Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Malibu Fuel Consumption / Hours

BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

New boat owner here.  2000 Malibu Sunsetter.  35 gallon tank?  My gas gauge is intermittent.  Would appreciate any general info on how many operating hours I might get on a full tank...with contant idling and running.  Just ballpark.  Will top if off every outing...until I can get the gauge checked out.  Appreciate it!

Edited by BigWaveDave
error.

This might give you an idea.

This is a plot I made off a free ski run at 34 MPH.  While we're cruising at 34 MPH with a skier, my burn rate is about 11.5 GPH give or take .25 GPH.  At idle, a GM 5.7 PFI running 650 RPM will burn about 0.8 GPH.

I can't help you if you're looking for consumption while surfing, but I know my Monsoon will burn 22 GPH at WFO.

The little peaks and valleys you see are my boat compensating for my line tension while I'm in my cutting phase of my ski run.  My PerfectPass isn't your standard issue RPM-based or GPS based thingy.

wncexscb1bq2.png

Edited by UWSkier
1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

This might give you an idea.

This is a plot I made off a free ski run at 34 MPH.  While we're cruising at 34 MPH with a skier, my burn rate is about 11.5 GPH give or take .25 GPH.  At idle, a GM 5.7 PFI running 650 RPM will burn about 0.8 GPH.

I can't help you if you're looking for consumption while surfing, but I know my Monsoon will burn 22 GPH at WFO.

The little peaks and valleys you see are my boat compensating for my line tension while I'm in my cutting phase of my ski run.  My PerfectPass isn't your standard issue RPM-based or GPS based thingy.

wncexscb1bq2.png

How are you gathering this data from a 01 Response?

Do you have Z box equipped PP? 

4 hours ago, BigWaveDave said:

New boat owner here.  2000 Malibu Sunsetter.  35 gallon tank?  My gas gauge is intermittent.  Would appreciate any general info on how many operating hours I might get on a full tank...with contant idling and running.  Just ballpark.  Will top if off every outing...until I can get the gauge checked out.  Appreciate it!

1999 SSLXI: generally I can get two full days on the lake on 25 gallons.  We wakeboard, some tubing, some running around, but generally not more that 32 mph. Wakeboarding can eat some gas but it’s not bad.   I use the hour meter to figure based on 4 gph of engine time. I have replaced the fuel sender and it’s not accurate. The wide thin tank is the problem but you will get used to it. When my gauge reports near E, I usually have 1/4 tank left.

49 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

1999 SSLXI: generally I can get two full days on the lake on 25 gallons.  We wakeboard, some tubing, some running around, but generally not more that 32 mph. Wakeboarding can eat some gas but it’s not bad.   I use the hour meter to figure based on 4 gph of engine time. I have replaced the fuel sender and it’s not accurate. The wide thin tank is the problem but you will get used to it. When my gauge reports near E, I usually have 1/4 tank left.

Best thing I ever did for my boat was index the gauge after I did my rebuild project last year.  It's only accurate on the trailer, but it helps me know what my real fuel level is.  I went to the station with a 100% dry fuel tank and started pumping at 5 gallon increments, pausing, turning the key, and photographing.  I didn't register any fuel until I was over 10 gallons.

One other thing to note, my fuel pickup sucked literally every drop out of my tank.  I drained my tank using a spare fuel pump I had and connecting it to the fuel supply line with a hose running to a jerry can.  When it was done draining, the tank was completely empty.  I thought I'd have a gallon or so of slosh left, but it was vapors.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 8.45.53 PM.png

Edited by UWSkier
BigWaveDave
10 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Great.  Thank you.

BigWaveDave
9 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Best thing I ever did for my boat was index the gauge after I did my rebuild project last year.  It's only accurate on the trailer, but it helps me know what my real fuel level is.  I went to the station with a 100% dry fuel tank and started pumping at 5 gallon increments, pausing, turning the key, and photographing.  I didn't register any fuel until I was over 10 gallons.

One other thing to note, my fuel pickup sucked literally every drop out of my tank.  I drained my tank using a spare fuel pump I had and connecting it to the fuel supply line with a hose running to a jerry can.  When it was done draining, the tank was completely empty.  I thought I'd have a gallon or so of slosh left, but it was vapors.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 8.45.53 PM.png

Thanks.

I get 5.1 GPH using my boat for slalom & barefoot exclusively.  Speed is mostly 36 mph, some 34.2 and 32.3 with a few 40’s thrown in when footing.  No cruising as it is a slalom tractor.

Two things to help:  make a calibrated fuel stick if you have a top mount fuel fill and if you can see the tank by removing seat back, mark the tank in 5 gallon increments.

BigWaveDave
19 hours ago, Woodski said:

I get 5.1 GPH using my boat for slalom & barefoot exclusively.  Speed is mostly 36 mph, some 34.2 and 32.3 with a few 40’s thrown in when footing.  No cruising as it is a slalom tractor.

Two things to help:  make a calibrated fuel stick if you have a top mount fuel fill and if you can see the tank by removing seat back, mark the tank in 5 gallon increments.

Stick move is a strong one.

1 minute ago, drh said:

How does @Woodski get 5 GPH and @UWSkier get 11 GPH both at slalom speeds?

I reckon @Woodski burns about 5 GPH while using his boat.  I probably burn about the same.  The VAST majority of time is spent with the engine idling.  11+ GPH is only underway, which is typically for a minute or two at a time.

@drh - As @UWSkier noted and I realized I should have added, my data is overall fuel consumption which includes any 'key on' engine running.  I track the amount of fuel put in the boat against the hour meter, so that is my calculation.  I will add that my usage will have less idle and cruising than most given how I use the boat.  UWskier's data shows usage at a given time and that snapshot is at load in the middle segment.  The edges show how little fuel is used at idle.  If you look at a typical running histogram, a lot of time is spent at idle usually 50% for most users.  Several of my ski partners agree on us using about 5 gallons for 2 skiers doing 2 sets each in the slalom course which actually translates to roughly an hour of running time.   Exception - if you are skiing behind a new Nautique add at least one gallon per hour to your estimate (or have a paddle handy:-)  The new wide hulls have a lot more drag.