Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Intermintant Warning Beep (Fuel, sensor, battery?) 2004 LSV

ahopkins22LSV
40 minutes ago, rakr said:

@ahopkinsVTX after fuel delivery (1st), thermostat and temp sensor (as I’m betting the T-stay hadn’t been changed/checked in a long time), I plan on doing the knock sensor. 

can you unplug the knock sensor similar to the oil sender or switch to see if that resolves the issue? 

thanks for the note!!!

I don’t specifically know. He ended up taking it into the dealer because we couldn’t figure it out. I think the sensors themselves are quite cheap. Might be worth just getting two and replacing them. 

@ahopkinsVTX One is on the way. from some quick reading, it doesn't look like there is a specific requirement to use the Indmar version vs. the standard AC Delco ($120 vs. $35). I figured if it wasn't the Indmar version, for $35 that would save me an appropriate amount of time in troubleshooting.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Knock sensor codes (beeps) normally show up above 3000rpm, 4 beeps, a pause, followed by 4 beeps.

• Like 2

Welp, I have done fugged something up. Took the top cover off, and cut around the edge to make room for the fuel pressure test fitting. Put everything back together. Blower on, one click and zero power to the boat. Battery is good. Checked(pushed in) 50a by the ECU, by the battery and all of the breakers. All looked good. Zero power. Went to get the Multi Meter, came back out, blower on. (Weird)

I retraced my steps (checked lots of connections/sensors and realized I didn’t put the cover back over the ECU connections, therefore didn’t put the throttle cable back in place. Did that, blower on, start, zero power. Gave up for tonight. 

crap…

Now I’m panicking a bit. I didn’t disconnect the battery before removing the two connectors on the ECU. Any chance I damaged the ECU by doing so? 

edit: I went to remove the battery wire and the positive was a touch loose. Pulled off, back on, start, no power to the boat. I pulled the positive off again, power back to the boat, blower on, start, now power. I guess I’ll be troubleshooting a no start vs an engine beep tonight. 

Edited by rakr

If my battery terminals are not spotlessly clean, along with the clamps, I will get an occasional no power situation when trying to crank engine.

@electricjohn, they are pretty clean. it goes from "Full Power", i.e. all things run by switches work, turn the key, I hear a quick "click", and all power goes off. Battery still tests good. I pull off the positive, put it back on, all power restored until I turn the key...

I need to probably do another 1-2 hours of combing through everything again before I report back with anything substantial. I may just send the ECU out to Diagnostics, Inc. regardless. $80-$100 to get the peace of mind, before all of the additional TS.

Edited by rakr
2 hours ago, rakr said:

@electricjohn, they are pretty clean. it goes from "Full Power", i.e. all things run by switches work, turn the key, I hear a quick "click", and all power goes off. Battery still tests good. I pull off the positive, put it back on, all power restored until I turn the key...

I need to probably do another 1-2 hours of combing through everything again before I report back with anything substantial. I may just send the ECU out to Diagnostics, Inc. regardless. $80-$100 to get the peace of mind, before all of the additional TS.

It sure sounds like a bad connection to me.  Battery, starter, and ground lugs on the engine all need to make good contact.

So… my fear of a bad ECU or me really messing something up made my brain being take off my troubleshooting hat and break out the jump to conclusions mat. 

negative loose too. Boat is running now. 

• Like 2

Fuel pressure at key on was about 50. 

at idle (700 RPM, as its warming up) is 58PSI. 

to circle back on another ask, voltage is 14.4. 

In thinking back to the other day… I ran the boat for about 10 min. I recall the dash temp not going up fast at all, and the manifolds did seem cold. After ,today, running the boat for 5 min, I am all ready up to 140. 

fuel pressure at 1000, 1500, 2000 all at 58PSI. 

new thermostat, knock sensor and temp sensor are on their way. 

Did you confirm your transmission cooling lines aren't plugged? A grenaded impellor, mixed with muck and seaweed can clog the front area that lets water cool the transmission.

Seen it on a 325 Monsoon, '00 Sunsetter lxi

Edited by stonelx
1 hour ago, stonelx said:

Did you confirm your transmission cooling lines aren't plugged? A grenaded impellor, mixed with muck and seaweed can clog the front area that lets water cool the transmission.

Seen it on a 325 Monsoon, '00 Sunsetter lxi

New impeller, cleaned the trans cooler a while back. 

2 minutes ago, justgary said:

...and wide open throttle?

To be honest, I’m a bit hesitant to run WOT on the fake a lake… so not yet. Im betting I would be fine. I plan on taking it to the lake tomorrow morning. 

On 6/11/2022 at 10:04 AM, rakr said:

From cold, one set of warning beeps about 2 min after starting, then nothing for the 45 min I had it on the water. 

What is your voltage on the dash when the beeping starts?

I haven’t noticed a fluctuation. I could imagine that it could be down, the next time it rears it’s head I’ll watch out. Unfortunately(maybe) it hasn’t done it in about 6 hours of run time…