Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie - 2014-2015

JpCrOOked

I am looking to upgrade to a Malibu, my budget restrains me towards the top in a 14' 22 MXZ or possibly 15' 22 VLX I have found.

I have been looking around onlyinboards, marketplace, local marinas, etc. trying to get a handle on fair pricing and didn't know if either of these two years be any different, pro's - con's etc.  

I've only had I/O boats, and one outboard boat that I used for fishing many years back.

Any honest feedback would be great, I have a couple picked out, one is in town and the others are within the US, but wouldn't be apposed to driving and or having delivered.

TIA

Just now, Ronnie said:

Check what the boats actually sold for on onlyinboards.com

Link to Sold boats.

I have been viewing that thread, I went back to ~2021.  Thanks for the link!  Will continue to monitor, but I really don't know any nuances or things I should look for when purchasing.  

What is your intended purpose, and at what elevation will you be operating?  What are you upgrading from?  Is there any chance you could wait and buy next year?

My generic answer is that this is a sellers market, and you will probably be able to move up to a '17 or '18 if you can wait until next year.  

20 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

What is your intended purpose, and at what elevation will you be operating?  What are you upgrading from?  Is there any chance you could wait and buy next year?

My generic answer is that this is a sellers market, and you will probably be able to move up to a '17 or '18 if you can wait until next year.  

What is your intended purpose, and at what elevation will you be operating?

I really want to surf, about done wakeboarding hard any longer, my kids are at an age to enjoy the boat and start to surf.  Our primary lake is @ 585' feet in elevation. 

What are you upgrading from?

I am wanting to move from our 21' Maxum ski boat.  

Is there any chance you could wait and buy next year?

Yes.

I will definitely keep this in mind, as I want something as new as I can afford.

Edited by JpCrOOked
Updated exact elevation

In 2015 you get the more modern screen layout, very similar to what you see today. 2015 you get hydraulic actuators vs electric on the wedge and you get PowerWedge 2 in 2015 with lift mode - if you are mainly surfing that may not matter much.  The base Monsoon at your elevation would be fine in either boat, IMO.  

I can’t recall when the MXZ was redesigned in that era other than I know it was in 2017, but I know the 22VLX was designed with surfgate in mind and my hunch is it will surf better than the MXZ.  Others would need to chime in though as my memory is fuzzy on the MXZ changes around that time.  

IIRC both 2014 and 15 could still be had with the 5.7L GM 350 as the base engine.  If you intend to weight the boat for surfing, that engine would be considered to be "not enough" by today's standards.  Look for a boat with the 409 (GM 6.0) or 450 (GM LS3... but probably not a 2014 with the one-and-done Marine Power LS3).

If you are in the $80k range, you could look at an axis A22 or T22 too... I'd probably stick to 2018 and up which would come with the power wedge.

20 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

In 2015 you get the more modern screen layout, very similar to what you see today. 2015 you get hydraulic actuators vs electric on the wedge and you get PowerWedge 2 in 2015 with lift mode - if you are mainly surfing that may not matter much.  The base Monsoon at your elevation would be fine in either boat, IMO.  

I can’t recall when the MXZ was redesigned in that era other than I know it was in 2017, but I know the 22VLX was designed with surfgate in mind and my hunch is it will surf better than the MXZ.  Others would need to chime in though as my memory is fuzzy on the MXZ changes around that time.  

These points are exactly what I am looking for, I still have much learning to do.  I really don't know the model differences other then the looks of the bow, possibly seating, ect.   I will need be trying to figure out what the differences in models (LSV, MXZ, VLX) are.      

Also, the MXZ bow will ride lower and be more prone to dipping than the VLX.  Not a deal breaker. The MXZ is the picklefork design.  

I agree by today’sstandards the 350 may not seem like enough, but I was regularly on a 2014 23LSV with the 350 and we surfed fine all day at 900’.  Just keep the nose from being pointed at the sky due to having too much weight in the back and the 350 is fine.  

16 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

IIRC both 2014 and 15 could still be had with the 5.7L GM 350 as the base engine.  If you intend to weight the boat for surfing, that engine would be considered to be "not enough" by today's standards.  Look for a boat with the 409 (GM 6.0) or 450 (GM LS3... but probably not a 2014 with the one-and-done Marine Power LS3).

