Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgate Cruise Speed vs River Speed


Recommended Posts

kungfulouee

Has anyone had any experience getting surfgate to deploy with fast moving currents? We bought the '22 20 VTX w/ Di6M & Plug N'Play bags. In order to surf going upstream the speed (according to zero off GPS) is about 4.4 mph. At this speed the surfgate will not deploy(I somehow got it stuck in the surf left position and it worked great but could not repeat). Going down stream the speed is like 19 mph and surfgate will not deploy. I understand there is a paddle wheel option (the stock boat did not come with a paddle wheel although the system does give you the option to switch from GPS to paddle wheel) so I am having the dealer install the paddle wheel with the hopes that being able to run the cruise system off actual water speed will fix the issue. Does anyone have any advise on battling currents and using surfgate?

Link to comment

Wait for the paddle wheel install before trying it again. Your situation is exactly why paddle wheel is still an option!

Link to comment

I boat on a river as well. I never use zero off gps. Always use paddle wheel.

 

10.2ish going down river and about 9.6 going up. This will depend however on the speed of the current.

Link to comment

Malibu stopped installing paddlewheels on the 2022s so glad to hear your dealer is helping you out. Mine did the same for me, and had to use a paddlewheel from their Supra service inventory and drill the hull for the install.

It’s essential for river use to compensate for the current, unless you want to always be adjusting the GPS to offset whatever the current is that day.

 

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Malibu stopped installing paddlewheels on the 2022s so glad to hear your dealer is helping you out. Mine did the same for me, and had to use a paddlewheel from their Supra service inventory and drill the hull for the install.

It’s essential for river use to compensate for the current, unless you want to always be adjusting the GPS to offset whatever the current is that day.

 

My dealer installed a paddlewheel for me as well since I almost exclusively operate in current. When Malibu called me to follow-up on my survey response, I made it a huge point of emphasis. They need to install paddlewheels on all boats. This is unacceptable for so many users. My fear is they will ignore us and remove the functionality to use paddlewheel from the Garmins/whatever Malibu uses on new boats.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
58 minutes ago, Raimie said:

My dealer installed a paddlewheel for me as well since I almost exclusively operate in current. When Malibu called me to follow-up on my survey response, I made it a huge point of emphasis. They need to install paddlewheels on all boats. This is unacceptable for so many users. My fear is they will ignore us and remove the functionality to use paddlewheel from the Garmins/whatever Malibu uses on new boats.

Completely agree.

I was on a buddy’s brand new XStar this weekend too and MC doesn’t even give a paddlewheel option now either. Messing with his zero-off to compensate for upstream or downstream was a complete PITA. So appears to not just be a Malibu issue this year.

Link to comment
17 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Completely agree.

I was on a buddy’s brand new XStar this weekend too and MC doesn’t even give a paddlewheel option now either. Messing with his zero-off to compensate for upstream or downstream was a complete PITA. So appears to not just be a Malibu issue this year.

Maybe we need to go back to pitot tubes?

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Raimie said:

Maybe we need to go back to pitot tubes?

Are you trying to derail this thread? I check pitot tubes weekly! 🛩😀

Edited by NWBU
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...