Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Brand new boat M240. Bimini fails on first trip to the lake. Anyone else have problems with the current design?

First trip to the lake and the cheap entry level tubing bends and completely destroys the bimini as we round a corner into some chop at Lake Powell.  So many nice custom aluminum parts with a entry level (cheap) bimini. Why?

I have a 2007 247 LSV with a 1000 hours on it and never had a problem with the bimini.  Once on the lake we've always left it on day and night.  WTF. 

59 minutes ago, FaceCanyon said:

I have a 2007 247 LSV with a 1000 hours on it and never had a problem with the bimini.  Once on the lake we've always left it on day and night.  WTF. 

Take the bimini top from your 2007 Malibu and install it on your M240.

ahopkins22LSV

Well clearly that isn’t right. Being a brand new boat, have you contacted your dealer to get a replacement? Unless it was being towed out over 45mph, which I would guess the new Bimini’s are still rated at, there shouldn’t be an issue getting it replaced. Or unless you were in some sort of crazy storm or some other crazy circumstance. From what I’ve seen, there hasn’t been any reports on here of another Bimini failing like that. If the tubing had a weak spot in manufacturing it, I could for sure see it happening though. 

• Like 3

Yes, I've filed a warrantee claim to get it replaced.  I'm very hesitant to replace it, if its only going to fail again.    We had the Cruise set to 25 mph and were headed back to the dock when we rounded a corner into some chop / winds and the bimini got wrecked. 

25mph into 25mph winds with gusts is a bad combination. 

The bimini on your 2007 did not have near the forward coverage that current one has.

All the current bimini frames Ive seen that fit that tower, from Great lakes and Commercial sewing use pretty much the same tubes.

5 hours ago, COOP said:

All the current bimini frames Ive seen that fit that tower, from Great lakes and Commercial sewing use pretty much the same tubes.

Are you aware of anyone using better / thicker upgraded tubes?  These seem to be the same ones from cheapest new boats to flagship products like the M240.

This exact thing happened to me as well yesterday 2021 23 LSV. Scared the heck out of my 5yr old daughter when it happened. Think that pissed me off more than the actual Bimini letting go.

Edited by bcf2003
3 hours ago, bcf2003 said:

This exact thing happened to me as well yesterday 2021 23 LSV. Scared the heck out of my 5yr old daughter when it happened. Think that pissed me off more than the actual Bimini letting go.

Where was this? Mead? Powell?

13 hours ago, FaceCanyon said:

Are you aware of anyone using better / thicker upgraded tubes?  These seem to be the same ones from cheapest new boats to flagship products like the M240.

No. Only other tubes Ive seen that were bigger have been on pontoon biminis, and most of those are square tubes. 

FYI, once you contact your dealer, they need to contact the manufacture of the Bimini, whoever that is, and not Malibu I guess. That’s the response I got from Malibu.

Here’s who manufactures the biminis

Apex Canvas Co

Boat cover supplier in Loudon, Tennessee

Address: 500 Rpm Dr #1, Loudon, TN 37774

Phone: (865) 458-8828

12 hours ago, bcf2003 said:

Here’s who manufactures the biminis

Apex Canvas Co

Thanks. We'll see what they say. I wish they had a beefed up version for the western desert. 

2 hours ago, FaceCanyon said:

Thanks. We'll see what they say. I wish they had a beefed up version for the western desert. 

Let me know what you hear. I reached out today to their warranty line, left message, and no response yet.