Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Issue after installing thrusters

After installing EzDive thrusters a new issue emerged and I am now getting service boat messages every 10 to 15 minutes from using the thrusters while wake surfing.

If I don't use it and leave EzDive off I never see the service message so it's definitely something with the thrusters.

I even upgraded the batteries to more powerful ones and the only thing that I can think of is that I am not supposed to connect the battery red wire to the one from the engine as seen on the pics.

Can someone please let me know what's happening?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Those are O2 sensor codes. The ECU is not sensing them warming up soon enough. Likely not related to your thruster at all. Although if you’re low on power I’ve seen boats put out random un related codes like that in the past. 

well maybe I am running low on power because when I press the thrusters I see all of the screen dim a bit..

dealer suggested I buy two of the FVPM24-6AGM M24 AGM Battery

and that's exactly what I bought from them

Edited by Delpiero
4 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Those are O2 sensor codes. The ECU is not sensing them warming up soon enough. Likely not related to your thruster at all. Although if you’re low on power I’ve seen boats put out random un related codes like that in the past. 

After some long investigation, I found out this isn't exactly correct.  You are correct on the sensors taking too long to warm up, but it is definitely related to the current draw of the thrusters.  The o2 sensors are powered to help them warm up.  When there is low voltage across the system, the ECM pulls power from the warmup of the o2 sensors first.  When that happens, the o2 sensors can't warm up fast enough to keep the ECM happy and you get those errors.  I typically saw it if I was idling around.  

2 hours ago, Delpiero said:

well maybe I am running low on power because when I press the thrusters I see all of the screen dim a bit..

dealer suggested I buy two of the FVPM24-6AGM M24 AGM Battery

and that's exactly what I bought from them

You typically have to do a few things to install the thruster aftermarket.  Bigger batteries definitely help, but that's not everything you have to do.  If you have an M5/M6, you also need to upgrade the alternator to a high output alternator and upgrade a cable from Malibu.  The std alternator puts out 115 amps.  You have to upgrade to the 170 amp alternator, cable, batteries and I would suggest a dedicated 0 or 2 gauge wire directly up your battery switch to avoid the drop.  The cable replacement is a plug and play, but you have to upgrade it too.  Hope this helps.  

2 hours ago, COOP said:

We are seeing that the 170amp really isnt enough. In fact rumor is that Malibu will be upgrading this as well. These thrusters pull over 200amps.

That's wild these things are so over-the-top.  Even the highest end trolling motors at 100% throttle only pull 50a or so.  These thruster mfrs need to hire some Minn Kota engineers it seems.

I have a 22MXZ 2017 with the 575 engine..

I usually surf for about two hours and then I put the boat on the slip and leave the batteries charging with my 2Bank GENM2.

I am not a mechanic but I know the alternator charges the batteries and since I am just surfing for two hours then charging the batteries myself do I need a more powerful alternator?

I would still say yes, but I would also listen to whatever @COOP says first and foremost.  The issue is the immediate draw during operation.  The ECM can be finicky with sudden power drops.  If you see your dash flicker or you watch the voltage drop much below 11.5 for more than just a quick burst, it is too much draw, especially for an extended amount of time.  You should cycle the thruster in short bursts as much as possible, but I would suggest an alternator upgrade for sure.  

I would also see about running a heavy gauge wire directly up to your battery switch if it isn't already.  If they ran it to the post at the engine, I would rewire it.

>>I would also see about running a heavy gauge wire directly up to your battery switch if it isn't already.  If they ran it to the post at the engine, I would rewire it.

perfect, I will start with this and report back.. thanks for all the help guys !

On 6/14/2022 at 11:18 AM, UWSkier said:

That's wild these things are so over-the-top.  Even the highest end trolling motors at 100% throttle only pull 50a or so.  These thruster mfrs need to hire some Minn Kota engineers it seems.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing.  I went over to Minn Kota's website to see what kind of power they are pulling.  The largest 12v system they make is only 55lbs thrust and claims a max draw of 50 amps.  the EzDrive is rated at 88lbs thrust.  Minkota makes an 80lb motor which pulls (max) 56 amps, but its a 24v setup.

Even though it would require dual batteries (which most of us have) and some specific/dedicated wiring (and likely a ACR (of some sort), its seems like a 24v motor would be MUCH more efficient in terms of power requirements.  

EzDrive 88lb thrust = 12v @ 200amps (lowball) = 2400 watts.  Minn Kota's 80 lb thrust = 24v @ 56amps (max) = 1344 watts.  That's one heck of a different in power!

