Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Part Number for Monsoon 340 Water Circulation Pump? (Not raw water pump)

Could anyone help me find the right replacement water circulation pump for my monsoon 340? It’s in a 2005 Malibu VLX. 

Absolutely everywhere I search comes up with raw water pumps.

I’ve got a squeak at low RPM that won’t go away with lubricant. I’ve replaced the raw water pump, alternator, starter and belt. Nothing seems to help. At 1500 hours I’m guessing the water circulation pump should be replaced anyways.

other ideas for squeaky troubleshooting are welcome. It’s not continuous and it varies with the rpm.

squeak squeak squeak squeak mean I’m going to lose my freaking mind anytime I’m in a no wake zone.

🐭🐭🐭🤬😡😤

The Indmar part number for the circulation pump is 551045.  I have had issues using circulation pumps from Sierra, Volvo Penta, and Mercruiser on Indmar engines with v-belts.  The v-belt pulley may rub on the water pump if the Indmar pump is not used.  On Indmar engines with the serpentine belt I have had no problem using other brands of circulation pumps. 

Use a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the squeek.  A length of heater hose works great. PLEASE be careful around moving belts, pulleys etc!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, csleaver said:

The Indmar part number for the circulation pump is 551045.  I have had issues using circulation pumps from Sierra, Volvo Penta, and Mercruiser on Indmar engines with v-belts.  The v-belt pulley may rub on the water pump if the Indmar pump is not used.  On Indmar engines with the serpentine belt I have had no problem using other brands of circulation pumps. 

I’ll have to check but I think mine is the v belt. 

Sierra 18-3599-2 is what I successfully used for a 2000 LSV, Indmar Monsoon 325 w/ v-belt recently.  At the time I researched it pretty in depth due to pulley position/fitment concerns, but don't recall what led me to use this one.  Maybe I just got lucky, but have roughly 80 hours on it with no problems (v-belt rubbing or otherwise).

Oof, I replaced the circulation pump and the sound remains. I think it's actually in the driveline. I will take a video with a good microphone and make another thread. It sounds like "Singing", a higher pitched whine that varies in pitch, increasing in frequency with speed. Only happens when I am in gear.

I think I need to bring it in, but I will see about picking up a mechanics stethoscope as well.

I know the damper plate was replaced at 800 hours or so (currently 1550 on the clock). I have also replaced the following in the last few years: starter, alternator, raw water pump, belt, and impeller. As well as a full tune up.

Anyone have ideas? Things I am thinking now are:

1. Shaft Seal
  2. Strut Bearing
  3. Driveshaft bent.
    1. The boat has run partially aground on loose sand but it was years ago. It bent one blade of the prop
  4. Problem with V-Drive
  5. Problem with Transmission
    1. Unsure if I check the ATF level with the dipstick screwed in or just resting on the top.
  6. Raw Water Pump Or Impeller
    1. Both were replaced late last season, and it stopped an intermittent squeaking, I am just left with the "singing"

Shaft Seal - Check this, I've seen these "sing" when the seal is worn and alignment is out.

Strut Bearing - Something to look at, but I dont think it would make the sound you described

Driveshaft bent. - Check this while looking at the shaft seal

Unsure if I check the ATF level with the dipstick screwed in or just resting on the top. - You check with it resting on top unscrewed

24 minutes ago, COOP said:

Shaft Seal - Check this, I've seen these "sing" when the seal is worn and alignment is out.

Strut Bearing - Something to look at, but I dont think it would make the sound you described

Driveshaft bent. - Check this while looking at the shaft seal

Unsure if I check the ATF level with the dipstick screwed in or just resting on the top. - You check with it resting on top unscrewed

Thanks for the info! I can't click your links for some reason though. Not sure if others can. 

There is a bit of vibration in the driveline coming onto plane I forgot to mention, but this prop has a nick in it. I have three props and should likely have one or two rebuilt. I will definitely try my other two this weekend to see if anything changes.

Should I put some more time in diagnosing this squeak myself you think, or just bite the bullet at the dealer? It's an 05 with 1500+ hours so I like to DIY where I can, but I haven't done a lot of motor mount alignment and shaft work in the past. I have done so much DIY work on the lake house this year that my back is sore and I'm only 39. Big oof. I just want to wakeboard :) 

I'm looking forward to reading through your links if they get updated!

