Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 - 2018 Yet Another Prop Question!

BartG

Thank you for clicking on yet another prop topic. I did actually search before starting this and either my search skills are horrible or I am actually asking something new here. Quick back story. Way back in the day I worked with Eric from OJ on selecting a prop for my MasterCraft Prostar. He set me up with a great prop for that boat and I have loved it for the 10 years I have run it. Since I just acquired a new to me 2016 T23 I went back to Eric asking about this boat. Currently I have a ACME 1235 on there and I have not been impressed. He recommended the 950-MF 15 x 13 LH and said that he specifically designed this prop for the 2016 - 2018 Malibu/Axis boats. In searching I have not found any mention of the 950-MF on any of the countless Prop threads. So I am looking for someone out there in the wild that is running this prop and can feedback as to what they think about it. I trust Eric because he didn't steer me wrong the last time I worked with him so I am ready to pull the trigger but hoping to find someone else out there spinning that screw. If I would have just looked at OJ's web site and the recommendations on there I most likely would have gone with the 1951. Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

you are going to have the lower geared transmission then.  A 13 pitch prop is going to give you a bit more holeshot but is also going to take your rpms up quite a bit.  I have run the 945 (also 15x13 but a little less cup than the 950-MF), but on a "standard" 1.5:1 transmission boat (2014 23 lsv), not a geared down transmission boat like yours.  In my experience the 945 was pretty indistinguishable from the Acme 2315 (15x12).  With a touch more cup the 950-MF is *probably* going to feel a lot like an acme 2313.

... which is all to say it'd be the run of the mill aggressive prop (but not max aggro) with a "standard" 1.5:1 transmission.  with the lower geared transmission it's going to give you WAY WAY WAY more holeshot, at the expense of cruising rpms and top end.  Your unweighted 4000 rpm cruising speed is probably going to be in the 21 mph range, and your top speed bouncing off the rev limiter is going to be around 30.  Surfing heavy you'll very likely be over 4000 rpms.  You will get out of the hole for sure, but you're going to be glad/sad for that big gas tank in the T23.  

It's all compromises.  You effectively have the same engine as you did in your prostar, but in a boat that's twice as heavy and is designed to plow a furrow in the water for people to wakeboard and surf behind.  

An acme 15x13 prop like a 3407 might be a better compromise (but still VERY aggressive compared to what most folks would consider running).  For whatever reason in my experience the OJ props feel lower pitched than the more ubiquitous Acme props at the same diameter and pitch.  

If it were possible to switch out props to try, I'd think an acme 2249 would be a better choice, but it'd effectively feel "taller" not "shorter" on the boat (increase in diameter at the same pitch feels like an increase in pitch from the helm).  However, if the problem you are actually experiencing is prop slip rather than being over pitched, a larger diameter prop could really help.  There's no doubt in my mind that a 14.5" prop like the 1235 is the WRONG prop for your boat.  They came with 15" props from the factory... somebody put that on after the fact for one reason or another (if the owner wasn't a water sports first user and just wanted to use the boat as a day cruiser/runabout, the 1235 would give a bit more top speed and fuel efficiency unloaded... at the expense of getting out of the hole).

If you go with the 950-mf, please report back!

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

@shawndoggy After talking with both OJ and ACME I have ordered the 950-MF. ACME's recommendation was for the 2315. So we will see how it goes. I know both will be better than the 1235 that is on there now. I knew after the first time I ran the boat with ballast that it was the wrong prop for the boat and when I started looking on here I was like why the heck does it have a 14.5 inch prop on it. I should have it next week and will be out on the water with it and update the thread with my results with it. Thank you for the great reply!

Hi Bart,  Because of so many variables it would help us advise you better is you gave us some speeds with RPM stats.  But to get you in the right ball park just know that these engines ideal torque range is between 3300-3600 rpm for surfing.  This is where you want to be.  Ballast full, wedge deployed, at about 10.8mph.  My boat came with a 2249 and this put me at 3600 RPM.  I recently switched to a 2277 and this dropped me to 3300 RPM.  I did this because we are wakeboarding more and wanted to drop my RPM a little at 22MPH.  

On 6/10/2022 at 5:07 PM, BartG said:

@shawndoggy After talking with both OJ and ACME I have ordered the 950-MF. ACME's recommendation was for the 2315. So we will see how it goes. I know both will be better than the 1235 that is on there now. I knew after the first time I ran the boat with ballast that it was the wrong prop for the boat and when I started looking on here I was like why the heck does it have a 14.5 inch prop on it. I should have it next week and will be out on the water with it and update the thread with my results with it. Thank you for the great reply!

I was able to get the boat out on the water today with the new prop. Last weekend was snubbed buy failing batteries and a shorted battery switch. I have to say that I am very please with the 950. While not having anything great to compare it with coming from the 1235 it is night and day difference. Great out of the hole. I was about 4300 RPM trying to surf with the 1235 and was very hard to maintain speed. Now with the 950 I am 3500 - 3600 with all the tanks full and floating wedge down to run right about 10.8 - 11.2 MPH. Cruising around I was able to maintain 18 - 20 mph around 3600 - 3750 RPM's. I also did a couple of wakeboard passes at 22mph with full ballast at around 4300 RPM's. Have to say I am very pleased all around with the 950.

• Like 2