Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Size of wheels and tires

Brandonloos21

Does anyone know the bolt pattern and size on the wheels and tires for a 2022 Malibu dual axle trailer? Going to look into ordering some larger wheels potentially.

Thanks in advance.

43 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Does anyone know the bolt pattern and size on the wheels and tires for a 2022 Malibu dual axle trailer? Going to look into ordering some larger wheels potentially.

Thanks in advance.

Factory 18’s are 18x9, I believe. The bolt pattern is 5x??? (I want to say 5x4.5, but you should validate). I know for sure the wheel offset is +18ish.

The tires are 255/55R18. 

If you don’t have 18’s from the factory, your trailer fenders are too narrow to run the factory sizes I reference above. So you’d have to do some “math” to figure out how to do narrower 18’s that will tuck under your skinny fenders. 

• Like 1

Here's a guide to help determine your bolt pattern, I just had to use it last week to determine my bolt pattern on my Boatmate trailer.  It ended up being 5x4.5"

When measuring start with 1" centerline of the first bolt (essentially cutting an inch since not all tape measures are created equal).

Word of caution on the 18" tires, you cannot run to just any tire store to get a replacement the same day.  No one near a main interstate from Nashville, TN to West Monroe, LA had one on a Friday when I needed one or two during my 8 hour trip home.  Would have been sometime Monday at the earliest to have one arrive at the tire stores.

1654889351151832707852539100928.jpg

20220605_180604.jpg

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

Here's a guide to help determine your bolt pattern, I just had to use it last week to determine my bolt pattern on my Boatmate trailer.  It ended up being 5x4.5"

When measuring start with 1" centerline of the first bolt (essentially cutting an inch since not all tape measures are created equal).

Word of caution on the 18" tires, you cannot run to just any tire store to get a replacement the same day.  No one near a main interstate from Nashville, TN to West Monroe, LA had one on a Friday when I needed one or two during my 8 hour trip home.  Would have been sometime Monday at the earliest to have one arrive at the tire stores.

20220605_180604.jpg

Hey @jwl019 Did you get a new ride? You should have hollered as you were driving through.

Hijack off.

43 minutes ago, BearCreekBum said:

Hey @jwl019 Did you get a new ride? You should have hollered as you were driving through.

Hijack off.

Yes sir I did, '16 Ri217!  It was supposed to be a fast trip, but did not turn out that way. Water tested boat on Percy Priest Friday morning, bought boat, then started the long adventure home.

Pics: 5 year old front tire hit fender which caused it to blow 1 hour into the drive.

Trailer had the 15" spare so mounted, hit up 5 tire stores in Huntsville with no luck. Continued rolling on.  I think the smaller spare is what kept it from rubbing the fender.

Not too far from home (near MS/LA border on I-20), rear tire blew and messed up fender and took out a brake line.  Never found any of the 18" tires to replace the 1st when calling around everywhere along the route. Carried on slowly with only the spare and front hub ratchet strapped up with no brakes.

Made it home finally on Saturday.  Monday I ordered tires and installed Tuesday.  Tuesday morning I confirmed axles and brake lines with Boatmate and ordered.

I am pretty sure the bad/failing torsion axle caused the initial tire blow out, but age of tires surely did not help any.  When I started the drive home, I noticed it was a little lower than the rest, but did not look like it would rub. The rough rodes and 70 mph sped the failure up a bit I guess.

20220605_125745.jpg

20220605_141251.jpg

20220608_105217.jpg

• Like 2
On 6/10/2022 at 1:15 PM, IXFE said:

The tires are 255/55R18. 

If you don’t have 18’s from the factory, your trailer fenders are too narrow to run the factory sizes I reference above. So you’d have to do some “math” to figure out how to do narrower 18’s that will tuck under your skinny fenders. 

I know the difficulty buying 255/55R18s, but have another tire question.  My 2017 Malibu tandem trailer came with OHTSU ST 5000 All Season Steel Belted Radials. I recently had a tire shop refuse to mount an all season radial on my wheel because they said it's not safe and in the event of a blow out they'd be liable.  My confusion is about using radial tires on a boat trailer, is it safe?  Is there something special about the OHTSU tires versus other radial tires that I'm not understanding?  Thanks.

