Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 Pcm zr4 oil line question

Ok, it is in a nautique 200 but anyone know what path the oil follows in a zr4 to the oil filter adapter?  BIL removed them last year when he couldn't get filter off.  Boat is throwing an oil pressure alarm and he is not certain that lines got put back correctly.  One hose has a blue collar on it.

cn1x0x8n9ffp.jpg

The parts drawing shows the hose furthest from the remote filter mounting bracket is connected to the straight threaded fitting on the upper part of the oil pan adaptor, and the hose closest to the remote filter mounting bracket is connected to the threaded elbow fitting on the bottom of the oil pan adaptor.

I can't attest to the accuracy of the drawing, though.

2 hours ago, csleaver said:

The parts drawing shows the hose furthest from the remote filter mounting bracket is connected to the straight threaded fitting on the upper part of the oil pan adaptor, and the hose closest to the remote filter mounting bracket is connected to the threaded elbow fitting on the bottom of the oil pan adaptor.

I can't attest to the accuracy of the drawing, though.

Thanks.  Currently the hose closest to the block is attached to the higher location on the motor/pan.  The hose with the blue collar goes to the oil cooler and then from the oil cooler to the bottom of pan.  So it sounds like they may be backwards.

On 6/5/2022 at 6:39 PM, csleaver said:

I think you are correct.  It sounds like the hoses may be on the wrong connections at the remote filter.

Just as a follow-up - the dealer wanted him to bring it in so that they could figure it out, wouldn't help him on phone.  So he swapped the hoses, fired it up and was back to 40psi immediately at idle and 60 at a low cruise speed.  He is going to take it out for a full speed run this morning to verify that the pressure stops at 80, but it sounds fixed and hopefully no long term damage was done.

I'm just some dude on the interwebs, but for future I only ever spun my filter onto our t22 "hand tight plus a little hand tighter" (that's a technical torque spec) and I never lost a filter or had a leak and could always spin the filter off by hand (though it always seems to get "really hand tight" by removal for some reason).

@oldjeep - Not having any idea how long she ran with oil lines reversed or how low the oil pressure was, it might be worth sending off a sample for analysis to see if a pile of bearing material is evident.  Or simply drain some oil and see if it sparkles.  Is the owner tuned to listen to any strange (bad) noises when he takes it out for the test run?  Fingers crossed it's all good.

9 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@oldjeep - Not having any idea how long she ran with oil lines reversed or how low the oil pressure was, it might be worth sending off a sample for analysis to see if a pile of bearing material is evident.  Or simply drain some oil and see if it sparkles.  Is the owner tuned to listen to any strange (bad) noises when he takes it out for the test run?  Fingers crossed it's all good.

Owner isn't real mechanical, but he tries.  Not sure if he will notice sounds or not, or if I would since it is a new boat with a different engine than either of us have had.  Not sure there is much point in oil analysis - either the engine is damaged or not ;)   but in terms of sparkles there are none.  There was a bit to the story that I left out.

Basically end of last season he changed the oil himself and it was a new boat to him.  He had put 15W40 Rotella in the motor, which is what the old boat took (04 LXI).  When he called about his oil pressure issue I asked him what all he had done and he mentioned that he used the same oil as always.  The new motor requires 5w30 Dexos, so I had figured that maybe the 15W was the issue.  Went over and we drained it out - oil had no visible metal in it, was one of the things I was looking for.  After we changed it and the filter out and started the boat with the same low pressure issue (was still 24psi) he mentioned that the only other thing he had done to the boat was the removal of the hoses and he was now not 100% sure that they went back in right place.  The hoses had been removed because he couldn't get the oil filter off so he removed the whole adapter from the boat so he could do it on the bench.

Edited by oldjeep
55 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I'm just some dude on the interwebs, but for future I only ever spun my filter onto our t22 "hand tight plus a little hand tighter" (that's a technical torque spec) and I never lost a filter or had a leak and could always spin the filter off by hand (though it always seems to get "really hand tight" by removal for some reason).

Funny thing is that on my boat - they go on hand tight and I have to nearly crush them taking them off with a 3 jaw filter wrench.  His filter had been installed by the previous promo owner, or his dealer.

Edited by oldjeep
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Funny thing is that on my boat - they go on hand tight and I have to nearly crush them taking them off with a 3 jaw filter wrench.  His filter had been installed by the previous promo owner, or his dealer.

Your hands are clearly stronger than mine. 

Good to hear.   Nothing below 24 psi = nothing to worry about, should be fine.  Just don't let your buddy be my brain surgeon, I would go from left to right handed :whistle: