Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

[Solved] 2019 Axis T22 won’t start

I’ve been having some issues on this for a while now and thought the problem was fixed, but now has come back in another form. About a year ago, boat wouldnt start and after the dealership told me alternator and starter were bad, turns out my ignition relay burned out. Luckily, I didn’t listen to them and pay who knows how much to get it fixed. Went through a couple relays that summer, but no major issues. Before this season I got into the relay housing and replaced the female connector that kept causing it to blow out. First couple weeks after that haven’t had any problems. The boat has sometimes been slow starting, taking up to 6-8 secs to crank on, and sometimes throws a low battery warning, but starts right up. Today, it started saying low battery even they were on trickle chargers all week. Manually tested both batteries and both at full charge, no blown relays. After awhile the low battery warning went away but it would never turn over. After about 30-45 mins of trying I gave up and ready to just sell it. The dealership told me I need a new wiring harness last year to fix the relay problems, but after advice of others on here, I fixed it with a $3 part. I checked the battery cables to make sure they were tight on batteries themselves as well as the engine block. Is there anything else I can check or any recommendations to look at before I try to get it to the dealership and let them try to bend me over? Does anyone know if any independent techs in the Huntersville, NC area I could reach out to instead of the dealer?

Thanks 

Edited by Grooobz

i also have a 2019 and had relay problems last year, but did get the wiring harness replaced before winterization (from your comments i'm guessing you don't have the warranty for some reason, else i'd just get it done). 

there are way better mechanics on here, but if its turning over but not starting up, that was the issue when i kept blowing fuel pump relays last year (its located in engine compartment relay box, aft/starboard if memory serves).

else, if nothing happens when key turns, there is an ignition relay under the dash you could check, usually with red tape on it (sometimes hard to find).  otherwise, by drivers feet there are some resettable breakers - you can remove the panel with a screwdriver and check / wiggle those (had to replace one of them this spring when entire dash was non-responsive).

22 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

what's the voltage reading on the dash when you key-up but before you turn the key?

Just under the 13 mark 

14 hours ago, csleaver said:

If you have the Pleasurecraft/Crusader Challenger powertrain I would not be surprised at all if the engine wiring harness needs replacement.

It’s got the PCM Monsoon 409. It seems the be a major issue with the 2019 and irritating they aren’t covering this as a recall. 

1 hour ago, Grooobz said:

It’s got the PCM Monsoon 409. It seems the be a major issue with the 2019 and irritating they aren’t covering this as a recall. 

Recalls are monitored by the U.S. Coast Guard for defects that can cause fire, explosion, loss of steering control, or other similar things that can directly result in bodily injury or death.  It doesn't seem like this issue would qualify.  I would expect that a failure of the engine wiring harness could be eligible for warranty coverage by the engine manufacturer or one of their dealers, as long as the wiring has not been modified or physically damaged in some way.  Does your Axis still have warranty coverage?

FWIW, my wiring harness was replaced under warranty but only after it blew some relays a few times.  Tech told me policy is it has to happen a couple times before they will cover it (sure seems like the OP would qualify)

On 6/4/2022 at 11:27 AM, Grooobz said:

I’ve been having some issues on this for a while now and thought the problem was fixed, but now has come back in another form. About a year ago, boat wouldnt start and after the dealership told me alternator and starter were bad, turns out my ignition relay burned out. Luckily, I didn’t listen to them and pay who knows how much to get it fixed. Went through a couple relays that summer, but no major issues. Before this season I got into the relay housing and replaced the female connector that kept causing it to blow out. First couple weeks after that haven’t had any problems. The boat has sometimes been slow starting, taking up to 6-8 secs to crank on, and sometimes throws a low battery warning, but starts right up. Today, it started saying low battery even they were on trickle chargers all week. Manually tested both batteries and both at full charge, no blown relays. After awhile the low battery warning went away but it would never turn over. After about 30-45 mins of trying I gave up and ready to just sell it. The dealership told me I need a new wiring harness last year to fix the relay problems, but after advice of others on here, I fixed it with a $3 part. I checked the battery cables to make sure they were tight on batteries themselves as well as the engine block. Is there anything else I can check or any recommendations to look at before I try to get it to the dealership and let them try to bend me over? Does anyone know if any independent techs in the Huntersville, NC area I could reach out to instead of the dealer?

Thanks 

Isn't your boat still under warranty?

On 6/4/2022 at 11:27 AM, Grooobz said:

Thanks 

Yeah isn't your boat under warranty?  My dealer has already told me that if I start replacing parts it will be on me if I mess something up. I don’t work on my boat and if you have a warranty use it. 

Pleasurecraft doesn't really have a "service bulletin" regarding issues with their wiring harnesses.  They have provided a product improvement advisory stating that they will be using a new supplier to produce their wiring harnesses as of January 2022 to improve their testing and quality.

On 6/5/2022 at 6:08 PM, PopsA22 said:

Isn't your boat still under warranty?

No unfortunately, I am the second owner and bought it through an independent broker, who had possession of the boat for a day who purchased it from the original dealer in 2020. When my dealer tried to transfer the warranty, Malibu in an effort to not have to cover more than want they have to, considered me the 3rd owner, even though the warranty was never transferred to the broker. I tried to reach out to PCM directly and never got a response. 

Edited by Grooobz
On 6/5/2022 at 6:23 PM, dwc032 said:

Yeah isn't your boat under warranty?  My dealer has already told me that if I start replacing parts it will be on me if I mess something up. I don’t work on my boat and if you have a warranty use it. 

See my comment above and yeah they told me the same thing, but the guy at my dealership was nice and sympathized with me because of the situation and tried to help as much as he could. I still up at the same spot, paying out of pocket for everything that needs to get fixed on it. 

16 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Woo hoo!  I had that issue on my 2016 (self inflicted… left battery cable loose) but the voltage would read low while cranking. 

glad you fixed it!

Went out this morning to crank it, first crank low battery warning again but fired up. Drove it around a bit, got back to the dock turned it off and cranked it 3 more times with no warning or issues. I just don’t get it 

Just guessing here, your battery was low due to not charging with a loose ground.  The boat started and it charged some while you were running around, but it is not fully charged. That and/or something is draining the battery while it sits.

can you put a volt meter on the battery and check the reading?

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 6/5/2022 at 4:15 PM, csleaver said:

Pleasurecraft doesn't really have a "service bulletin" regarding issues with their wiring harnesses.  They have provided a product improvement advisory stating that they will be using a new supplier to produce their wiring harnesses as of January 2022 to improve their testing and quality.

Hi csleaver! Is there any way you could share a link with their product improvement advisory? Our relays failed already multiple times, we brought it to dealership 3 times and PCM still doesn't want to cover wiring harness replacement under warranty

I don't really see how it would change your situation.  Either Pleasurecraft will approve warranty replacement of your wiring harness or they won't.  It is completely at their discretion depending on the cause of failure.

I would recommend speaking with the Service Manager or General Manager of the dealer doing the work or contact Pleasurecraft directly if you need additional support.  The contact information for Pleasurecraft is located in the warranty statement on the last couple pages of the owner's manual.