Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does Anyone Else Hate the Newer Axis Throttles?

theloungelife

Context, used to have a 2013 A22 and a 2003 VLX before that.  Both throttles were by wire.  They had a ball grip.  It was easy to barely engage them for getting the boat on/off the trailer or picking up someone from the dock.  Enter the 2022 A22 throttle (assume same on other current Axis).  The pull up piece under the grip takes a good amount of force to engage up.  The boat is super touchy when moving from neutral to impulse speeds.  Trailer on/off + picking people up from the dock is way harder.  Plus I like to power load onto the trailer.  I know not all agree with that method, but yeah.  Throttle disengages unless human holding in place.  Maybe that's a safety feature, but annoying unless I have another competent boat driver in the boat to hold it in the correct spot while front is clipped.

This might sound like whining, because it kind of is.  Anyone feeling this or found fixes to these issues?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  Maybe there is some setting in the dash...

For pictures, the first is the older style throttle, the 2nd is the new one.  This might be a wire vs electric issue but I've driven other brand boats with electric that didn't have this issue.  It also makes the boat pretty much a no go for beginner drivers to do dock pickups.  

294668854_ScreenShot2022-06-10at2_55_37PM.png.3f146827d908d95b1c1fb2f468c398e7.png 1038363928_ScreenShot2022-06-10at2_58_34PM.thumb.png.c5c6ec15340d009e4378e556571b0689.png

mine (2019) definitely has a no-man's land between idle forward and 1500rpm-ish where constant attention is required.  shift from neutral to idle is smooth and gentle, and if i'm at 2krpm or higher it'll stay wherever i leave it if i take hand off the throttle.  but if trying to go down a no-wake zone at 6mph @ ~1000rpm, then removing hand from throttle means it'll rebound to idling forward in a second or two.  

so now if in a long no-wake zone (or letting kids drive), i simply set cruise control to 6.0 and jam throttle down all the way 

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been getting more used to it myself, but frustrating.  Just tough when you need someone else to drive.  Have to give them a pre talk if they're experienced.  If they're not experienced drivers, mostly don't want them piloting unless I'm away from docks/hard objects etc.  Bummer as my wife falls into the 2nd category.  Want her to build confidence but the throttle doesn't help.

Could be the engine not agreeing with the throttle lever. My 2016 A20 has electronic throttle with the older 5.7L 350hp engine and never have any problem with throttle staying in place. It feels touchy for someone coming from a cable throttle, but it’s always predictable and maintains slow speeds nicely. 

Fortunately, for years now my wife launches and trailers the boat so she has mad skills for that. Unfortunately, she is still kind of a chili dipping spaz when it comes to picking the rider up. Pick your battles as they say. 😁

Edited by wdr
Sp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, theloungelife said:

If they're not experienced drivers, mostly don't want them piloting unless I'm away from docks/hard objects etc.  Bummer as my wife falls into the 2nd category.

My wife has been at the low end of the 2nd category for 38 years now....

As for the throttle, it sounds like the detent spring for the neutral lock is just too strong.  You could take it apart and put a weaker spring in it.  From your description, it needs it anyway.

1 hour ago, justgary said:

My wife has been at the low end of the 2nd category for 38 years now....

As for the throttle, it sounds like the detent spring for the neutral lock is just too strong.  You could take it apart and put a weaker spring in it.  From your description, it needs it anyway.

He's referring to the dead spot where there's zero gain for throttle movement for a whole inch or two at idle 650rpm, then it jumps to 1200.

4 hours ago, wdr said:

Mine is the same way on my 2019 LSV. Kind of just learned to live with like the POC 8 speed trans in my 2015 Denali. 

I'm with you on the POC 15 Denali trans. Finally parted ways with it. I will say though I find the throttle a lot better for me than my 2011 247LSV with the LSA. I hated loading it on the trailer but our new A24 is a lot smoother for me.

Edited by Nemesis

Yes my throttle is the same way.  Unfortunately I have to cruise in a lot of no wake zones and this system is not good for that speed.  I like the cruise control set idea and will try that next time I'm out.  

Any chance you have throttle in sport mode? It’s crazy touchy is sport mode but really fun to drive. You can change with the screen menus. I prefer in standard mode. 

I'm not seeing these problems on my 2022, i can cruise in a no wake zone at 7mph without touching the throttle

there is a dead spot, but that is up to the throttle profile, sport or non sport

22 hours ago, Bagar20 said:

Any chance you have throttle in sport mode? It’s crazy touchy is sport mode but really fun to drive. You can change with the screen menus. I prefer in standard mode. 

I was thinking the same thing and I tried the sport mode and switched it back after a few minutes.  I think the throttle in standard mode is really good. 

On our 19 A24 we had to use the cruise at 6 mph for it to hold.  That thing moved around like crazy on the low RPM ranges.  With the new T250 the things hold great.   Pretty sure we are in standard mode.  No issues what so ever right now.  The first few hours the throttle was "sticky" but now that we have 15 hours its great.  Was the same way with the last one.  They all are a smidge different and still getting to know the new boat.

On 6/10/2022 at 4:02 PM, theloungelife said:

Context, used to have a 2013 A22 and a 2003 VLX before that.  Both throttles were by wire.  This might be a wire vs electric issue but I've driven other brand boats with electric that didn't have this issue.  It also makes the boat pretty much a no go for beginner drivers to do dock pickups.  

Just for clarification - throttle by wire and electric throttle mean the same thing - no physical connection between the throttle and engine.  I think you mean that your 2003 and 2013 had throttle cables - although I'm shocked that a 2013 would have had one, maybe Axis was still 5-6 years behind the equipment they were putting in Malibus.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Just for clarification - throttle by wire and electric throttle mean the same thing - no physical connection between the throttle and engine.  I think you mean that your 2003 and 2013 had throttle cables - although I'm shocked that a 2013 would have had one, maybe Axis was still 5-6 years behind the equipment they were putting in Malibus.

This,

I noticed a drastic difference in sensitivity going from my 99 response to 08 lsv. The electronic has less tactical feel, but it's nice after getting used to is.

If your throttle is falling to neutral on it's own that sounds like something is going on. All the nice boats I've been on hold throttle position pretty well.

As to needing it to power load. Take a look at https://www.ramp-n-clamp.com/ . Works really well.