Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 A22 - Stereo stopped turning on after breakin service - anything i can try for this long weekend?

TommyTuna

Just had my 10 hour breakin service down and they had to change out the wedge (shipped with manual instead of power wedge 3).  Everything looking good until i went to use stereo and it briefly flashes on the white screen and then nothing happens. Both amp lights go blue. Turned off battery tried again and same thing. Seems something wasn't put back right?  Dealer is super apologetic and may ask me to take the boat in again (arggh.. it is a long weekend and we want the boat and music).

Is there anything obvious i can check? any fuses? wiring harnesses etc? again the AMPs light up and everything else seems in order and i have reset power atleast 5 times.

It is the default stereo with the transom remote.

Thank you!

Update - the transom remote powers on and allows things to work including radio and Bluetooth. All speakers seem to work. When I power up on transom remote, you can see the Helm head unit screen going white and then screen turns off.

Anyone know where the fuse/breaker is for head unit?  

tempted to take dash cover off so I can see head unit connections.  

I got nothing , but I’m interested to hear what the issue is. Logic states it had to occur when pw was added. Sorry I’m no help . 

ahopkins22LSV

I’d check all battery connections, all connections under the dash, all connections to the amps/head unit in the storage compartment and any other grounds you can find throughout the boat. If it’s not something like that it probably requires the trip back to the dealer.

Thank you - I did some more troubleshooting. I can't really reach up through the little opening under wheel to check the connection but i can see the connection when i stick my phone up there and take a pic.  I'm assuming the dealer had removed the entire dash to do the wedge wiring as i can see some of the black screws that hold the dash in were removed and rescrewed. I assume the dash comes off as one piece and then the technician would have had to remove connections to the stereo and Garmin to move the dash out of way?

Here was some troubleshooting I did. All the AMP connections look solid under the glove box and transom remote fires up fine and it is on a splitter from main control box that goes to head unit and transom.

Q: Is it normal for the Head unit to power up as soon as battery switch power is applied (this seemed odd.. it didn't do that before..I would have to hit on button on the head unit)

Observations:

-Stereo Dash head unit tries to come on soon as I switch battery switch from off to on - really bizarre as I swear one would have to hit power on head unit before for it to come on before the repairs 

-Transform remote works and is able to control audio once on

-Amplifiers seem fine too as do speakers

-Crackling / pop sound in speakers when I cut the battery power switch to off (this may be normal?)

-Dash unit screen goes white for about 3-5 seconds when battery turned on and then blank… pressing buttons does nothing to bring screen back. Volume knob controls volume but super delayed

-Resetting battery switch on/off doesn’t fix

Pic under dash:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AifJ7L0O-qrPrrJ01LCD7X-4o3Dvxg?e=z2V8pT

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AifJ7L0O-qrPrrJ1YP7mF5fa566ngQ?e=B0sYJE

Edited by TommyTuna

Dbl checked connections at battery and everything looks super tight on both batteries. Connections by the AMPs in storage area all good (suspect this area wasn’t touched during service).

Any ideas where other wiring related to stereo may be? Is that bus bar under steering wheel critical?  

Dealer claims there was zero work done in dash area as part of power wedge setup. The wiring was already there for the power wedge and they just hooked it into the harness.  They will try to have tech call me after long weekend.  

Really bizarre and coincidental.

On my 2019 A22 when I turn On battery the head unit fires up. 

The pop/crackling can be avoided by powering down head unit, then turning off battery switch. 

3 hours ago, tvano said:

with dealer feedback, consider removing those power wedge harness items to see if your stereo functions?

Good suggestion - anyone know where that harness would be found?

Hi Folks - dealer took a look at videos and ordered new Stereo head unit for Dash. They are on back order right so could be while before they get stock.

I really want to avoid taking boat out of water and into dealer to replace head unit for variety of reasons the main one being it is a real hassle taking canopy off boat lift  (need to take off incase storm comes while boat in shop and no weight on lift).  Has anyone ever taken apart the Dash on 2022 model and changed stereo? Was thinking doing this swap myself..

it looks straightforward other then perhaps having to remove steering wheel to get dash off and then a single wiring harness to back of head unit

Is there a maintenance/service  manual out there that can be purchased?

On 5/26/2022 at 3:27 PM, TommyTuna said:

Hi Folks - dealer took a look at videos and ordered new Stereo head unit for Dash. They are on back order right so could be while before they get stock.

I really want to avoid taking boat out of water and into dealer to replace head unit for variety of reasons the main one being it is a real hassle taking canopy off boat lift  (need to take off incase storm comes while boat in shop and no weight on lift).  Has anyone ever taken apart the Dash on 2022 model and changed stereo? Was thinking doing this swap myself..

it looks straightforward other then perhaps having to remove steering wheel to get dash off and then a single wiring harness to back of head unit

Is there a maintenance/service  manual out there that can be purchased?

What's the model/part number of the head unit?

1 hour ago, Jbcain said:

What's the model/part number of the head unit?

I don't have part number but is says MC-40 on the head unit. For now we found hack - if we set to bluetooth source on the transom remote, we can change volume on the iphone. Just can't change any advanced settings/balance/tone etc.  Better then being without any tunes for now.

Dealer committed they would do same day service/swap once the unit in stock.

• 4 weeks later...

We now have same issue with our head unit on 2022 t220. Was working fine one minute and black screen the next. Screen lights up at boot up then goes black at power up and you can control radio from transom so at least we have tunes still. Is your fixed yet? Going to call dealer tomorrow. 

• 2 months later...

tgaffin, I am having the same exact problem on my 2022 Axis A20 with the MC-40 head unit. I ordered a replacement MC-40 and installed it this past weekend and still having the same issue. Did you ever get yours resolved?

I’ve had the exact same issue with my head unit on ‘22 A22. Identical to all of these issues. Dealer told me it’s been a known and ongoing issue with these Clarion head unit models. Got mine replaced by dealer on warranty and have not had the same issue since. 

9 minutes ago, KeithH said:

tgaffin, I am having the same exact problem on my 2022 Axis A20 with the MC-40 head unit. I ordered a replacement MC-40 and installed it this past weekend and still having the same issue. Did you ever get yours resolved?

Just curious, Why did you order and install on your own instead of having the dealer handle it under warranty?