Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Bimini Misters for 110+ days

Scotters12

I was given a free hydrostatic mister from Ryobi and have been working to turn it into misters on our 2018 23LSV. First test worked decently well while anchored near the shore but now need to incorporate it better into the boat. 

Does anyone have photos of the water tank/pump they use on the new 2022 Malibu boat misters? Would love to get some ideas before I go reinvent the wheel. 

Below is the album of images and videos
https://imgur.com/a/EHPHDHV

spacer.png

Misters for the win! I just installed a misting system myself on my 2011 Axis A20 and it works great! I added my own removable 5 gallon water tank. I highly recommend using a water filter if you plan on using lake water. Next weekend I plan on getting more pictures and doing a write up on my install.

1 hour ago, ryguy1188 said:

Misters for the win! I just installed a misting system myself on my 2011 Axis A20 and it works great! I added my own removable 5 gallon water tank. I highly recommend using a water filter if you plan on using lake water. Next weekend I plan on getting more pictures and doing a write up on my install.

Cool, I'm excited to see yours. Definitely not going to use lake water, the thought of misting it over us while eating is a little too much. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 6:53 AM, ryguy1188 said:

I highly recommend using a water filter if you plan on using lake water.

What type of filter are you using?  According to a sales guy he said they'd be surprised if the nozzles didn't clog with use unless using distilled or RO filtered water...but that was a high pressure system (very fine mist, very fine nozzle size). 

Having said that, I will definitely have one on the next boat...I use a cheap portable one and after initial teasing from guests they all use it on really hot days when jumping back into the water is not convenient.

• Like 1

I don't think a disposable filter would do nearly enough to the lake water to make it safe for mist. Coming from a microbiology major that worked in the water chemistry industry for several years.... You wonder why you used to see those misters everywhere, at least we had them everywhere here in Kansas, now there are none? The change was due to legionnaires disease. That water was coming from city water, that had been treated with chlorine and bromine too. In my opinion if using a mist system it should only have RO water in it, and cleaned regularly. 

Edited by BlindSquirrel
16 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

You wonder why you used to see those misters everywhere, at least we had them everywhere here in Kansas, now there are none? The change was due to legionnaires disease.

That makes a lot of sense. 

Somewhat interesting how that disease got its name.

Yeah, legionella is pretty gnarly. Just needs to be airborne to get to the lungs, then goes to town. I bet the east coasters on here have heard more about it in the past few years. I know New York requires testing of all the water towers on the hotel/ apartment buildings now. Shower steam is another great way to get it airborne. 

Not trying to freak anyone out... Reality is, if you're a healthy non-smoker, the odds are very much in your favor of nothing happening. Older people and immune compromised are much higher risk of infection.

But bottom line, presuming I'm not the only one that pees in the lake.. even put through a filter, I wouldn't want to breathe in that water.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Definitely not using lake water. We use the misters while eating snacks and misting lake water is not appealing. So far I hooked up a 5gal camping water tank but still interested in seeing what the new boats are using.