Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge Help

Hey guys I didn't get any replies or info on the Maintenance page, so trying here. 

Went boating last Saturday the 14th, had a great day, no issues. Put the boat away, it’s a 2012 Wakesetter VLX. Went out to get some stuff out of it Sunday the 22nd, so it’s been sitting for a week and noticed the wedge was all the way down. 

Is this a big issue? Never happened before. Do I just put it up next weekend when I get it on the water? Trouble shoot anything?

Open to any and all feedback on this please and if this has happened to anyone before and what to do. 

Thanks crew!

11 minutes ago, MalibuRyan said:

Hey guys I didn't get any replies or info on the Maintenance page, so trying here. 

Went boating last Saturday the 14th, had a great day, no issues. Put the boat away, it’s a 2012 Wakesetter VLX. Went out to get some stuff out of it Sunday the 22nd, so it’s been sitting for a week and noticed the wedge was all the way down. 

Is this a big issue? Never happened before. Do I just put it up next weekend when I get it on the water? Trouble shoot anything?

Open to any and all feedback on this please and if this has happened to anyone before and what to do. 

Thanks crew!

Posts will be moved into the correct forum. 

First thing I’d do is make sure you didn’t leave it down last time out. 

Have someone spin the paddle wheel for you while it’s on the trailer, while at the same time pushing the button to stow it. I still occasionally fat finger the screen while it is on the trailer and have to manually stow it.

54 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Posts will be moved into the correct forum. 

First thing I’d do is make sure you didn’t leave it down last time out. 

No, I don't leave it down, sure of that. 

19 minutes ago, wdr said:

Have someone spin the paddle wheel for you while it’s on the trailer, while at the same time pushing the button to stow it. I still occasionally fat finger the screen while it is on the trailer and have to manually stow it.

Spin the paddle wheel, meaning to fool the boat that it's moving right, and then try to move it up. I thought it needed the "help" from the water to help get it to the stowed position?

Never had it drop down like this while on the trailer, could something have failed, and if so is there a way to get it stowed until serviced?

Yes spin it by hand to fool it like there was actually water spinning the paddle wheel. First thing I would do is a hard reset by disconnecting the cables on the batteries to see if that clears the problem. Then do a wedge recalibration. If the wedge is stuck in the down position you can disconnect the rams from one end and pull the wedge up into the stowed position. Secure the wedge in the up position with a ratchet strap to get it to the dealer if need be. 

Edited by wdr
24 minutes ago, wdr said:

Yes spin it by hand to fool it like there was actually water spinning the paddle wheel. First thing I would do is a hard reset by disconnecting the cables on the batteries to see if that clears the problem. Then do a wedge recalibration. If the wedge is stuck in the down position you can disconnect the rams from one end and pull the wedge up into the stowed position. Secure the wedge in the up position with a ratchet strap to get it to the dealer if need be. 

Thanks for the info, I'll pull the cables and reset it before putting it in the water. This can't be a common problem and doesn't make sense. I have never heard of this happening before. I don't have someone to help me, so I might reset the system. Then put it in the water and try to raise it normally. If that doesn't work, there isn't a way to raise and lock it in place, so I can still use the boat?

31 minutes ago, MalibuRyan said:

Thanks for the info, I'll pull the cables and reset it before putting it in the water. This can't be a common problem and doesn't make sense. I have never heard of this happening before. I don't have someone to help me, so I might reset the system. Then put it in the water and try to raise it normally. If that doesn't work, there isn't a way to raise and lock it in place, so I can still use the boat?

Use the fuse bypass under the dashboard. Pull the panel that lists the power wedge and insert a fuse for the “up”. No additional person required. 

I’m surprised no one else suggested this already 

When spinning the paddle wheel, do you need to first switch from GPS to Paddle wheel for that to work? I have done it by using the bypass or driving it down the road with someone in the boat to raise it while GPS reads speed. Probably less than 100 yards to get it by driving method.

Edited by dalt1
23 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Use the fuse bypass under the dashboard. Pull the panel that lists the power wedge and insert a fuse for the “up”. No additional person required. 

I’m surprised no one else suggested this already 

I am not familiar with this, could you explain it in a little more detail. Excuse my ignorance in this matter. 

Is there anything else that would cause the wedge to go all the way down while sitting on the trailer?

2 hours ago, MalibuRyan said:

I am not familiar with this, could you explain it in a little more detail. Excuse my ignorance in this matter. 

Is there anything else that would cause the wedge to go all the way down while sitting on the trailer?

PM me with your phone number and I’ll walk you through it. 

Not sure which direction is pressurized with the wedge, but it might be possible that there is a hydraulic fluid leak around the piston, resulting in the slow sag down of the wedge. I have seen this with other hydraulic systems. Usually there is a screw that releases the pressure for manual raise or lower.