Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Gx tower speaker adapter block assembly end caps

lerch

For anyone with a 2022 Gx tower and factory installed speakers can you confirm if the plastic compression fit end caps are use on both the front and the back of the two piece adapter block assembly?  Detail pics of front and back on tower would be greatly appreciated. 

Side note: seems an odd design to me that the compression fit plastic end cap appears to be the only thing other than the speaker wire lead to keep the two piece assemble from sliding apart with the speaker attached. Am I missing something?

There are two screws in each bracket that prevent the tower speaker from sliding off the tower bracket.  The small plastic covers are there to hide the screws.  There are only plastic covers on the rear of the slide brackets, not on the front.

Thanks. I have seen the G5 in person at the dealer but they don’t have a Gx. The G5 assembly is a bit different in that the speaker wire lead feeds through the front end of the assembly from the tower tube whereas on the Gx the wire lead feeds through the backside of the tower block piece from inside the tower plate. The front side of the adapter assembly butts up against the tower tube angle on the G5 but on the Gx it’s more open. 

I did an install on a 2019 Gx and it was a solid adapter block at that time. Steps were remove tower plate, attach block to plate from back side of plate (tower plate holes were not threaded) reinstall plate, attach speaker to adapter block through inside of speaker pod.
New 2 piece design steps appears to allow install without going into internals of Gx tower or speaker pod. Attach tower piece of adapter (tower plate is now 4 threaded mounts per speaker location), attach speaker piece of adapter to speaker pod (external attach), connect lead from speaker to lead from tower, slide two piece adapter assembly together with speaker attached, install compression end cap. I don’t see that the 2 bolts attaching the adapter block piece to the speaker or the 4 attaching the block piece to the tower would prevent the two pieces from potentially sliding apart. 

Edited by lerch

@csleaver thanks for the pic. After a close look I see the two black star head screws now.

Do you happen to know if the screws are a machine thread or a lag type thread?

Edited by lerch
corrected and follow up

They do not look like a regular fine or course thread machine screw, but they are not like a tapping wood screw either.  Kind of a strange fastener and easy to break the head off, too.