Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Malibu MXZ Software Update

Hey Malibu experts - My surf gates and wedge stopped working.  They won’t calibrate or open in service mode.  The dealer had it for service to repair the power to the depth gauge and think they did something to the wiring.  Also thought they might have updated software and that’s creating the issue.  There are no fuses blown and also the service breakers at the rear of the boat are not tripped.  I disconnected the battery and reset the computer.  I thought maybe the software needs to be updated.   Does anyone have any recommendations or also how to get the current software download to update it?  Thanks in advance! 

Check the electrical cable connections at the power post near the port transmission mount, at the ground post on the engine, at the rear breaker panel, and on the batteries.  Also, check the surfgate/wedge relay harness plug near the breakers.  Try a software reset to factory defaults on the settings menu, then calibrate the surf gates.

Your dealer should be able to update your viper software if needed.  The most current version for 2019 Malibu Wakesetter is MY2019 - V03-2019V2.

Thanks!  I just checked the connections at the relay surf harness and everything was connected.  I disconnected and reconnected.  

I couldn’t get to the electrical ground posts or can’t find them.  I removed the inside panel and followed the cables to each of the surf gates and also the wedge.  All were connected.  

Where is the rear electrical panel?  I could only find the relay panel on top of the engine.  

I did the reset of the computer.  Also disconnected the battery cables and reconnected.   

When I push begin calibrate it states it’s calibrating but nothing moves.  

When I push service to open the gates, the computer completely locks up and requires power shut down to do anything.  

much appreciated for your help! 

The location on the engine ground post depends on which engine you have.  The easiest way to find it is to follow the large 2/0 black battery ground cable from where it comes out of the port stringer and follow it to the engine.  The Ford engines also have a ground cable on the port exhaust manifold for the rear electrical panel.

The rear electrical panel is located in the port rear PNP storage compartment near the engine compartment.  It is a carpeted panel with four breakers on it and it is attached to the bulkhead with four screws.

When you calibrate the surf gates they will retract for about 9 seconds, stop for about 3 seconds, then retract again.  They will continue this cycle until you stop the calibration.  If the surf gates are already retracted they will not physically move, but you should still be able to hear the actuator motors run as they try to retract.

Surf gate service will extend the surf gates and then stop.  The surf gates will retract when you end the surf gate service.  What is your battery voltage when you run the surf gate service?

A faulty six pack relay box for the surf gates and wedge could prevent the surf gates from extending.  I have tapped on the relays with a screwdriver handle while using the surf gate service to temporarily free up stuck relays.  Sometimes it works.

Loose connections or low voltage cause most issues, but are not the cause of all issues.  Sometimes there are faulty components in the system that prevent it from working.

I’ll go check right now for the rear electrical panel and let you know if it is the issue.  Thanks so much.  To answer your questions, when I select calibrate there is no movement of the actuators for either the surf gates or the wedge.  It seems there is no power to the relay panel.  I don’t have a tester handy to check if there is power.  

I’ll check the voltage but believe it shows 1-0.  

thanks again - I’ll respond asap. 

I’ll go check right now for the rear electrical panel and let you know if it is the issue.  Thanks so much.  To answer your questions, when I select calibrate there is no movement of the actuators for either the surf gates or the wedge.  It seems there is no power to the relay panel.  I don’t have a tester handy to check if there is power.  

I’ll check the voltage but believe it shows 1-0.  

thanks again - I’ll respond asap. 

The boat is a 2019 24 MXZ.  I couldn’t find another electrical panel on the port or starboard side. 1102DC99-3357-46B7-B66F-3761C38CE112.thumb.jpeg.42ce1bfbe2c5bec30e674ac281853971.jpegABCF8FD5-B4DF-40CA-9538-FE97D6C50989.thumb.jpeg.ef43e59a54676d926870d678c9c8be9b.jpeg

i removed the surf gate relay panel to check for a panel.  See attached picture.  

There isn’t an electrical panel below it or by the engine that I could find. 

Your photos are of the electrical panel I was referring to, meaning it is a panel with a bunch of electrical connections.

All of the wires on the breakers should be tight enough that you can not easily move the eyelets by hand.  You could test the voltage at each breaker stud to make sure they all have system voltage when the battery switch is on, which should be around 12.0-12.6 volts.  With the battery switch off, you could disconnect the Deutsch and Metripack connectors, check the pins for damage, and then reconnect them securely.

Your second photo shows the row of breakers at the top, the six pack relay box on the left, and the I/O module on the right of the panel.

The settings menu System Diag on the dash small touch screen will show you the CAN status and the Modules Detected by the Viper controller for communication.  The I/O module should be in that list of modules.  Take a photo of that screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ci6d4ycbbas6bqk/20200716_112200.jpg?dl=0

1.  The right two red have 12.4v at terminal connection (relay panel main).  The other 6 have no power.  I tried with the computer in calibrating mode but no power.  I disconnected the black connection and there is no power at any of the pins.  
2.  I disconnected the round mainline connection.  There is only power on the larger main red wire.  

Again - thanks for your help.  

Since the I/O module is not displayed in green, the IO module version reads 0.0, and several inputs for the module are shown as open, it looks like your I/O module is not communicating on the CAN2 (Controller Area Network #2) to the Viper controller near the helm.  The I/O module uses data from the network to determine when to energize the relays for the wedge and surfgates.  It also sends information along the network for the fuel level, wedge position, left and right ballast tanks, etc.

A loose or disconnected ground cable can do that, or a broken wire or connector in the wiring harness.  The CAN2 harness plug is the small grey Deutsche plug with the white, blue, purple, and black wires on the rear electrical panel, so make sure it is connected and none of the pins or wires are damaged.  It could be caused by a faulty IO module, but that is very uncommon.

Have you checked the ground cable connection on the engine yet?

I checked and the ground was very tight.  Everything worked great until I dropped it off to the Malibu dealership for the 100 hour service.   Right when I turned it on for the first time the high speed wedge warning came on and thought it was odd.  The fuel gauge reads zero but just filled it up.  I thought maybe the wedge was down and turned on the surf system to fill and then select Go Home and reset it.  That’s when I realized that nothing was working. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2022 at 10:17 AM, BurghMalibu said:

Hey Malibu experts - My surf gates and wedge stopped working.  They won’t calibrate or open in service mode.  The dealer had it for service to repair the power to the depth gauge and think they did something to the wiring.  Also thought they might have updated software and that’s creating the issue.  There are no fuses blown and also the service breakers at the rear of the boat are not tripped.  I disconnected the battery and reset the computer.  I thought maybe the software needs to be updated.   Does anyone have any recommendations or also how to get the current software download to update it?  Thanks in advance! 

Did you finally get it fixed?  My boat just started doing the exact same thing. Wondering how you resolved it. 

Cheers,

On 7/1/2023 at 9:17 PM, Mattyb said:

Did you finally get it fixed?  My boat just started doing the exact same thing. Wondering how you resolved it. 

Cheers,

Not sure what did it, but after a couple of runs, and software resets its working just fine again.  Dont love that I never found the root cause, but at least we are surfing again.