Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1985 Malibu Outboard will not move up or down now

Hello everyone, I am new to boating and took my family out for the first time yesterday on our new boat. We have a 1985 Malibu with an inboard/outboard. Everything was fine until trying to raise the outboard to get the boat back on the trailer. I was able to get the boat on the trailer but the outboard is stuck down and I couldn’t take the boat anywhere. It’s currently in the dry storage lot. The switches work and you can hear what sounds like a car starter not engaging sound in the engine bay. 

Can I manually raise it up somehow to get it out of the marina? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

The sound you describe seems like your battery is dead.

You say it is outboard, then you say it is inboard/outboard.  What exactly do you have, and what brand is it?

Most outboards will have a release on the tilt pump that will allow you to lift it.

welcome to the crew.

new to boating is a big learning curve.  

an outboard motor is hung on the top of the transom (vertical at the stern (back) of the boat) and is a complete system (engine+gearbox+propeller).

an inboard/outboard has a, typically, automotive engine mounted within the boat and an out-drive located outside of the transom.

an inboard rig has an automotive engine, mounted within the boat with a prop-shaft the exits the hull on the bottom of the boat.

i suspect that you are relating that the outdrive on your i/o won't respond to the switch.  i'd start by finding the reservoir for the hydraulics and check the fluid level.  next, does the hydraulic pump whine when the control switch is actuated?  if not you may have an electrical issue (fuse blown, wire not attached to the battery, bad switch, etc.).

check a few things out and get back w us.

Edited by tvano
  • Like 2

Check your hydraulic fluid levels before doing that. If you are hearing whining with the switch, sounds  like the motor is working.  Could also have someone try to llift outdrive while you are pushing switch

10 hours ago, 85Malibu said:

It’s an inboard/outboard. Has a 3.8 liter gm motor. Not sure what brand the outboard is. 

Is it black and say "Mercruiser" on it?  If not, it could be a Volvo/Penta or OMC.  It will likely say somewhere on it (usually several places).

Please post a photo of the inboard engine and the outdrive.