Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Wakesetter (monsoon) VLX Cranks but Will Not Start

Ok...I am really stumped on this one. Boat cranks but won't start. Here is what we have checked/changed so far....

Fuel:

• Fuel pump runs when key is turned on. Has great pressure at the rail. 
  • Attempted to start the boat using starting fluid (I know it is not recommended :))...Nothing 
  • Checked inline filter...no issues

Electric 

• Kill switch seems to be functioning. When the safety lanyard is pulled there is no power to the fuel pump...when we reinstall the pump runs. 
  • Replaced the distributor cap and button. 
  • Verified that spark is coming from the coil to the cap
  • Verified that spark is leaving the cap going to the plugs 

It has fuel...and spark...what could be stopping the boat from starting? Relays? ECM? 

Please help!!

Lance 

56 minutes ago, lancelivesay said:

Ok...I am really stumped on this one. Boat cranks but won't start. Here is what we have checked/changed so far....

Fuel:

• Fuel pump runs when key is turned on. Has great pressure at the rail. 
  • Attempted to start the boat using starting fluid (I know it is not recommended :))...Nothing 
  • Checked inline filter...no issues

Electric 

• Kill switch seems to be functioning. When the safety lanyard is pulled there is no power to the fuel pump...when we reinstall the pump runs. 
  • Replaced the distributor cap and button. 
  • Verified that spark is coming from the coil to the cap
  • Verified that spark is leaving the cap going to the plugs 

It has fuel...and spark...what could be stopping the boat from starting? Relays? ECM? 

Please help!!

Lance 

You can swap the relays around to see if the ECM one has failed.  Should be 3 relays by the ECM, one for Fuel, Starter and ECM.  If any of the symptoms change when you swap this could indicate that the Relay is bad.  

6 hours ago, lancelivesay said:

Fuel pump runs when key is turned on. Has great pressure at the rail.

How much is "great?"  The pressure for your 4 Bar system should be 62 PSI.

29 minutes ago, justgary said:

How much is "great?"  The pressure for your 4 Bar system should be 62 PSI.

The gauge was reading around 65 PSI

Tried switching relays around with no success. Checked for spark at the plug. It was present. Pulled a plug from each side of the engine. They had fuel but were very black. Gaps were fairly big too. Going to try and replace the plugs. Didn’t think about this at first since they were just done 3 years ago. Both looked identical. I’m assuming if all of them looked like that…it could cause a no start condition. 

formulaben
8 hours ago, lancelivesay said:

Ok...I am really stumped on this one.

When did this start?  Was this after a tune up?  If you have fuel and ignition my first thought is either scrambled spark plug wires or bad fuel/water in the fuel. 

• Like 1

Update. Pulled all 8 plugs and they were very dark. Replaced them and the boat started up. Looks like we are either getting bad gas, water, or oil blow through. Another thing to keep an eye on. 

Thanks everyone!!

• Like 4