cause this same symptoms. I was wondering if anyone else has had these issues and if anyone has any other thoughts on this? If it is fuel pressure regulator does anyone have any experience with changing these out? It's mounted to the rail under the big air intake "cover" on the top of the engine. Do I have to remove that cover? It also appears that the fuel inlet is held on there by some sort of a clip instead of screw on?

Appreciate all of your wisdom!

Josh

They're easy to swap out.  Just be prepared for the fuel that's going to spill out of the rails when you pull the regulator off.

1.  Remove the clip and pull out the return line.

2.  Remove the vacuum tube.

3.  Remove the retaining bolt and don't drop it.

4.  Lift the regulator out of the rail.  It has a few O rings on it and might take a little work to get loose.

5.  Reinstall in the reverse order and make sure you put thread locker on the retaining bolt, or it will leak under pressure (I know from experience).

11 hours ago, Jfletcher011 said:

Thanks Texan and UWSkier! I ended up finding the correct part # and was able to acquire a fuel pressure regulator today. I installed it and it now runs perfectly! It idles as it should both cold and when it's warmed up! I appreciate everyone's help here on these forums and am happy to be part of the community!

Happy Boating!

Excellent news!  What was the part number and where did you get it?  Info might help the next guy who have a similar issue.

Jfletcher011
20 minutes ago, DUKENO1 said:

Am i correct in the gm part price for like 20$ and the indmar for 290$?  :shocked:

For the Napa equivalent of the GM Part I paid about $65. Indmar part I found anywhere from $220-290.

13 hours ago, Jfletcher011 said:

For the Napa equivalent of the GM Part I paid about $65. Indmar part I found anywhere from $220-290.

That's crazy...thanks for providing the part number.