Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

‘94 Echelon steering sticks

I have a ‘94 Echelon and the steering has started to stick. For example, I will turn all the way to the right, then I try to turn the wheel to the left and it locks on me. I turn a little back to the right and only then can I turn the wheel left again. It feels like a catch of some sort in the steering column. I’ve replaced or worked on virtually everything in this boat except the steering and was hoping to get some ideas from others first. 

11 hours ago, bfpierce said:

I have a ‘94 Echelon and the steering has started to stick. For example, I will turn all the way to the right, then I try to turn the wheel to the left and it locks on me. I turn a little back to the right and only then can I turn the wheel left again. It feels like a catch of some sort in the steering column. I’ve replaced or worked on virtually everything in this boat except the steering and was hoping to get some ideas from others first. 

If the steering is otherwise easy to turn (like one finger easy), your issue may be incorrect adjustment.  The rudder can lock if the cable allows the tiller to move too far.

replace your steering cable and take apart your rudder (clean and re-grease) and/or grease your rudder, there is a grease nipple.  Just don't over grease with your grease gun (i.e. apply gentle pressure)

@bfpierce - Good chance the rudder bushings are worn.  Symptoms are as you describe, at rest steering feels fine, at speed the steering is notchy or has stiff spots when adding or reducing steering angle while turning.  Water flow over the rudder adds enough side force to c*** the rudder in the bushings and make it stiff.  @justgary also brings up a good thing to check, make sure lock to lock is symmetrical at the ends.