If you are in the $80k range, you could look at an axis A22 or T22 too... I'd probably stick to 2018 and up which would come with the power wedge.

Gotcha, thanks for the knowledge on these different motors.  I will have to take a look at those others, is the Axis boats manufactured by the same facility but not top of the line?  Like Toyota = Lexus, Nissan = Infinity etc.?

Yes. Axis is to Malibu as Toyota is to Lexus. Identical hulls and motors. Similar functionality. New features tend to be Malibu exclusive for a few years before being brought over to the Axis line, but the delay has been getting shorter. Malibu will always have cosmetic features that are a cut above Axis.  Historically, Axis has fewer screens and electronics to go out. 

For the MXZ series, I would aim for something 2017 or newer, or the 2018 Axis A22. Those will have the new hull design, and the '18 A22 has the power wedge. 

If you are looking at something in the 2015-2016 era, than the LSV is probably the way to go, as there were no significant changes for several years after. 

I don't know the VLX history enough to help with that one. 

Agree that I would shoot for a 410 engine at minimum. As someone who was underpowered for four summers (410 at 4k ASL), I'm a huge proponent of adequate power. 

2 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

Yes. Axis is to Malibu as Toyota is to Lexus. Identical hulls and motors. Similar functionality. New features tend to be Malibu exclusive for a few years before being brought over to the Axis line, but the delay has been getting shorter. Malibu will always have cosmetic features that are a cut above Axis.  Historically, Axis has fewer screens and electronics to go out. 

For the MXZ series, I would aim for something 2017 or newer, or the 2018 Axis A22. Those will have the new hull design, and the '18 A22 has the power wedge. 

If you are looking at something in the 2015-2016 era, than the LSV is probably the way to go, as there were no significant changes for several years after. 

I don't know the VLX history enough to help with that one. 

Agree that I would shoot for a 410 engine at minimum. As someone who was underpowered for four summers (410 at 4k ASL), I'm a huge proponent of adequate power. 

Great information, I had no idea that these motors had so much variance in different elevations, I would have assumed being in the mountains maybe.

So 2015+ LSV is updated dash electronics, looking for a bigger motor then the 5.7, I am thinking to try and keep an eye out for a newer model.  

After 2015, is there anything in a LSV that has been improved in any particular year?

EDIT:  I can get into an AXIS 2019+ 23' 

Would I still be "wanting" a Malibu if I did go this route, it's still a HUGE upgrade from what we have now, but...

Edited by JpCrOOked

I love this place, but still disagree with the bigger motor sentiment.   Yes, bigger is always better and at elevation I wouldn't buy the base 350 Monsoon in that era.   But, at the OP's stated elevation, I certainly wouldn't walk away from a good boat based on that motor.    

To the OP, here are a few things to consider. 

Yes, if you can up the budget, sure you can get more.   The 2014 through 2017 23LSV is all on the same hull.   It is a fantastic surf boat overall.  The 22VLX is no longer made in that length, but has a good reputation in that era.   The 2014 23LSV had a one and done dash design, but generally functions just fine.   The 2014 LS3 motor was marinized by Marine Power instead of Indmar.  That was also a one and done decision by Malibu and the Marine Power LS3 was known to have issues - that being said, a good friend had one that ran 600+ hours with no issues before selling the boat.  

2015+ MXZ, LSV, or VLX are all the updated dash - 15" main screen with 7" side screen that was the same from 2015-2019.  In 2020, it got reworked slightly and went to a different operating system in the background with new graphics, layouts, etc. 

MXZ series is the picklefork.  More bow room, but usually sacrifices some space in the cabin.   It is usually a preference item on where you want your interior space.   

Axis - 

It is stated often they share the same hulls as Malibu.   I have never seen that actually confirmed.  However, Axis are very solid performers without all the bling of a Malibu.   For Axis, A series are the picklefork and T series are the traditional bow.   If you got into a new Axis (like the 2019 you mentioned), you can pay to transfer the remainder of the factory warranty.  Again, that has a cost, but offers some peace of mind.   Factory warranty was 5 years starting in 2016 if I recall correctly. 

