Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switched out the carpet for DECKadence marine flooring

lake4life

"Where I've seen DIY'ers that have done this it looks really nice and has proved to be very durable and stands up to long term use without fading or wearing away.  I do plan to do some custom designs on it when I have some time later this year."

Highly recommend.  Local sign shops can make you a stencil easily off whatever design you can dream up.  The PVC paint is available online.  I kept a scrap piece of Deckadence when I cut out the main boat carpet, and bought two stencils - one to practice on.  My practice stencil piece sits outside at the hot tub, and gets sunlight and weather every day.  Stencil still looks great 6 years later.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, malibudog said:

"Where I've seen DIY'ers that have done this it looks really nice and has proved to be very durable and stands up to long term use without fading or wearing away.  I do plan to do some custom designs on it when I have some time later this year."

Highly recommend.  Local sign shops can make you a stencil easily off whatever design you can dream up.  The PVC paint is available online.  I kept a scrap piece of Deckadence when I cut out the main boat carpet, and bought two stencils - one to practice on.  My practice stencil piece sits outside at the hot tub, and gets sunlight and weather every day.  Stencil still looks great 6 years later.

One thing I was curious about with this, how does it affect the feel of the flooring when you walk on it.  For instance, does the paint make it feel a bit crunchier or anything like that or is not really that noticeable difference in feel?

https://marineflooring.net

They have a standard width of 6' and lengths from 3'-30'.  You can also seam pieces together if it makes sense for your layout.  The 6'x9' was the size that worked as one piece for my '13 VTX ($800).  You can order samples off the website as well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What size pieces did you guys by?  I have a 2015 22 VLX but I'm not at my boat right now, would like to order prior to going to the lake (where the boat is).

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Update:  Season done and the verdict is in,  I'd do this again if given the choice and absolutely choose it over EVA foam floors.  The up keep was so easy.  Virtually impossible to stain and the dirt just falls straight through.   An unfortunate boarding accident ended up with the floor covered in blood.  Simple rinse with a bucket of water and its gone - I mean gone, no trace.  Didn't have to clean dirt or sand all season because it just falls through and you never know it was there.  End of the season I just lifted out the flooring and sprayed/wiped down the gel coat flooring under it and done.  To each their own, nothing against the EVA foam floors, they are very nice as well, but I'm completely sold on Deckadence for my boats here on out if given the choice.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Since it isn't glued or snapped down, does it move at all?

Steve B.

Nope, doesn't move at all.  The combination of the  backing being sort of rubbery webbing, it actually being heavier (weight wise) than you'd expect, and it being edge to edge makes it stick in place very well.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Bkreece said:

Beyond tearing out the old carpet, what sort of floor prep did you do?

I was fortunate that I had snap out carpet.  So nothing because the floor is gel coat.