Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Different soft grip material


Recommended Posts

Noticed that in our 2022, the soft grip flooring is a different material than in previous years. I’m assuming this is due to supply chain issues. This year it is smooth on top rather than having a grain in it. It is so smooth that it becomes very slick, to the point that multiple people slipped on it. In addition, it seems softer and not as durable/tough. I’m wondering if this material is a permanent change. Is the new stuff on all 2022’s or just some? Might be a bit hard to see difference in images. Sorry I don’t have any closeup. Gray boat is 2021, white boat is 2022.

BA883629-367D-48CC-A047-982B664E4E59.jpeg

AD5F299B-DF14-4E43-BF47-25C8B7078468.jpeg

Link to comment

Yeah, funny you mentioned it b/c I just fell off the back of my 2022 this weekend.  Luckily I was able to control my fall and fell into the water, albeit fully dressed.  Definitely slick when wet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Noticed that in our 2022, the soft grip flooring is a different material than in previous years. I’m assuming this is due to supply chain issues. This year it is smooth on top rather than having a grain in it. It is so smooth that it becomes very slick, to the point that multiple people slipped on it. In addition, it seems softer and not as durable/tough. I’m wondering if this material is a permanent change. Is the new stuff on all 2022’s or just some? Might be a bit hard to see difference in images. Sorry I don’t have any closeup. Gray boat is 2021, white boat is 2022.

BA883629-367D-48CC-A047-982B664E4E59.jpeg

AD5F299B-DF14-4E43-BF47-25C8B7078468.jpeg

I noticed the same thing when I picked my 2022 up recently.  I haven't noticed it being slippery yet as I've only put a few break in hours on the boat at this point, mostly due to a really wet & cold May.  I'm definitely concerned with the durability, just doesn't seem like it's going to hold up.  I don't really like how soft it is either.  Thanks for the heads up on how slippery it is.  I'll have to warn my 6'6" buddy that regularly over serves himself while on the boat to be careful!  I would put money on him being the first to take a header! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Posted (edited)

Same experience with my 2022. Surface is less “scraped” and more smooth in comparison with past gatorstep and Seadek products. Less pleasing feel on bare feet. Overall impression is of lesser quality. Time will tell for durability. 
 

I believe Malibu is sourcing and cutting their own product in house now for the soft grip flooring. Not sure when the switch was made but in 2019 it was Seadek for Malibu and I believe gatorstep for some of the axis. 

Edited by lerch
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Slipped and fell in my A22 this weekend. Lucky for me my buddy caught me and took most of the momentum out. First boat, but sounds like previous models had a rougher/sturdier surface on the soft grip.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Yeah, funny you mentioned it b/c I just fell off the back of my 2022 this weekend.  Luckily I was able to control my fall and fell into the water, albeit fully dressed.  Definitely slick when wet.

Lol, I hate to admit but I stepped from dock to swim platform this weekend, took a nice spill and rammed my foot into the metal block cutout that the flip down step goes into. Didn’t feel good 

Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Shea said:

I noticed the same thing when I picked my 2022 up recently.  I haven't noticed it being slippery yet as I've only put a few break in hours on the boat at this point, mostly due to a really wet & cold May.  I'm definitely concerned with the durability, just doesn't seem like it's going to hold up.  I don't really like how soft it is either.  Thanks for the heads up on how slippery it is.  I'll have to warn my 6'6" buddy that regularly over serves himself while on the boat to be careful!  I would put money on him being the first to take a header! 

Lol, we all have that friend! It is really slippery when wet. 

Link to comment

Super bummed about this.  The whole reason I order it is because it used to be super durable, easy to clean and provide great traction for people jumping off the gunnels.  Not impressed Malibu, not impressed...  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

my wonderful scraped soft feeling never slip GS in my 2022 is bubbling up all over the place and no pin prick is solving it,  right now i’d take smooth and  slippery!

Link to comment

So , I have a nov 21 build t250. My boat had some gel issues and during repair , my floor got damaged . Some of the pieces came in last week and didn’t match existing . There was a running change . So whole new floor coming . And btw, I was standing on the swim deck , staring off into the distance , fell right in because of slippery soft grip :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Livinlogs said:

So , I have a nov 21 build t250. My boat had some gel issues and during repair , my floor got damaged . Some of the pieces came in last week and didn’t match existing . There was a running change . So whole new floor coming . And btw, I was standing on the swim deck , staring off into the distance , fell right in because of slippery soft grip :) 

Are they replacing every piece in the boat so that everything matches or just one section? The reason I ask is we just had some pieces replaced in our 2021 23 LSV and it is the new material, but now we have some old pieces and some new, which is a bummer since the old stuff has the grain and looks completely different. Im torn whether I should push to have them replace all of the pieces to match the new stuff or just leave it be, because as others have mentioned the new material doesn’t seem as durable as the old stuff. 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Justinsloan said:

Are they replacing every piece in the boat so that everything matches or just one section? The reason I ask is we just had some pieces replaced in our 2021 23 LSV and it is the new material, but now we have some old pieces and some new, which is a bummer since the old stuff has the grain and looks completely different. Im torn whether I should push to have them replace all of the pieces to match the new stuff or just leave it be, because as others have mentioned the new material doesn’t seem as durable as the old stuff. 

I asked that very question. Because they planned on replacing the swim deck and most of the floor and I’m told it needs to be a whole kit . I asked so that means top deck too ? I’ll find out soon . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I haven’t logged enough hours yet with the 2022 to experience the slick surface directly but can imagine that it would be slick based on the texture and dry feel on feet. We as the user community need to make sure that feedback gets to the dealer network and Malibu because being slick under normal  use conditions is a fundamental issue aside from the other attributes that will lead to injury at some point (especially with the gunnels application).

Link to comment
21 hours ago, Justinsloan said:

Are they replacing every piece in the boat so that everything matches or just one section? The reason I ask is we just had some pieces replaced in our 2021 23 LSV and it is the new material, but now we have some old pieces and some new, which is a bummer since the old stuff has the grain and looks completely different. Im torn whether I should push to have them replace all of the pieces to match the new stuff or just leave it be, because as others have mentioned the new material doesn’t seem as durable as the old stuff. 

I was told today that they were replacing every piece . I have not seen the new stuff but they have 3-4 pieces in already . That’s how we found the switch . They were getting ready to replace the SG on the swim deck a couple weeks ago and saw the difference. I also have no idea when the change was made . Maybe some people that just took delivery, already have the newest version.  I heard that they have changed material every year since they took it in house . Makes it hard to support 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Posted (edited)

This slippery thing is very concerning.  If it’s the case, Malibu should be replacing everyone’s that has this stuff on it.  I consider it to be a warranty issue.  And then a Saftey and liability issue also.  
 

waiting on delivery of mine next week, but it was 

noticed it has no texture to it.  Very different then the brushed no slip texture of the sea deck. 
 

Edited by Dwake
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...