Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying a Ford Super Duty in today’s market…

IXFE

On 6/17/2022 at 9:23 AM, SmoothbrainA22 said:

Still trying to convince the CFO I need an upgrade...so far the boat has led me from 2016 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock (loved her) --> 2016 F150 FX4 Lariat --> ________________. 

@pauley71 quoted you since I'll be up at Lake Anna for a few days in August, just sayin' :whistle:

Hit me up!  We rent our house about 6 weeks in the summer so it depends on the week.  

12 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Hit me up!  We rent our house about 6 weeks in the summer so it depends on the week.  

Looks like August 9th and 10th. Let me know if you are around. We are crashing a buddies lakefront property and I'm bringing the A22.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 10:21 AM, SmoothbrainA22 said:

Looks like August 9th and 10th. Let me know if you are around. We are crashing a buddies lakefront property and I'm bringing the A22.

Ugh .. Looks like those are rental dates  :(

Want to know how a brand new F250 Tremor with a 6.7L Powerstroke runs on gasoline???  ... not very well.

BLUF - It wasn't me!
Took delivery of my brand new truck last night (looks just like @IXFE truck).  Had normal dealer troubles with them trying to back out of the deal ($4k under, not great but not bad).  Thankfully I'm really good at documentation!  Take the truck for a spin around the block and just noticed a couple shutters, but mostly a long crank - didn't think much of it.  Finished the deal and went to drive home .. somethings not right.  Go back and tell them I'm going to leave it for them to look at it.

Today, sales manager calls and says a new guy filled it with GASOLINE (not diesel).  $10k in repairs and the entire fuel system has to be flush, drained, replace the HPFP, filters and injectors.  Of course he wants me to back out of the deal b/c they haven't 'sold' it yet so they can take the truck, fix it, sell it as new and make back their $10k.  I need a truck but don't want one that has had a bunch of sh!t replaced (long term impacts?  maybe nothing).  Told them to fix the truck (~10 days) AND I want a new order in October when it opens at a similar (or larger) discount to offset paying sales tax twice ($2,900).  That way I get a truck now that I can drive and a new on in Jan/Feb (hopefully).  Just waiting on them to agree to terms.  If I sell this one in my market I could likely make a few to offset the sales tax.  What would you do?  Other than lose your sh!t (I did that already).  I thought about having them throw in an extended service plan, but I don't keep anything that long ...hahaha

Lastly, I wanted the service document to state that the work was discovered before the owner took possession (dealer problem, not dumb owner mistake).  When I resale, I never had someone ask for service docs, but it could impact resale since I should disclose it (if they ask).

• Sad 3
On 7/1/2022 at 6:28 PM, pauley71 said:

Ugh .. Looks like those are rental dates  :(

All good brother, next time! I’m in Virginia Beach. 

On 7/1/2022 at 5:41 PM, pauley71 said:

Want to know how a brand new F250 Tremor with a 6.7L Powerstroke runs on gasoline???  ... not very well.

BLUF - It wasn't me!
Took delivery of my brand new truck last night (looks just like @IXFE truck).  Had normal dealer troubles with them trying to back out of the deal ($4k under, not great but not bad).  Thankfully I'm really good at documentation!  Take the truck for a spin around the block and just noticed a couple shutters, but mostly a long crank - didn't think much of it.  Finished the deal and went to drive home .. somethings not right.  Go back and tell them I'm going to leave it for them to look at it.

Today, sales manager calls and says a new guy filled it with GASOLINE (not diesel).  $10k in repairs and the entire fuel system has to be flush, drained, replace the HPFP, filters and injectors.  Of course he wants me to back out of the deal b/c they haven't 'sold' it yet so they can take the truck, fix it, sell it as new and make back their $10k.  I need a truck but don't want one that has had a bunch of sh!t replaced (long term impacts?  maybe nothing).  Told them to fix the truck (~10 days) AND I want a new order in October when it opens at a similar (or larger) discount to offset paying sales tax twice ($2,900).  That way I get a truck now that I can drive and a new on in Jan/Feb (hopefully).  Just waiting on them to agree to terms.  If I sell this one in my market I could likely make a few to offset the sales tax.  What would you do?  Other than lose your sh!t (I did that already).  I thought about having them throw in an extended service plan, but I don't keep anything that long ...hahaha

Lastly, I wanted the service document to state that the work was discovered before the owner took possession (dealer problem, not dumb owner mistake).  When I resale, I never had someone ask for service docs, but it could impact resale since I should disclose it (if they ask).

