Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Sunsetter VLX Alternator voltage

I have a 1999 Sunsetter VLX with an Indmar 325 that has an alternator voltage issue.  The voltage started dropping from 14V to about 10V when under a load.  It happens at various rpm and various speeds.  Then it increases back to 14V.  I had the alternator rebuilt and the issue continued.  I replaced the alternator with a brand new one and the issue still continues.  I've checked the voltage using 2 different style meters and they all show the same as the voltmeter on the dash so I believe it is reading correctly.

The alternator has 3 wires (black, orange, and purple).

Has anyone seen this issue before?  What do I need to check?

Are there any electrical diagrams online?

12 hours ago, smileysteve said:

Follow each of the wires to where they connect; they're a vibration and corrosion culprit, especially the orange one.

This.  The implication here is that you have a bad connection somewhere.  Clean every connection you can find, and make sure they are tight.  "Looks good" doesn't count; you have to actually do some cleaning and tightening.