Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lets Talk Docking....

Ronnie

1.  I thought this was going to be about yahoos ramming docks

2.  I can't believe that guy was able to fill a full 11 minute video talking about the cleat hitch knot

• Haha 2

I come from a boating family - dad was coast guard licensed, and chaired the oregon state marine board and many other marine related activities through the 80s and 90s.  Growing up with him, knots were drilled into my siblings and I and we can do them in our sleep.  I can still splice lines from memory 25 years after first learning.  I try to teach my friends that are newer to boating how to tie knots.  I honestly keep an eye on fellow boaters and avoid hanging out on the water with people who tie up with poor knots.  If I find myself tied up with a “tie alot” type I usually try to non offensively educate them about proper knots.  Some people take it well, some roll their eyes and say they don’t trust a proper cleat hitch.  Can’t save everyone haha! 

Edited by PNWoke
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

First picture is a good way not to leave dock lines for people to trip on ;)

I typically do a proper cleat hitch, then weave the left over into a single pull type configuration and leave in parallel with the dock next to the edge. Kids do the same.

MalibuNation
10 hours ago, justgary said:

I've heard of coffee snobs, church snobs, and beer snobs, but now a knot snob?  Ha!

I usually watch them start to tie a knot, then grunt deeply while I forcefully snatch the rope from their hands, tie it properly, and then loudly say, "see?"

By the way, I'm looking for a ski partner.  Anyone available?  :crazy:

I'm a lawn snob :). End of hijack.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Bozboat said:

This is a fun knot to use when being watched pulling up to a dock

Bah.  I can tie a *real* Bowline faster and without the fumbling and theatrics.  I can't really see what he ended up tying, but it isn't a true Bowline since the tag end is not inside the loop.  I suppose it only matters to you if you tie it in a wet rope that will undergo tension before it dries.  You know, like when boating.... 

The Bowline is great because it won't fold into something else and you can always crack its spine and get it apart quickly no matter what has happened to it since you tied it.  Imitations don't always work out so well.  Probably 98% of the knots I tie are Bowlines, usually also with a Trucker's Hitch to cinch down some cargo in the truck bed.

What I absolutely hate to see is people who teach others to tie a Bowline around their body.  Yes, you should know how to tie knots in various scenarios, but ropes and water don't mix well.  Tying a rope around yourself only to step out of it to put it onto something else is a recipe for trouble.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, justgary said:

Bah.  I can tie a *real* Bowline faster and without the fumbling and theatrics.  I can't really see what he ended up tying, but it isn't a true Bowline since the tag end is not inside the loop.  I suppose it only matters to you if you tie it in a wet rope that will undergo tension before it dries.  You know, like when boating.... 

The Bowline is great because it won't fold into something else and you can always crack its spine and get it apart quickly no matter what has happened to it since you tied it.  Imitations don't always work out so well.  Probably 98% of the knots I tie are Bowlines, usually also with a Trucker's Hitch to cinch down some cargo in the truck bed.

What I absolutely hate to see is people who teach others to tie a Bowline around their body.  Yes, you should know how to tie knots in various scenarios, but ropes and water don't mix well.  Tying a rope around yourself only to step out of it to put it onto something else is a recipe for trouble.

Idk, maybe it’s not a bowline at all, still it worked well for tying sailboats to pilings in the Caribbean before I grew up and created all of the overhead I support.  My brother and I actually called it the “theatrical bowline” and it never failed us.

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 2

How would you all set up your knots for docking somewhere without cleats for an extended time frame?  When we rent cabins I inevitably end up tying off to dock posts and setting my line lengths to reach my boat cleats at a safe length with bumpers between the boat and dock.  The knots I use to tie off to the posts, I'm sure, would garner a worthy laugh from some.  Any suggestions?

16 hours ago, onwi said:

How would you all set up your knots for docking somewhere without cleats for an extended time frame?  When we rent cabins I inevitably end up tying off to dock posts and setting my line lengths to reach my boat cleats at a safe length with bumpers between the boat and dock.  The knots I use to tie off to the posts, I'm sure, would garner a worthy laugh from some.  Any suggestions?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQEExtshoRe/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 1
16 hours ago, onwi said:

Pair of half hitches, no matter what I am tied to.  Gets tight as it pulls and is easy to undo, but can't be easily pulled loose by an errant kid.

Edited by oldjeep
On 6/8/2022 at 4:59 PM, justgary said:

I've heard of coffee snobs, church snobs, and beer snobs, but now a knot snob?  Ha!

I usually watch them start to tie a knot, then grunt deeply while I forcefully snatch the rope from their hands, tie it properly, and then loudly say, "see?"

By the way, I'm looking for a ski partner.  Anyone available?  :crazy:

You missed the part where you tug on the line and say “that’s not going anywhere”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 6/9/2022 at 1:51 PM, Bozboat said:

Idk, maybe it’s not a bowline at all, still it worked well for tying sailboats to pilings in the Caribbean before I grew up and created all of the overhead I support.  My brother and I actually called it the “theatrical bowline” and it never failed us.

So why didn't I get to see the big theatrical knot throwing when you were holding my boat for me at the dock?

2 hours ago, justgary said:

So why didn't I get to see the big theatrical knot throwing when you were holding my boat for me at the dock?

I don’t recall you having dock lines 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

I don’t recall you having dock lines 🤷🏻‍♂️

I knew you were going to bring that up!  I kept the lines stowed because I figured I would have to grunt and take the line from you....

Next time, we'll have a docking party.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:55 AM, IXFE said:

“If you can’t tie a knot, tie a lot!”

:rofl:

I'm totally the tie a lot guy...  Guess I'll spend the next 12 minutes of my life learning how to properly tie my boat up

• Like 2
21 hours ago, justgary said:

I knew you were going to bring that up!  I kept the lines stowed because I figured I would have to grunt and take the line from you....

Next time, we'll have a docking party.

I think I’ll get you a radar or something to help with the sprint across the 2’ deep bay in 3 foot visibility 

2 hours ago, Bozboat said:

I think I’ll get you a radar or something to help with the sprint across the 2’ deep bay in 3 foot visibility 

I think both of those numbers are generous!