Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Level / Quantity Question

I have a 2019 A22 with PCM 409.  Question I have is about motor oil quantity.  When I first received the boat brand new I've always made it a habit to check the motor oil before every outing day.  Since it was new and when I first checked it on the trailer the oil level would read about 1/8' above the FULL line on the dipstick.  When it is floating on the water the oil level would be about 1/16' below the FULL line.  It seems obvious to me that the correct method of measuring oil level is while the boat in floating in the water.  Here's my concern.  I faithfully change my own oil with an oil extractor that I suck out from the drain tube rubber hose that protrudes out of the boat plug opening.  I can only extract a little over 4 quarts of oil.  (4.15 quarts to be exact.)  That quantity includes the oil in the filter.  Is this the normal amount of oil for you guys who have the same motor?  Could my dipstick be reading incorrect?  I change my oil after the engine has been running all day so it is hot.  My extractor sucks well.  Am I missing something?  I'm pretty sure the oil quantity specification is 5 quarts.     

Just checking on your statement "includes quantity the oil in the filter"

So 4.15- is what you've measured once you tipped the contents of the filter into the extractor?

Reason for query is oil will not drain from filter using extractor. Filter will remain full. Extractor only removes oil from sump.  Even if you tip the oil from the filter some will remain in filter. Basically do not expect exact spec oil quantity when changing oil.

Yes exactly.  I drained all the oil from the oil filter into the extractor.  Total amount of oil extracted from engine is 4.14 quarts.  

I'd expect to get closer to spec than that then. Suspect your extractor hoes isn't reaching lowest point in sump, or the attitude of the boat on trailer has oil sitting where extractor hose isn't. Depending on engine & boat setup try fliting or lowing front of trailer. Trying estimating length on outside of engine to reach lowest point then insert tube into dipstick hole to that length. Be careful, they get stuck, break off, etc (that's why I use the factory drain hose and not dipstick hose extractor) 

5 minutes ago, PopsA22 said:

I have a 2019 A22 with PCM 409.  Question I have is about motor oil quantity.  When I first received the boat brand new I've always made it a habit to check the motor oil before every outing day.  Since it was new and when I first checked it on the trailer the oil level would read about 1/8' above the FULL line on the dipstick.  When it is floating on the water the oil level would be about 1/16' below the FULL line.  It seems obvious to me that the correct method of measuring oil level is while the boat in floating in the water.  Here's my concern.  I faithfully change my own oil with an oil extractor that I suck out from the drain tube rubber hose that protrudes out of the boat plug opening.  I can only extract a little over 4 quarts of oil.  (4.15 quarts to be exact.)  That quantity includes the oil in the filter.  Is this the normal amount of oil for you guys who have the same motor?  Could my dipstick be reading incorrect?  I change my oil after the engine has been running all day so it is hot.  My extractor sucks well.  Am I missing something?  I'm pretty sure the oil quantity specification is 5 quarts. 

Normal.  Your extractor is probably leaving 1/8" to 1/4" in the bottom of the pan.  I was never able to get more than 4.5 qts in our 2016 with 450 (same block as yours), including the fillup of the new filter before spinning it on.  one trick is to save the half quart for the next oil change.  Once your extractor sucks dry, then pour the half quart in and let that suck too (you'll get more of the dirty oil out that way).

5 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Normal.  Your extractor is probably leaving 1/8" to 1/4" in the bottom of the pan.  I was never able to get more than 4.5 qts in our 2016 with 450 (same block as yours), including the fillup of the new filter before spinning it on.  one trick is to save the half quart for the next oil change.  Once your extractor sucks dry, then pour the half quart in and let that suck too (you'll get more of the dirty oil out that way).

Ok great suggestion.  I guess I'm surprised that this engine is designed for such a low volume of oil.  With the work demand of surfing and wake surfing I wonder why the quantity is so low.  I've been changing my own oil in RV's, boats, cars and trucks my whole life and I've never experienced such a small amount of oil in an application like this.   

It's been discussed here in the past.  PCM designed the 409 / 450 engine with a very small oil pan.  Lot's of banter about why but nothing coming directly from PCM that I'm aware of.  I get 4.5 qts. out of mine including the contents of the filter.  Your not far off from that so I wouldn't worry to much.  Change more often if your concerned about wear n tear.  

• Like 2