• Like 3

I love my mxz, but I’d say there are better surf boats if you are looking in this era. 

My mxz is awesome and I have the wakeboard wake dialed in. It’s one of my favorite wakes out there and I’ve ridden quite a few different boats (both newer and older). 

2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Yes, bigger is always better and at elevation I wouldn't buy the base 350 Monsoon in that era.   But, at the OP's stated elevation, I certainly wouldn't walk away from a good boat based on that motor.    

I think it really depends.  @Stevo's 2014 LSV (or was it a 15? I can't remember!) with 350 was tapped out at sea level with a 2419 running heavy with a full crew.  Granted that was running pretty heavy and a very dialed wave, but I suspect that even to go up to 800 ASL it would be felt.  With the shorter (more weight sensitive) boats the OP is looking at, the power issue can be felt even sooner. 

For a family runabout with some occasional rec surfing the 350 is probably plenty.  But to max out the potential... the engine is one of those few things you can't upgrade later.

5 hours ago, JpCrOOked said:

Great information, I had no idea that these motors had so much variance in different elevations, I would have assumed being in the mountains maybe.

So 2015+ LSV is updated dash electronics, looking for a bigger motor then the 5.7, I am thinking to try and keep an eye out for a newer model.  

After 2015, is there anything in a LSV that has been improved in any particular year?

EDIT:  I can get into an AXIS 2019+ 23' 

Would I still be "wanting" a Malibu if I did go this route, it's still a HUGE upgrade from what we have now, but...

just to keep things extra confusing, when folks around here say LSV, they are 99% of the time referring to the *23*LSV.  Malibu introduced the *22*LSV in 2019, as the successor to the 22VLX.  And of course the 25' boat is also called an LSV.

The difference between Malibu and Axis is more in the creature comforts than the performance.  You can get great performance from the axis hulls (disclaimer, while I've owned both I have way more experience with a 2016 Axis T22 than more recent malibus).  But the axis is way less baller than the malibu.  I don't think you'd be disappointed with the wake performance of an axis, especially a newer one with the power wedge.  One big caveat... if your storage situation requires you to drop your tower, Axis only went with a shock assist tower in like 2020.  Older boats have no assist, and dropping the tower is HEAVY!!!  Haha it's the thing I disliked the very very most about our 2016 Axis T22.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I think it really depends.  @Stevo's 2014 LSV (or was it a 15? I can't remember!) with 350 was tapped out at sea level with a 2419 running heavy with a full crew.  Granted that was running pretty heavy and a very dialed wave, but I suspect that even to go up to 800 ASL it would be felt.  With the shorter (more weight sensitive) boats the OP is looking at, the power issue can be felt even sooner. 

For a family runabout with some occasional rec surfing the 350 is probably plenty.  But to max out the potential... the engine is one of those few things you can't upgrade later.

Fair enough.  Maybe my buddy had a tight tolerance motor producing some extra power :). 

We routinely ran it with 6 adults and PNP full and surfed fine, or 4 adults and 6 small kids most days.  Yes, it was working hard.   I don't recall hitting the "speed wall" on it unless we had more adults onboard (10 or so on some of our big weekends), or if we had to many people/weight in the back and the nose would go high so the prop was pushing us "out" of the water vs. across it.   I'm not sure what Stevo ran - we didn't have extra lead - just people and PNP.   We also didn't surf that hull much above 11.3 if I recall correctly.  If trying to run 12+, I get it would have struggled.   

And you know I respect you Shawn, so I'm certainly not disagreeing that more motor is better.    I get it the 350 was marginal and often debated in that era, but it was also the most common powerplant and what most folks probably had.  I guess the OP would need to decide to prioritize looking for the larger powerplant vs. other colors/options etc. on the boat potentially.  The used market is tough, so I was just trying to balance what the needs are.   

@JpCrOOked To confuse you even more, in 2016 the 23LSV ran the Ford Raptor 6.2L as the base motor.  It was branded as the Monsoon 410.   The transmission ratio also changed.   The 410 or 450 in a 2016 works fine IMO, just the Ford powerplant was known to be a little noisier than the 5.7L GM based platform in 2015.   

