Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Guage crackable?

Was out on the lake, looked down and tach was reading over 6k - impossible.  When I shut it off needle was at around 1500.  Needle seems to have spun.  Anyone know if the tach on a 2012 can be opened up?

The left over Medallion style gauges I have messed with, after replacement, seemed to be held together with epoxy and not very easy to open up without damaging them.  The gauges use a stepper motor connected to a circuit board to move the indicator needle, kind of like modern automotive gauges do, and I haven't had much luck moving the indicator and making them work again.  A repair of the circuit board or replacing the stepper motor may be possible, but I really don't have much experience doing that with the Medallion gauges.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tank the trim ring off and use a thin razor saw to separate the lens from the gauge body so you can diddle the needle.  Changing the stepper motor will require a cut around the case body to get into the guts.

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just remembered this thread.  Gauge fixed itself magically next trip out.  No idea why it was goofed up for several restarts that day.

I really like it when I successfully ignore problems long enough that they fix themselves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1