Sounds like they are going to "hide" it if you back out on the deal, but I would be willing to bet if you make them repair the fuel system they will document it and it will show up in the service reports for that VIN. I wouldn't trust that dealer now that you know how they operate.

• Like 2
On 7/1/2022 at 5:41 PM, pauley71 said:

BLUF - It wasn't me!

Honestly, I would get my cash back and run. No reason to take the damaged one (although it would be ok after repairs, for this common problem) but how could you ever trust this dealer again?

(Disclaimer: I have dealer trust issues)

Edited by Bozboat
On 7/2/2022 at 9:23 PM, MLBurns said:

Sounds like they are going to "hide" it if you back out on the deal, but I would be willing to bet if you make them repair the fuel system they will document it and it will show up in the service reports for that VIN. I wouldn't trust that dealer now that you know how they operate.

I agree.  I have already requested the service records state it was performed prior to owner taking delivery.  I buy/sell A LOT and NEVER had anyone ask for them.  Yes, it could impact resale with some buyers but not most given the supply issues.  However, valid point.

On 7/2/2022 at 9:35 PM, Bozboat said:

Honestly, I would get my cash back and run. No reason to take the damaged one (although it would be ok after repairs, for this common problem) but how could you ever trust this dealer again?

(Disclaimer: I have dealer trust issues)

HAHA .. I trust none of them but once I take delivery, I will work with my dealer that I do trust.  We have 15+ Ford dealers in my metro area so I never have to go back to them. 

They want me to walk away b/c there are none available and orders don't open until Oct 17th.  I need a truck and resale will be strong and 98% chance I will have zero issues with it.  I talked to a diesel mechanic and he said as long as they replace everything past the HPFP and clean everything prior, there should be no issues with it.

@pauley71that just sucks.  Sorry to hear.  I understand the need for a truck, but IIWM I'd follow the advise of @Bozboatand run.  IIRC, the HPFP is lubricated by fuel.  That means that in your case, even though it didn't run long, your HPFP was running with little lubricant.  I'd be concerned about potential damage there as those things are sensitive to begin with.  If you're only going to have it a few months, maybe not a big deal, but I would want nothing to do with it. 

1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

@Slayer they are replacing everything (HPFP, reg, HP rails, injectors, filters, etc..).  Anything before the HPFP is cleaned/flushed/drained. 

Thanks.  I misread your post.  Somehow I read they're replacing everything downstream of the HPFP.

• 2 months later...

Anyone seeing pricing relief? My neighbor is trying to buy a new V8 raptor, think they sticker at $110k. Our local dealer is telling him $24k over sticker for a build slot... that all the incoming units are spoken for and sold for $45k over. When is all this over paying for everything going to catch up?

14 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Anyone seeing pricing relief? My neighbor is trying to buy a new V8 raptor, think they sticker at $110k. Our local dealer is telling him $24k over sticker for a build slot... that all the incoming units are spoken for and sold for $45k over. When is all this over paying for everything going to catch up?

Truck prices are fine around here, just not on low production stuff that is always over priced.  With the major MFG making statements that they are going electric, all the major muscle stuff will be overpriced and hard to get ahold of.

20 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

When is all this over paying for everything going to catch up?

As soon as people stop paying those prices.  The driver could be an extended downturn in the economy, supply increases, and likely a combination of the two.  If a vehicle can sell over sticker (even if it sits for a few months to do it), it will continue to be listed at that.  

I gave up upgrading my truck due to the lack of inventory (not that I needed to either - mine is perfect for my needs, still under powertrain warranty, 18k miles, zero issues and paid for).  I'm not willing to pay premium money just to get the latest fancy toys.