Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgate Cruise Speed vs River Speed

kungfulouee

kungfulouee

Has anyone had any experience getting surfgate to deploy with fast moving currents? We bought the '22 20 VTX w/ Di6M & Plug N'Play bags. In order to surf going upstream the speed (according to zero off GPS) is about 4.4 mph. At this speed the surfgate will not deploy(I somehow got it stuck in the surf left position and it worked great but could not repeat). Going down stream the speed is like 19 mph and surfgate will not deploy. I understand there is a paddle wheel option (the stock boat did not come with a paddle wheel although the system does give you the option to switch from GPS to paddle wheel) so I am having the dealer install the paddle wheel with the hopes that being able to run the cruise system off actual water speed will fix the issue. Does anyone have any advise on battling currents and using surfgate?

I boat on a river as well. I never use zero off gps. Always use paddle wheel.

10.2ish going down river and about 9.6 going up. This will depend however on the speed of the current.

Malibu stopped installing paddlewheels on the 2022s so glad to hear your dealer is helping you out. Mine did the same for me, and had to use a paddlewheel from their Supra service inventory and drill the hull for the install.

It’s essential for river use to compensate for the current, unless you want to always be adjusting the GPS to offset whatever the current is that day.

7 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Malibu stopped installing paddlewheels on the 2022s so glad to hear your dealer is helping you out. Mine did the same for me, and had to use a paddlewheel from their Supra service inventory and drill the hull for the install.

It’s essential for river use to compensate for the current, unless you want to always be adjusting the GPS to offset whatever the current is that day.

My dealer installed a paddlewheel for me as well since I almost exclusively operate in current. When Malibu called me to follow-up on my survey response, I made it a huge point of emphasis. They need to install paddlewheels on all boats. This is unacceptable for so many users. My fear is they will ignore us and remove the functionality to use paddlewheel from the Garmins/whatever Malibu uses on new boats.

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Raimie said:

My dealer installed a paddlewheel for me as well since I almost exclusively operate in current. When Malibu called me to follow-up on my survey response, I made it a huge point of emphasis. They need to install paddlewheels on all boats. This is unacceptable for so many users. My fear is they will ignore us and remove the functionality to use paddlewheel from the Garmins/whatever Malibu uses on new boats.

Completely agree.

I was on a buddy’s brand new XStar this weekend too and MC doesn’t even give a paddlewheel option now either. Messing with his zero-off to compensate for upstream or downstream was a complete PITA. So appears to not just be a Malibu issue this year.

17 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Completely agree.

I was on a buddy’s brand new XStar this weekend too and MC doesn’t even give a paddlewheel option now either. Messing with his zero-off to compensate for upstream or downstream was a complete PITA. So appears to not just be a Malibu issue this year.

Maybe we need to go back to pitot tubes?