Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Scangauge Fuel Flow Gauge project - anybody attempt on recent model year M5 engine?


Recommended Posts

Hi Folks - i was looking at this project on Wakegarage as something to put together for our new 2022 A22.  Curious if anybody has attempted this and if wiring is there for this on the M5 engines? I didn't notice a connector under the dash (rather i saw a USB connector) so assume this would need to get connected to a harness on the engine.  Yes i know one shouldn't own one of these boats if gas consumption is important but figured i could at least dial in the optimal cruise and surfing speeds.  It's a shame with all the electronics on this boat that the boat manufacturers don't expose this information.

Accurate Fuel Flow Gauge - Miscellaneous Projects - Wake Garage
https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110/

Link to comment

I'm assuming that the M5 and M6 engines use a MEFI-6 ECM.  Fox marine makes a NMEA-2000 Gateway for that ECM, but they show it as not available (temporarily delayed).

https://fox-marine.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=70

For that matter, I would assume that the Garmin displays on new boats are all NMEA-2000, so maybe a starting point is to ask Malibu to add a display (or figure out how to hack the display and add it yourself).

Link to comment

@TommyTunayes you can follow the scan gauge project exactly and plug it into the odbii port underneath the dash. I have it like that for my M6 and the M5 is the same. I just have the gauge mounted right below the top display. Works great. Love having it for dialing in my speeds. Plus you can really easily tell when you hit diminishing returns on the wave steepness when the fog shoots through the roof suddenly. 

Link to comment
28 minutes ago, justgary said:

I'm assuming that the M5 and M6 engines use a MEFI-6 ECM.  Fox marine makes a NMEA-2000 Gateway for that ECM, but they show it as not available (temporarily delayed).

https://fox-marine.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=70

For that matter, I would assume that the Garmin displays on new boats are all NMEA-2000, so maybe a starting point is to ask Malibu to add a display (or figure out how to hack the display and add it yourself).

I saw this Fox-Marine item as well and thought it could be another nice way to get the info on Iphone vs. Scanguage approach. I didn't notice any diag port under the dash.  Do you know where this can be found on a 2022 model?

I also wonder if the USB port under the dash of my 2022 A22 is passing any data or is it purely a dumb power port?  

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

@TommyTunayes you can follow the scan gauge project exactly and plug it into the odbii port underneath the dash. I have it like that for my M6 and the M5 is the same. I just have the gauge mounted right below the top display. Works great. Love having it for dialing in my speeds. Plus you can really easily tell when you hit diminishing returns on the wave steepness when the fog shoots through the roof suddenly. 

Hi - what year boat do you have? I have 2022 A22 and didn't notice any diag port under dash, just a USB port and the grounding bus.  Wondering if it could be in the storage locker on passenger side or maybe it is tucked away as i didn't look super hard.

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, TommyTuna said:

I didn't notice any diag port under the dash.

The diagnostic port will generally be on the engine.

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, justgary said:

The diagnostic port will generally be on the engine.

I guess the advantage then of that FoxMarine unit would be the ability to mount that in the engine compartment and not have to run any wires back to the the dash and just use the bluetooth signals it puts off.  Only downside i see on the FoxMarine (besides price) is that it doesn't appear to store the fuel consumed over a time period.  Only the instant readings of gallons consumed per hour.

That said, i bet the 2022s given they run Garmin are probably already using a NMEA2000 network to pass the various signals - it may be as simple as finding the NMEA200 plug and inserting a generic NMEA2000 gauge. If one could do this, it would probably even grab the GPS speed and combine with fuel flow info to give you MPG.  This is what i did on my previous boat which had a NMEA network with Evinrude ETC hooked into it. Once i hooked up a Garmin display, it was able to combine the engine data with GPS data to give super accurate fuel tank readings, total fuel consumped and even MPG so you could cruise at optimal speeds.

Link to comment

There is a standard straight 6 pin OBD-M diagnostic port on the port side of the intake manifold near the fuse box and there is also one under the dash.  The one under the dash is often tied up with all of the other harness wires and can be difficult to locate.

Link to comment

There is an obdii connector under the dash. You’ll have to hunt through all the bundles of cable but I know it’s there. Never seen a boat without one. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

There is an obdii connector under the dash. You’ll have to hunt through all the bundles of cable but I know it’s there. Never seen a boat without one. 

Thanks - will have a much closer look this weekend with camera. Super difficult to see and reach up in there through the tiny opening.

Link to comment
On 5/30/2022 at 10:49 AM, justgary said:

I'm assuming that the M5 and M6 engines use a MEFI-6 ECM.  Fox marine makes a NMEA-2000 Gateway for that ECM, but they show it as not available (temporarily delayed).

https://fox-marine.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=70

For that matter, I would assume that the Garmin displays on new boats are all NMEA-2000, so maybe a starting point is to ask Malibu to add a display (or figure out how to hack the display and add it yourself).

EControls.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, 23LSVOwner said:

EControls.

That's pretty terse; I assume you are saying that Malibu uses an EControls ECM on the M5 and M6 engines.  Do you know the model number?

Link to comment

What is typically the optimal cruise rpm for the m5 and a22? Reading most of the boating mag tests out there seems like 3500 rpm is the sweet spot for mpg ? I run about 24 mph at 3500 rpm with wife and two kids in boat

Link to comment
On 5/31/2022 at 11:27 AM, justgary said:

That's pretty terse; I assume you are saying that Malibu uses an EControls ECM on the M5 and M6 engines.  Do you know the model number?

Not off of the top of my head.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...