Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need new Prop 2014 VTX20

Phred

I have a 2014 Malibu VTX 20 with the Diamond cut hull and surf gates.  It has the original factory prop.  I would like to replace it with a new prop but not sure what to get. Current top speed is 40 mph which is fine and it pulls well for skiing, wakeboarding and surfing but I have to believe there is a better prop I could put on it.  Any suggestions?

Would not mind getting it to go around 42 to 44, but I don’t want to lose the power out of the hole. Is there a prop option for that?

boat has the Monsoon 350 ss

What are your goals with it? Top speed (i.e. you need to zip down the lake to a good ski/surf spot), better fuel efficiency, more torque to get weighted boat out of the water for surfing? Unfortunately, you will always (there might be a case where this is wrong, but I am pretty sure this will be true 99% of the time) be trading top speed for hole shot/torque.

I had a 1273 on my '13 VTX which seemed to be a good "all around" prop". I can't think of a single occasion where I had my VTX over 40 mph with that prop, so I can't comment on it.

I'd second the 1273.  I'm also in need of a new prop.  Currently I have a 1235 on my '13 VTX and its a great prop for both surf and ski.  I hit 41-42 when empty on a good day.  I'm in need of a new prop this year and from what I understand the 1273 is identical to the 1235 but with a bigger cup - bigger cup means a touch more on the top end.  So to me if the 1273 can give me the low end umph of the 1235 for surfing and also add a touch on the top end, sounds perfect.  I plan on giving it a try this year at any rate.

Edited by lake4life