Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Headunit Wiring - Can't Get Power to Unit

txresponse

txresponse

I've been struggling getting my new headunit to power up, I started with the basic Power adapter for it before I started connecting the speakers.

The power harness is: Black Red Yellow Blue (So ground, acc, 12v constant, ant?)

LXtdhGP.jpg

I connected:

-Black to black

-Red to red

-Blue to blue

-Yellow to... White/Purple, then White/Blue, then combined Red + Yellow (Stereo Harness) to connect to Red (Boat Harness)

Battery is on, ignition is on, stereo switch is on.

What am I doing wrong? :( I'm trying to get the headunit to power up before I start figuring out the speaker wiring arrangement

Edit: The headunit before worked (Kenwood), but it wasn't a marine headunit so I got a Pyle marine headunit. Fuse is good on the back of the Pyle. Light on the rocker switch lights up so I'm assuming that has a good power supply to it.

Edited by txresponse
More details
txresponse
3 hours ago, MLA said:

Get a $20 volt meter from Harbor freight and find your ground, constant 12V and switched 12V on the boat side. 

This was the first thing I did I should have mentioned, I got an auto multimeter ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-600V-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter-MM400/206517333 )

Set to V~ and couldn't get a reading in the factory harness. Ground was on the battery ground. This is why I posted this because I got confused, the stereo was working prior to me cutting the wires. Unless V~ isn't to read 12v I'm hitting my head against the wall. I don't see how the factory harness would suddenly stop sending voltage - I checked the fuse panel and seems fine.

txresponse
On 5/28/2022 at 7:37 AM, MLA said:

Test your meter and settings right on the battery. I think you are on volts AC scale. 

On 5/28/2022 at 9:32 AM, csleaver said:

On most meters the V~ setting is for reading AC voltage.  You need to set the meter to read DC voltage which looks kind of like V= on the meter.

Thank you both, the multimeter did default to AC so I had to press SEL to read DC. I got the unit powered up, now I need to play with the speaker wires and hopefully get those working next:salute: