Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Wakesetter Hard turning and Ballast pump issues

Lptexastornado1

All,

Summer is getting going here in Houston so that means Boat problems!  I have a couple issues.

1. The steering has gotten a little worse over the past 2 seasons.  Steering is hard to turn when the boat is underway.  In neutral or just barely in gear it isn't to bad fairly easily.  Surf speeds, wakeboard speeds last night it was really difficult.  30mph not as hard as surf speeds but still not easy.  I have friend who has the same 2006 23lsv and you can turn his wheel with your pinky finger at all speeds.  My question is do y'all think it is the steering cable going bad (I'm somewhat hoping for this) or do you think it is the rudder box?  I have owned the boat for 4 years now and haven't touched either of those items for maintenance or repair.  
  2. Last night the Center Fill ballast pump kept tripping the breaker.  Any thoughts where to start to diagnose what's making it trip the breaker.  I am really not good with electrical issues (I also got to figure out why my trailer lights aren't working,  I hate electrical!)

Thanks for any help, boat is a 2006 23 LSV.

And i know everyone likes pictures so here is my 12yr old who is getting tired of wakeboard and wanting to surf?????  Not sure what that's all about but glad he is happy doing something on the boat.

formulaben
23 minutes ago, Lptexastornado1 said:

I have owned the boat for 4 years now and haven't touched either of those items for maintenance or repair.  

There are 2 grease zerks on the rudder.  DO NOT overgrease it, as you can blow the seals and make it worse, but using a hand pump put in as much grease as it will take.  If this doesn't solve it, then we'll go from there but try that first and see what it gets you.

25 minutes ago, Lptexastornado1 said:

Any thoughts where to start to diagnose what's making it trip the breaker.

If there is something that is caught in the inlet of the pump it can hang the motor and trip the breaker, so hopefully that's all it is...but if those those are stock pumps then given the age I'd probably plan/budget for replacing the pump soon.  They are not expensive and even though they are sealed once they get water in them it's over very soon.  Not a big deal to swap a pump.  Invite a friend who has crimpers and is handy and buy the beers...it's a 30 minute job at most.  The pumps on my 2002 starting going one by one about 6 years ago, so after the 2nd failure I swapped them all out with newer (and higher capacity) pumps.  Not a big deal.

4 minutes ago, formulaben said:

DO NOT overgrease it, as you can blow the seals and make it worse, but using a hand pump put in as much grease as it will take.

I'd stick with exactly two pumps from the grease gun.

@Lptexastornado1, if you routinely let your bilge fill with water, your steering cable will seize up.  They do not like getting wet.

Yes didn't even think about opening pump up and see if there is debris in it.  Ill check that and then possibly a new cartridge's or just get a new pump.

Ill see if it can contort my body enough to grease that zerk fitting.  If tat doesn't help It might be a cable replacement in my future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, Lptexastornado1 said:

Yes didn't even think about opening pump up and see if there is debris in it.  Ill check that and then possibly a new cartridge's or just get a new pump.

Sometimes after you pull the cartridge out you can turn the impeller by hand to "break it free", then flip the switch to see if it will spin.  I've had some lock up like this and work fine for another season or 2.  Sometimes not.

@blk93jeepzj that’s exactly what I did 2 days ago. Opened it up spun it a few times and then it is running fine. Hoping that works for a while. 

Now I gotta find time and the ability to contort my body to somehow get the grease gun on the zerk fittings and get a little grease in there and cross my fingers that is the fix for the steering. 

Edited by Lptexastornado1