Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

96 sunsetter... again... 5.7 black scorpion.

Im at a complete loss at the moment. Considering hanging up this project when im 90% done with it. Since ive had the boat it always had a stalling issue where when you let off the gas it would bog and recover. I went thru the fuel system 3 times now. New everything except for the main supply line and the metal filter lines and filter(i got a new filter just wrong threads on it). I had the injectors cleaned to 100% and made a code reader with a paperclip and a light and threw a coolant temp low code. So my thought was okay new fuel system clear the code and it will stop acting like the motor is cold and dumping too much fuel... spent $500 on a scanner because thats the only way to clear the code. Cleared it today and same issue.. however... after going thru all the sensors i noticed that one of the fuel lines was leaking just a tad. Enough to possibly be sucking in air and messing up the fuel pressure. Took it apart cleaned and tightened it up. Started it up and the idle went up a bit and it finally sounded like it was running okay.. then bogged and died. Looked at my inline filter and it was empty. I have the main line in a fuel can and it was in fuel 100% i pulled it out and turned the key and hardly any suction. Followed it to the water seperator and pulled the line. Nothin still. Went the the fuel pump outlet and the line was so pressurized i had to cut it to let the fuel out. The way its set up i thought a clog in the water seperator or the fpr. Both were still brand new and good to go. No water in the filter. Im pulling the whole system apart again. But i have zero clue what is going on. I will replace the main line aswell. Sorry its a long one. I diddnt want to miss anything. Side note. I wonder if the excess pressure is what caused it to somewhat run correctly? Just a thought. Also the pump is not clogged i verified this.

3 minutes ago, Lester said:

Im at a complete loss at the moment. Considering hanging up this project when im 90% done with it. Since ive had the boat it always had a stalling issue where when you let off the gas it would bog and recover. I went thru the fuel system 3 times now. New everything except for the main supply line and the metal filter lines and filter(i got a new filter just wrong threads on it). I had the injectors cleaned to 100% and made a code reader with a paperclip and a light and threw a coolant temp low code. So my thought was okay new fuel system clear the code and it will stop acting like the motor is cold and dumping too much fuel... spent $500 on a scanner because thats the only way to clear the code. Cleared it today and same issue.. however... after going thru all the sensors i noticed that one of the fuel lines was leaking just a tad. Enough to possibly be sucking in air and messing up the fuel pressure. Took it apart cleaned and tightened it up. Started it up and the idle went up a bit and it finally sounded like it was running okay.. then bogged and died. Looked at my inline filter and it was empty. I have the main line in a fuel can and it was in fuel 100% i pulled it out and turned the key and hardly any suction. Followed it to the water seperator and pulled the line. Nothin still. Went the the fuel pump outlet and the line was so pressurized i had to cut it to let the fuel out. The way its set up i thought a clog in the water seperator or the fpr. Both were still brand new and good to go. No water in the filter. Im pulling the whole system apart again. But i have zero clue what is going on. I will replace the main line aswell. Sorry its a long one. I diddnt want to miss anything. Side note. I wonder if the excess pressure is what caused it to somewhat run correctly? Just a thought. Also the pump is not clogged i verified this.

So what is the fuel pressure, and what is it supposed to be?

Is this a TBI or multi-port injected engine?

3 minutes ago, justgary said:

So what is the fuel pressure, and what is it supposed to be?

Is this a TBI or multi-port injected engine?

Fuel pressure is supposed to be 38-40 i think. And it was correct after i had the injectors cleaned multi port injection. I did not test pressure today. I was just hoping the code was the issue.