Edited by 95echelon
adding stuff
5 minutes ago, COOP said:

They arent links. Just stating what needs to be looked at. 

Thanks! I'll start doing some searching. I have put 500+ hours on this boat since I bought it so I am guessing the shaft seal should be replaced no matter what right? It's not leaking or anything, I could check with the PO to see about if it was replaced with a GFE seal.

Would you happen to have any recommendations on a runout indicator with a good price to accuracy ratio? I ordered a mechanics stethoscope today. I am planning to get out on the boat this weekend with a podcasting microphone to get a video for y'all.

I genuinely appreciate you helping me out, and I pay forward the advice I have gotten here over the years. I've been able to help countless friends and neighbors who have inboards.

52 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Turn the music up?

I'm beginning to get to the point that I prefer the sound of the bow spray and the wind to tunes these days. It seems others on the lake play enough music for me (and obviously didn't put the wet-sounds EQ in to turn down their damn HLCD tower speakers at midnight).

Hopefully if the economy declines, the wally ratio of inbound owners will decline with it.

3 hours ago, 95echelon said:

Thanks! I'll start doing some searching. I have put 500+ hours on this boat since I bought it so I am guessing the shaft seal should be replaced no matter what right? It's not leaking or anything, I could check with the PO to see about if it was replaced with a GFE seal.

Would you happen to have any recommendations on a runout indicator with a good price to accuracy ratio? I ordered a mechanics stethoscope today. I am planning to get out on the boat this weekend with a podcasting microphone to get a video for y'all.

I genuinely appreciate you helping me out, and I pay forward the advice I have gotten here over the years. I've been able to help countless friends and neighbors who have inboards.

A cheap way to check the shaft is to tape some solid gauge wire to the bottom of the boat, point the free end right at the end of the shaft as a reference and spin it by hand.  If you're shaft is moving relative to your 'reference' you've got an issue to take care of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, 95echelon said:

I'm beginning to get to the point that I prefer the sound of the bow spray and the wind to tunes these days. It seems others on the lake play enough music for me (and obviously didn't put the wet-sounds EQ in to turn down their damn HLCD tower speakers at midnight).

Hopefully if the economy declines, the wally ratio of inbound owners will decline with it.

It's a mechanic joke.

19 hours ago, 95echelon said:

There is a bit of vibration in the driveline coming onto plane I forgot to mention, but this prop has a nick in it.

That's your culprit.  Prop sing happens at idle, but when you add power it will cavitate and cause vibration.  Switch props and see if it changes.

• Like 3
On 6/22/2022 at 8:44 AM, formulaben said:

That's your culprit.  Prop sing happens at idle, but when you add power it will cavitate and cause vibration.  Switch props and see if it changes.

You know, in 27 years of boating on inboards I have never heard of prop sing. Looking forward to switching it out tomorrow.

On 6/21/2022 at 5:06 PM, TomH said:

A cheap way to check the shaft is to tape some solid gauge wire to the bottom of the boat, point the free end right at the end of the shaft as a reference and spin it by hand.  If you're shaft is moving relative to your 'reference' you've got an issue to take care of. 

I just installed a tesla charger and I've got a f-ton of 6 ga leftover so hey why not!

In my experience, prop sing usually happens after a prop has been reworked, and specifically, if they leave the trailing edge of the prop with a knife edge.  I had one prop fixed at a shop I'll never use again that had ridiculous sing at idle - drove me nuts.  Doing some filing to get a square edge on those trailing edges took the sing away.  It's certainly possible that the ding in your prop is causing your noise though.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:19 AM, TomH said:

In my experience, prop sing usually happens after a prop has been reworked, and specifically, if they leave the trailing edge of the prop with a knife edge.  I had one prop fixed at a shop I'll never use again that had ridiculous sing at idle - drove me nuts.  Doing some filing to get a square edge on those trailing edges took the sing away.  It's certainly possible that the ding in your prop is causing your noise though.

that makes sense actually as i bought my spare on craigslist and it had been repaired before at some point.