Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tubing Tips Needed for 25 LSV

4mc

Tried taking the kids tubing for first time behind the new boat.  No wedge no ballast.  Daughter was disappointed.

What does everyone recommend for a good tubing experience?

Wedge setting and or any ballast?

I think that this is all driving style and experimenting.  If anything, I use front ballast only.  I don't think that big wake from the tow boat is the answer.  Pulling a tube across another wake and timing it just right, however, can definitely be the answer...

What are her expectations?

is she looking to get tossed?

We have 2 different tubes

airhead half pipe and the airhead slice 

the half pipe is good  for multiple riders and is fairly maneuverable but from a drivers perspective it can waster a lot of fuel trying to toss a group of 3 tweens.

the Slice on the other hand is really only a single adult rider and maybe 2 teens, and this tube will whip anyone off with moderate turns and maneuvers.

I generally use no ballast or wedge to save on fuel , wear/tear on the boat.

3 minutes ago, amartin said:

I think that this is all driving style and experimenting.  If anything, I use front ballast only.  I don't think that big wake from the tow boat is the answer.  Pulling a tube across another wake and timing it just right, however, can definitely be the answer...

Agree, the large wake tends to trap the tow rope and prematurely slow down the tube or keep it from being pulled away from the direction of the turn.

I definitely dont use any ballast or wedge (A24). Lately ive been towing from the tower vs ski pylon, helps avoid submarine start and a little more air/out of wake.

Other huge factor is weight of rider vs tube size/ style. If I put an 80 lbs kid alone on a 3-person airhead g-force, no amount of throttle or turnover ing can get them outside the wake (too much drag) and he is instantly bored. If i get 3 kids or add an adult, then theres enough momentum to whip them around and it's all smiles. 

Edited by CaptainMorgan

Being a good tube driver is an art.  My wife hates pulling a tube but she is a MUCH better tube puller than I am (she grew up with a boat).  Things I've noticed:

- we tow from the pylon or the stern tow bar (i would never tow from the tower)

- a ton of speed isn't the key.  it's timing - when you apply acceleration in conjunction with the turns (so no ballast, no wedge).  hint, the wake is bigger at lower speeds relative to high speeds.

- it's a good time to practice double ups

- tube type/style matters re movement (2 man vs 3 man vs 4 man)

- weight matters (heavier, the harder it is to move the tube)

• Like 2

Towers really aren’t rated for the loads tubing puts on them.  

Also, I am shocked we are already this deep in this thread and still seriously talking tubing strategies.  

A90D763F-C262-40CF-B799-AA845B2CA26E.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Also, I am shocked we are already this deep in this thread and still seriously talking tubing strategies.  

A90D763F-C262-40CF-B799-AA845B2CA26E.png

i've never seen such a label on my axis tower and the dealership originally recommended I use it vs the ski tow pylon (i forget sales guy's logic), but certainly tubing can impart some loads - especially based on driver technique. 

i've gone thru phases where i used pylon vs tower -- and frankly now i'm second guessing my memory of what was my 'best practice' last year.  I thought i was using tower...but i just remembered i ended the summerusing pylon - not because of tower load - but rather when you stop, the tow-rope dangles into the cabin and i was worried about people getting tangled. After a couple outings with big crews, i didn't like that rope near the people and went to pylon. so i'm flip-flopping to pylon camp. Final answer. 

I think best choice is to stick to tubing when the water is at it's roughest.  No ballast, as others have said it traps the tube.  Speed wise. high teens, low 20s.  Turn off the perfect pass/cruise control.  I gas it as I'm pushing the tuber away from the wake, dethrottle then to let them skim out.  I think #1 rule though is don't let the line slack.  That is just mean.  Overall there is an ebb and flow to throttle/dethrottle and when you are whipping them on turns, mixed with finding waves to bounce them over.  

For the younger lighter riders I will run some ballast upfront and put the wedge in lift mode. This help keep the rope from getting trapped by the wake. 

I find that shortening the ropes also helps for driver control and the tubes potentially crossing a cleaner part of the wake

4 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I've pulled from the tower over many many years across many makes and models and never have had a problem - I just think it is the best experience both for rider and driver to pull from up top.  I know it tends to be a controversial subject amongst boaters with two sides of the fence - everyone needs to do what they think is best,  but for what its worth here is straight from my '13 VTX official Malibu manual:

The tower is rated for a maximum of 130 lbs (58.9 kg) accessory weight and not more than 600 lbs (272.1 kg) total rider weight. Exceeding these limits voids any structural warranty pertaining to the tower. Approved activities for usage of the tower include wakeboarding, wake skating, skiing or tubing.

18 hours ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

Why not?

for reasons mentioned above with regards to the tower not being designed for tubing.  2nd reason is, the whole reason for a tower in the first place was so wakeboarders could get more air unless you have a death wish and want to kite tube...

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

This lemon thing keeps the rope up out of the water, it helps keep the spray off the younger riders, but does not make it any more fun for anyone else.

4190DEB1-7E72-4271-84AD-3BCFBED82C93.jpeg

When towing a pair of tubes, the lemon thing is a nice alternative join point. Separation and timing of the two tubes is changed up so the kids get a different experience from the normal both ropes connected to the boat. When pulling three tubes only have the lemon on the center gives different dynamics for all three. 
I like using the Perfect Pass when pulling tubes. Easier to get the timing of hitting the doubles when the boat runs a continuous speed!