22 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

And you know I respect you Shawn, so I'm certainly not disagreeing that more motor is better.   

100% no worries! Please disagree!  I'm wrong about all kinds of stuff all the time.  Just ask my wife.

(fer reals, I think everyone learns when stuff like this is hashed out)

... also you are reminding me that I'm probably looking at this through the lens of someone who wants to get the biggest wave possible and doesn't want the engine holding me back.  But the vast majority of malibu owners aren't that.  Shoot how many peeps do you see in late model boats on a given weekend "surfing" with the rope in hand?

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

100% no worries! Please disagree!  I'm wrong about all kinds of stuff all the time.  Just ask my wife.

(fer reals, I think everyone learns when stuff like this is hashed out)

... also you are reminding me that I'm probably looking at this through the lens of someone who wants to get the biggest wave possible and doesn't want the engine holding me back.  But the vast majority of malibu owners aren't that.  Shoot how many peeps do you see in late model boats on a given weekend "surfing" with the rope in hand?

This feels like a backhanded compliment about my own riding abilities since I was defending the 350 :).  I may go back to the other thread and talk tubing techniques now.  😎

• Haha 2

@hethj7  "To confuse you even more, in 2016 the 23LSV ran the Ford Raptor 6.2L as the base motor.  It was branded as the Monsoon 410."

Is this also another motor, just below the Monsoon 410?  Or is this the 410?

spacer.png

I am starting to lean towards a 2016+ 23' LSV after this research.  

Most are valued or offered @$100K right now, being the season, I may continue to dial in my knowledge and find something in this era.  

Thanks @Ronnie @shawndoggy @hunter77ah

Edited by JpCrOOked
1 minute ago, hethj7 said:

This feels like a backhanded compliment about my own riding abilities since I was defending the 350 :).  I may go back to the other thread and talk tubing techniques now.  😎

Not at all!  @Stevo's wake was money with the 350 (albeit at the limit at sea level).

1 minute ago, JpCrOOked said:

@hethj7  "To confuse you even more, in 2016 the 23LSV ran the Ford Raptor 6.2L as the base motor.  It was branded as the Monsoon 410."

Is this also another motor, just below the Monsoon 410?  Or is this the 410?

spacer.png

I am starting to lean towards a 2016+ 23' LSV after this research.  

Most are valued or offered @$100K right now, being the season, I may continue to dial in my knowledge and find something in this era.  

Thanks @shawndoggy @hunter77ah

That looks like an indmar-marinized GM L96 6.0L motor.

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

Not at all!  @Stevo's wake was money with the 350 (albeit at the limit at sea level).

That looks like an indmar-marinized GM L96 6.0L motor.

Just to clarify, this pic was pulled from a 2015 23' LSV if it matters.

I think Shawn is right - that is the 6.0L 409 GM based motor.  If we can keep confusing you, when Malibu went to Ford in 2016 they steered away from using HP numbers and used torque instead in their ratings.  So the Ford 410 was a torque number while that GM 409 was  HP number (at least we all think that is correct).   There is probably an exception out there somewhere, but in general you should only find the Ford 6.2L 410, the Ford 6.2L 450 (widely believed to be the same as the 410 except with a different factory tune), and then the Roush 575 supercharged Ford plant in the 2016 and 2017 23 LSVs.    

16 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I think Shawn is right - that is the 6.0L 409 GM based motor.  If we can keep confusing you, when Malibu went to Ford in 2016 they steered away from using HP numbers and used torque instead in their ratings.  So the Ford 410 was a torque number while that GM 409 was  HP number (at least we all think that is correct).   There is probably an exception out there somewhere, but in general you should only find the Ford 6.2L 410, the Ford 6.2L 450 (widely believed to be the same as the 410 except with a different factory tune), and then the Roush 575 supercharged Ford plant in the 2016 and 2017 23 LSVs.    

Ya, it'll take me a minute to figure out all these nuances!  

So for searching for boats, I have local listings; FaceB, & CraigsL, And classifieds here.

Searching BoatT, they all seem pretty overpriced from what I can tell.

Is onlyIB the best place, or if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Can I set messaging of some are listed?