Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Masters

rakr

I know the days of tourneys being on ESPN with huge crowds have been gone a bit, which is understandable, but also kind of sucks. Do we really think there are a lot of non-skiers that watch these events? I always get a chuckle when the announcers explain the disciplines, how to score points, and some of the basic nuances of the sport. Is there anyone listening that needs to know what the entrance gates are or what an offside turn is? I realize they are trying to be inclusive (for all those that are seeing the sport for the first time), and there is a lot of dead space to fill between passes, especially with slalom and jump. 

Edited by rakr
14 minutes ago, rakr said:

Do we really think there are a lot of non-skiers that watch these events? 

No.  I don't.  But I still love watching and am thankful for companies like the WSBC and Tony Lightfoot so me and my boy can watch (even though this one is on vimeo).  

Edited by jjackkrash
ahopkins22LSV

Actually, my wife has learned a ton from these webcasts and I hope my daughter is learning without knowing it. So yes I think there are a lot of people watching that maybe learning.

Ive for plans all weekend so probably will just be catching up with highlights but I expect this to be the highest scoring masters ever. 

@ahopkinsVTX I had not really considered the "younger contingent", when making that statement. I'll try to keep any skiing I can on the main TV in our house just in the background of doing normal "weekend stuff". After a few hours, my kids are usually chomping at the bit to watch Power Rangers.

ahopkins22LSV

Yeah these kids, and all skiers that ski light on the line and use the boat/ZO to do all of the work behind the boat can really recover from pretty much anything as long as their ski is under them. They sometimes look later at the buoy and just after, but they are so efficient behind the boat it doesn't matter.

Due to this thread, I turned it on for a few min and wow...no idea what's going on or that such events even  existed, but it looks like a blast! Definitely going to put it on and hope the kids 'accidentally' see it.

I'm all about variety for towing activities, so now i gotta start googling these ski things...

ahopkins22LSV

Trick skiing is insane and very under appreciated. The things they are doing now for both men and women were not even though of 1-2 years ago. Men used to win with scratching 10k points a few years ago now that’s a minimum for women to win and you won’t even make the cut in mens. More people should really watch it. My daughter is amazed by it. I’ve never done it but would be more than willing to start if that’s what she wants to do!

• Like 3