Edited by older-skidog
On 6/10/2022 at 2:36 PM, jwl019 said:

Just as a general rule.  On boat trailers a 5 lug pattern is 5 on 4.5 and a 6 lug is 6 on 5.5

Pretty rare to run across anything else.

1 hour ago, older-skidog said:

I know the difficulty buying 255/55R18s, but have another tire question.  My 2017 Malibu tandem trailer came with OHTSU ST 5000 All Season Steel Belted Radials. I recently had a tire shop refuse to mount an all season radial on my wheel because they said it's not safe and in the event of a blow out they'd be liable.  My confusion is about using radial tires on a boat trailer, is it safe?  Is there something special about the OHTSU tires versus other radial tires that I'm not understanding?  Thanks.

While those tires come stock, they aren't proper trailer tires.  Most shops will mount them, not all.

Considering the factory and trailer mfg consider them safe, they are probably fine.  But i wouldnt' run any old radial, i'd stick to trailer tires if i switched models.

2 Biggest trailer tire tips:  Run a rated PSI (rated max on Trailer tires), and replace every 5 yrs.  They rot before they wear out, tread depth has nothing to do with age.

Not much help, but my 0.02.  

On my car trailers I ran nothing but e rated truck tires.  The trick when you get to the low profile stuff is trying to find something with an adequate load rating.  As for a tire shop not mounting them - you bring them a wheel, how the heck do they know it is for a trailer?  Tell them it is for a streetrod if they are the nosy type.  Can't recall anyone ever asking me what vehicle a wheel was for on a carry in mount.

Edited by oldjeep

Thanks for the replies.

I decided to purchase a Firestone Destination LE3.  Same dimensions, load rating and max pressure (50 psi) as the OHTSU ST 5000 that were on trailer originally.  Since it's a spare it may take some time to learn whether this was a good decision.  

I do wish a Malibu representative could explain why Malibu decided to outfit their trailers with anything but readily available and conventional trailer tires (and wheels).  Nothing worse than being 100-miles from home and needing to buy a tire that is not readily available.

My lug-pattern is 5 x 4.5".  For 2023 season I might consider replacing OEM gear with a set of four 16" wheels and tires, something like Trailer King ST235/80R16 E 10-Ply.  Not as sexy looking as the originals, but perhaps more practical for the boat that routinely goes on 50-500 miles trips.

50psi max says that it is likely only a c rated tire, which most stock trailer tires are and they are typically underrated for the actual load of the boat and trailer.  As for the why on 18 inch tires and wheels - customers demand big stupid bling trailer wheels so they provide them. The 15 inch factory combo is the best for towing if only for the range of heavy load rated tires available - just not as pretty.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
On 6/16/2022 at 8:04 PM, older-skidog said:

My lug-pattern is 5 x 4.5".  For 2023 season I might consider replacing OEM gear with a set of four 16" wheels and tires, something like Trailer King ST235/80R16 E 10-Ply.  Not as sexy looking as the originals, but perhaps more practical for the boat that routinely goes on 50-500 miles trips.

I fully agree with this.  When my tires hit expiration, i'm selling my fancy wheels and getting black steely's.  I HATE fancy trailer wheels.  Trailers are for function.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 3:02 PM, oldjeep said:

On my car trailers I ran nothing but e rated truck tires.  The trick when you get to the low profile stuff is trying to find something with an adequate load rating.  As for a tire shop not mounting them - you bring them a wheel, how the heck do they know it is for a trailer?  Tell them it is for a streetrod if they are the nosy type.  Can't recall anyone ever asking me what vehicle a wheel was for on a carry in mount.

More and more big box tire shops will not mount (or even repair) "incorrect" tires on a vehicle or trailer.  Its all about liability.  Heck, i drove a Ford Transit that is supposed to have XL 14" tires.  The Ford Dealership (where the boss insisted we take it), put non-XL tires on.  Had a flat and Discount Tire refused to repair it because it was the wrong load range for the vehicle.  They are simply minimizing their responsibility should tire failure happen down the road.  Annoying, but I don't blame them.

But i do agree with the carry out.  While you might get some push back, you can always claim its for an off road or farm/ranch vehicle.

• Like 1

It may have been because the original tires were ST radial. They must have assumed that was the original and would only replace with another ST type. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a new boat/trailer and the load rating on the tires makes me nervous.

The boat is a 2022 Wakesetter 24 MXZ with listed dry weight of 6000 lb.  Malibu dual axle trailer supposedly weighs 1300 lb from what I read online.  Fuel tank is 85 gal so when full that would add an extra 552 lb.  Gear would be around 100 lb

So grand total would be about 8000 lb

Trailer tires from the factory are Trailer Master ST Pro ST215/75R14 108/103L, load rating D, which is rated at 1929 lb.  So 4 tires would be total weight limit of 7716 lb

I read online that total weight limit should be lower than 90% of total tire rating, which means I need tires that can support 2,220 lb each

I'm considering buying 4 new tires/rims but it seems like these higher weight tires are hard to find in a 14 inch diameter, so I would have to move up to 15 or 16 inches.

But that would cause problems I think because the fenders may not support larger tires.

1 hour ago, platon20 said:

I just got a new boat/trailer and the load rating on the tires makes me nervous.

The boat is a 2022 Wakesetter 24 MXZ with listed dry weight of 6000 lb.  Malibu dual axle trailer supposedly weighs 1300 lb from what I read online.  Fuel tank is 85 gal so when full that would add an extra 552 lb.  Gear would be around 100 lb

Trailer tires from the factory are Trailer Master ST Pro ST215/75R14 108/103L, load rating D, which is rated at 1929 lb.  So 4 tires would be total weight limit of 7716 lb

I read online that total weight limit should be lower than 90% of total tire rating, which means I need tires that can support 2,220 lb each

I'm considering buying 4 new tires/rims but it seems like these higher weight tires are hard to find in a 14 inch diameter, so I would have to move up to 15 or 16 inches.

But that would cause problems I think because the fenders may not support larger tires.

Yep the tires Malibu puts on our boat trailers are meant for looks. The tires they put on are not trailer tires they are light duty street tires. Not made for these large boats. 

Yeah and the weight you have listed for your boat is wrong. Do not believe those numbers from Malibu. I bet your boat is right at 7k dry and the trailer is well over 1500.  My 2020 23 MXZ is 7k plus the 1500 pound trailer. Full tank and lake ready, I was right at 8900. We took our annual Shasta trip and with all our gear, food, coolers, clothes and everything else we were at 10k. Def not made for a half ton truck. 

1 hour ago, platon20 said:

I'd want a quality load range E tire (at least) on that set up inflated to max pressure.  Especially if you are driving in heat or driving at or near the tire's speed rating.   75mph + hot day + maxed-out tire ratings = blow out where you least want it to blow.   Heat kills tires and tires get hot driving fast on black asphalt in the summer.  

9 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Heat kills tires and tires get hot driving fast on black asphalt in the summer.

So true.  Running low air pressure also heats the sidewalls due to continuous flexing.  Keep trailer tires inflated to the maximum specified on the sidewall.

• Like 2

I guess I need to have the truck and trailer weighed, but the nearest CAT scale is 40 miles away and it's at a major truck hub that's busy 24/7.  Since I dont really know what I'm doing with these scales, I'd hate to mess up the flow of the trucks and I can imagine some of the dirty looks I'd get from them.  

Has anybody had their rig weighed?  What other places besides the CAT scales can do it?

I weighed my boat before I bought it. Did the same with the last boat as well. 

Gravel and landscaping places sometimes have scales you can use. 

15 hours ago, platon20 said:

And Malibu would say that you are still within the load limit since you subtract your tounge weight from the 8K to get the load carried by the trailer tires.  But yeah, on the hairy edge.  

G/Y Endurance 215/75R14 have a load rating of 2200lbs.  Going "up" to a 205/75R15 G/Y will net less than 1/2" in diameter and would likely fit without question.  However, the 15" tire actually loses 50lbs in load capacity.