Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Tow cover - water getting in during rain

TommyTuna

Hi folks - firstly the two cover is pretty amazing - love how it goes on and how they also have it hook to tower to keep it sloped.

that said I have seen some water drip though cover in a heavy storm and pool on seats. I assume it isn’t meant to be waterproof but would a 303 fabric spray at least help with repelling water? I am waiting on canopy to come for boat lift after which it shouldn’t be much of an issue.

Having the same issue with my A22. I just dry it out and after a few hours with the cover off good as new. Not sure there is a way to keep it from happening, as the velcro/pleather around the tower is impossible to make water tight. I use "Boat Juice" for the vinyl. I've only had the boat for <1 month but I'm happy with the product. I imagine 303 would work as well from a preventative standpoint.

ahopkins22LSV

303 or starbrite will definitely help. Mine is due actually. Although nothing is going to prevent water from getting in around the towers which can drain down the side to the seats. At least mine does slightly.

Ok I will try treating the cover with 303 Marine fabric spray this weekend. I also noticed it only dripped through where I had a low spot and some puddling or the tower connection.  Suppose u could also put a small towel around tower openings to create a better seal between tower and cover.  

other then that I find the cover pretty amazing and clever. Coming from outboards with crappy popper covers this is a huge improvement and bullet proof in wind storm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to be clear the factory cover is not a tow cover technically it is a mooring cover. But yes you will get quite a bit of water coming around the tower. No real way to fix this issue. Just make sure you’re using the poles to “tent” the cover in the bow and the back. 

Never heard the factory cover is just for mooring.  And I am not sure what more would differentiate it from a “towing” cover. I have had an EVO cover as well and it certainly was a tighter fit, but not a drastically different design than the factory covers.  

Not sure about the newer covers, how high to they come up around the base of the tower?

I know my 17 would gap at the base of the tower as it only wrapped at the base.

I definitely recommend the 303 fabric shield, grab the 1 gallon jug and the sprayer to lay down a nice even coat.

SOLO 418 2 Liter One-Hand Pressure Sprayer, Red and White https://a.co/d/bfvRA1Q

I only applied it 1x per year , but we don’t get much rain, and I now have covered parking on my side yard so (humble brag) I’m thinking it won’t be much of an issue going forward 

3AFD9449-9F6F-44DD-8F8F-DC3710AC6709.jpeg

D7BE6B5F-0EE3-477D-A9E1-C8B02DDE43C9.jpeg

Edited by Stevo