Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift Water Depth

alvanmn

Hey Everyone.  We just got a new hydraulic boat lift and a T250.  I know the draft is 32" but how much water is needed for the boat to float off the bunks???  I measured in the furthest down position and have 13"-14" between the top of the bunks and the top of the water.   Does anyone have this figure or the ability to measure??  I'd prefer to not do the trail and error method with the new boat.  I feel like I am going to need to push the boat out to deeper water.  We are a good 2' low in our lake currently which stinks.  Appreciate any help that anyone can offer before I put the boat in the water.

With only 13" of water under the bunks I think your problem might be getting onto the boat lift itself. Take that 32" draft and 17" for the prop leaves you 14-15". Granted that is at the keel and not where the bunks are it will definitely be close. How deep is the water at the lift? 

• Like 1

At the outermost of the boat lift we are at 5' of water but at the front of the life we are only at 3'.  It almost like I need to get another section of dock and put it all out another 12' to get deeper water.  That or push the lift out  to get 5 or 6 more inches and hope we get rain.  

with 5' at the back and 3' at the front you will be fine with that water depth.  I would think the bunks on your lift should have some adjustment as well.

It was fine last year with our A24 but that was a 27" draft, the extra 5" draft with the T250 is was is throwing me off.  New year, new boat and lift got destroyed late last summer.  It's in its lowest position.  Looks like I going to be getting wet to push this out some just to make sure.  I will report back and let everyone know in case someone is curious.  If we had normal water levels it wouldn't even be a thought.  Thank you for the help.

23 minutes ago, alvanmn said:

It was fine last year with our A24 but that was a 27" draft, the extra 5" draft with the T250 is was is throwing me off.  New year, new boat and lift got destroyed late last summer.  It's in its lowest position.  Looks like I going to be getting wet to push this out some just to make sure.  I will report back and let everyone know in case someone is curious.  If we had normal water levels it wouldn't even be a thought.  Thank you for the help.

If your A24 only had 27" draft it must have been an older one (2019 plus have 32). Good news is 2 of the 5inch increase is due to 17 vs 15 inch prop.  So net difference seems like it should be 3 inches of keel/bunk change. 

Is this a cantilevered lift like below?

image.png.b86502746babfb5b5a65e00363f33a2e.png 

Will the feet sink a couple inches once a 6000 lbs boat sits on it? Or could you lower the stern feet by 2inches?  you shouldnt need the full clearance past maybe midship.  

18 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

If your A24 only had 27" draft it must have been an older one (2019 plus have 32). Good news is 2 of the 5inch increase is due to 17 vs 15 inch prop.  So net difference seems like it should be 3 inches of keel/bunk change. 

Is this a cantilevered lift like below?

image.png.b86502746babfb5b5a65e00363f33a2e.png 

Will the feet sink a couple inches once a 6000 lbs boat sits on it? Or could you lower the stern feet by 2inches?  you shouldn't need the full clearance past maybe midship.  

right!- 3" difference max.  I would say it's likely even less than that (due to prop shaft angle being different as well)  .  I don't foresee any issues with his current water depth and if that's the type of lift he's using.  I'd almost bet the entire 5" or very close to it of extra draft is entirely due to running gear changes.