Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Issues or something larger?

I am only a few weeks into owning my new to me 2016 T23 so I am still trying to learn how everything works and I appreciate all of everyones comments and assistance!. This weekend when I was first taking the boat out and I cut the batter switch to position 1 everything was good. Battery voltage was good and the boat started. The next time that day that I went to start it as soon as I turned the key I heard a faint pop sound and everything went dark. Stereo, dash, ect. Like the boat was in the off position. Turned it to the off position. Waited a few minutes and turned it back to position 1. Nothing at all. Moved the switch to position 2 and everything powered up just like normal and I was able to crank the boat and continue running for the day. Logic says I have a bad battery but didn't know if there would be anything else that I need to check? I have looked and everything I can find says there are no fuses on the boat just the breakers by the drivers seat at the helm none of which are tripped. Current the boat has 2 Deka Marine Master Group 24 batteries in it. Replace both with the same or is there a better option out there for these boats?

You could have a bad battery, a loose or disconnect battery cable, or a faulty battery switch.  There are plenty of other fuses and breakers in the boat, at several other locations, other than the ones below the throttle lever. 

I would recommend batteries that are at least 650 CCA or higher, but check your engine owner's manual for what the minimum recommendation is.

1 hour ago, csleaver said:

You could have a bad battery, a loose or disconnect battery cable, or a faulty battery switch.  There are plenty of other fuses and breakers in the boat, at several other locations, other than the ones below the throttle lever. 

I would recommend batteries that are at least 650 CCA or higher, but check your engine owner's manual for what the minimum recommendation is.

@csleaver I didn't even thing about the battery switch. I did check the battery connections and all of those are tight and secure unless it is loose in the battery switch. I have never had a batter switch on any of my previous boats. So am I correct in assuming that everything past the switch to all the boat systems is the same path? So saying that if there was a fuse or something that blew past the switch then it should not work from either battery correct? Since battery 2 works fine along with all systems on the boat then my issue would be somewhere from battery 1 to the switch correct? Am I correct in my train of thought here?

It is possible the battery connections are tight, but corroded so not getting a good connection.  I suggest remove the battery 1 connections, clean them, and reconnect.  Could be the battery switch went bad or the red cable from battery 1 where it connects to the switch.  Could also be the other end of the black cable is corroded or loose (the end away from the battery).

Issue was 2 fold. The 5 year old battery's in the boat finally decided to give up. I also took the battery switch off and when I did a bunch of little metal dust shavings fell out and and there was a couple of metal shaving dust bunnies floating around in the back of it between the connections and you could see where something had arced . So I went ahead and replaced it since I had ordered one from Amazon. New switch and 2 new battery's and everything was back to running like new. Thanks to everyone for their comments and help!