Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to hold the crank when replacing water pump

Hey Guys,

I am replacing the crank mounted water pump on my 23lsv. The hex bolts are so tight it is turning the motor over. How do you hold the crank to remove the hex bolts for the water pump?

2003 23lsv Wakesetter

Edited by stang233

The other thing you can do depending on your strength and tolerance for pain is to hold the crank pulley with one hand with your (gloved) hand inside the belt, so between your grip on the pulley and the belt squeezing your hand you might be able to hold it still.  For me - an impact would be the easiest way.

Edited by oldjeep
16 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That'll work for 2 out of 3 ;)

If you lucky not all of them are over torqued. Break em all loose then put needed one back in only tight as needed to get others out. But I knew someone would mention this issue.

4 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

If you lucky not all of them are over torqued. Break em all loose then put needed one back in only tight as needed to get others out. But I knew someone would mention this issue.

It isn't likely over torquing, it is dissimilar metal corrosion between the bolts and the aluminum pulley .  Same reason it is such a pain to get the pump off even after the bolts are removed.

Edited by oldjeep

My guess is that you are positioning the wrench like this:

spacer.png

Doing it that way will apply the most torque to the crankshaft, prompting it to turn while you try to remove the bolts.  Change your wrench to the other direction (or as close as you can get since the pump body is in the way).  This will put a lot less torque on the crankshaft.  Spraying some oil on the bolts and tapping the wrench with a hammer should help get the bolts moving.

spacer.png

• Like 3

You guys are awesome. I used two 3/8 drive 5/16 hex attachments and turned against them. Then the last one I toughed up and used a glove and held the pully and turned using the wrench positions above. I always fear doing something wrong so I research the heck out of it first. Easy job though for sure. Thank you again!!!

• Like 3