Edited by Texan32
20 hours ago, JeffK said:

I would still say yes, but I would also listen to whatever @COOP says first and foremost.  The issue is the immediate draw during operation.  The ECM can be finicky with sudden power drops.  If you see your dash flicker or you watch the voltage drop much below 11.5 for more than just a quick burst, it is too much draw, especially for an extended amount of time.  You should cycle the thruster in short bursts as much as possible, but I would suggest an alternator upgrade for sure.  

I would also see about running a heavy gauge wire directly up to your battery switch if it isn't already.  If they ran it to the post at the engine, I would rewire it.

When the voltage drops, current spikes.  Nothing good ever comes from a brownout.  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Delpiero said:

Quick question, I had 2 when having trouble.. Should I change to (1+2) ? 

spacer.png

Yes. In "2" it is only pulling from one battery.

There's a few things.

Your switch being on 2 only is wrong. 1 & 2 is needed to utilize both batteries.

Adding a 3rd DEDICATED/ISOLATED battery is preferred, utilizing a Blue Sea 7611.

Your alternator rating is suspect too, ESPECIALLY at IDLE. 

What size is the power wire from the thruster to the breaker and breaker to main power lug you pictured? It looks like #2 ???

Yes, the cable is 2 awg but I just bought 1 awg to run directly into the batteries.

Is this the right location to connect to... so when I set battery 1+2 it uses both batteries or where should I connect the new 1-awg cables?

spacer.png

or find something like this on the boat and connect the red cable to this?

spacer.png

Edited by Delpiero
9 hours ago, Delpiero said:

spacer.png

that pic IMMEDIATLY made my blood pressure spike!  I have seen catastrophic failures from running unmatched batteries (diesel trucks).  In fact, i worked for a guy who refused to install a single battery (or warrantee a carry out purchase) for a dual battery system.

I have a 2022 m240 with the oem thruster.  I noticed when I pull my boat out and use the thrusters right away my batter goes down to 11 from 13 almost instantly.  Once I needed it a lot right off the bat from some lake currents and I even got a “low battery” alert.  Once I get going the battery goes back to 13. 

any ideas 

2 hours ago, RCorsa said:

I have a 2022 m240 with the oem thruster.  I noticed when I pull my boat out and use the thrusters right away my batter goes down to 11 from 13 almost instantly.  Once I needed it a lot right off the bat from some lake currents and I even got a “low battery” alert.  Once I get going the battery goes back to 13. 

any ideas 

I would suspect saw the battery alert because you pulled on the battery from starting the engine, then immediately hammered the system with the thruster.  The alternator only offers partial charge capability at idle.  Starting the engine draws the battery down. You don't "see" it because by the time the dash instruments active, the voltage has recovered because the alternator is now trying to charge.  Then, on top of that, you start pulling 200+ amps with the thruster, its a heck of a hit on the batteries and alternator, esp at idle.

My gut is telling me that Malibu is underestimating the power requirements of the thruster.  Too small of a batteries?  Did they tell you to run batteries together?  Did they use heavy enough gauge wiring from the battery switch back to the thruster controller?  Did they run independent thruster feed wires or just tag into the starter feed wire?  Did they upgrade the primary wires from the batteries to the battery switch (if needed).

Edited by Texan32

My switch looks nothing like the one above.  It just has off on and combined. It sounds like you should only use the combine switch if you have aloe battery issue? 

1 hour ago, RCorsa said:

My switch looks nothing like the one above.  It just has off on and combined. It sounds like you should only use the combine switch if you have aloe battery issue? 

You have the Option 3 charging system.  Normal operation is in the "on" position.  Combine is only used if for some reason the starting battery is dead and you need to add the house battery to crank.  

I find that the thruster can't push the boat around but so fast.  Running it continuously will kill the battery, a series of short bumps of a few seconds will do about as much as running it continuously and use much less battery.

I went to the marina today and did the new 1 awg install.
I ran a 1-awg red from battery switch to breaker then 1-awg to thrusters
I also ran a 1-awg black from bottom left all the way to thrusters.
I turned ON the boat at the slip and tested the thrusters using battery (1+2) and it seems to be working fine, but I will test thoroughly while surfing on Monday since it was too windy today at lake mead.
little video displaying battery reading, dash voltage and engine voltage https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jj5ScWUIc8GrICT2P9zx6onjrTWbuyLR/view?usp=sharing
let me know if things look good!

spacer.png

Edited by Delpiero

Yes most likely low voltage codes. You want to run power for the thruster to a battery, preferable a third battery. Everytime we got power near the motor for thruster, codes popped up when using.