Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

State of the Boat Market?

CaptainMorgan

10 minutes ago, amartin said:

5.99 on the water here.  Completely anecdotal, but perfect weather yesterday and it seemed less crowded on the water than a normal weekend, much less so than a holiday. 

4.85 at the local gas station.  And yes, the lake was pretty empty.  The launch I use has 40 parking slots and less than 20 were used - bizarre for a Saturday in the mid 80s

Edited by oldjeep
2 hours ago, amartin said:

5.99 on the water here.  Completely anecdotal, but perfect weather yesterday and it seemed less crowded on the water than a normal weekend, much less so than a holiday. 

Oddly similar here yesterday.. i was shocked for holiday, granted today will be a lot warmer so will see.. 

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

4.85 at the local gas station.  And yes, the lake was pretty empty.  The launch I use has 40 parking slots and less than 20 were used - bizarre for a Saturday in the mid 80s

17 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Oddly similar here yesterday.. i was shocked for holiday, granted today will be a lot warmer so will see.. 

They all came to Florida....

• Haha 3

I don't think todays bubble is really directly comparable to 2008.  Too many big differences.  One being the amount of investment firms that are in the housing market directly (like blackrock, etc.) driving the prices up and gobbling up the available houses - not really a factor in 2008 when it was just consumers being able to get loans way to easily - which really incentivized the banks to crash it vs now where investment firms bought high but not on credit.  Covid and the overall work exodus that has followed has really driven down the economy, while CEO/Exec pay is at an all time high despite terrible earnings.  All these stimulus checks and student loan forgiveness for the last 2 years has introduced some serious volatility that was not happening in 2008.  I don't remember such a large swing in gas prices at the pump or per/bbl oil prices dropping into the negative 2 years earlier than 2008 either.  All these current economical issues seem contrived and planned to me.  I mean 2 years ago we were paying $2/gal for gas and its price per barrel was negative. Thats just crazy to me to think about.  I love my boat and thankfully have it paid off so ill just sit tight and wait and see.  In the Columbia River Gorge we are sitting at about $5.35/gal for 92 octane at the pump, $5.75 on the water.  Seems like boat traffic is less than usual right now but we haven't had very good spring weather for boating this year so far.

Boat traffic was way down from normal today. We normally skip boating on holiday weekends, but our friends told us that Saturday was unusually slow compared to normal Memorial days in the past. Took a chance and went out just to go float and hang out with friends. By 5pm our area was empty. If I’d brought out boards with us we would have been the only boat out there surfing. Crazy!!

Edited by Dsalyers

Same here, unusually slow on the water. About the only consistency was the ramp drama. If you are going to own a boat, surrender your man card to someone who can either drive the boat or back the trailer in. :Doh:

Not sure what the lake situation is like this weekend here, but I just got home from a 9 day camping trip through SoCal.  People are still RVing like crazy.

Back to boats - was on a friends new A22 yesterday and they have been told that they need to put premium gas in for the M5 engine.  He is currently hauling cans to his dock vs fueling in the water.  Not doing ti to save $$$, but cant get premium on the water.  Does this sound right?  I thought only the supercharged engines needed premium.

57 minutes ago, amartin said:

Back to boats - was on a friends new A22 yesterday and they have been told that they need to put premium gas in for the M5 engine.  He is currently hauling cans to his dock vs fueling in the water.  Not doing ti to save $$$, but cant get premium on the water.  Does this sound right?  I thought only the supercharged engines needed premium.

I have been running 91 with no problem or discernible performance issues. I had been running 93 until things got up to $4.90 a gallon. 

Edited by wdr
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, amartin said:

He doesn’t need premium for the M5 or M6. I’ve never used premium in my M6 either.

$5.90 for 90 oct boat gas so not as bad as i thought...

Boating (moving) traffic IMO was down for holiday weekend.. shore parties and sandbar was pretty busy on par given the good weather.. people overall burning less gas IMO.. 

Could of been the high winds but still suoer Sunny and above avg temps.. seems less than past 2 yrs. although those were above normal years so hard to say.. lots of neighbors with new boats though hah..

General consensus of talking to many people out in the lake is they are cutting way back... Granted these are lakers .. so not anywhere near the bottom of the barrel economic crowd.. 

Edited by The Hulk
4 hours ago, NWBU said:

He doesn’t need premium for the M5 or M6. I’ve never used premium in my M6 either.

For surfing, true. For tournament slalom, there is supposedly a difference in throttle response and zero off algorithms. 

• Like 2
On 5/30/2022 at 8:34 PM, cubbiesfan2016 said:

How was the water level at Shasta? 

Totally fine. Was it like it was a few years ago, of course not. Paved ramps were open. We put in at Antlers. And there only letting out 25% of normal out of the dam so the water should be good all year. 

Edited by dwc032

Major RV company laying off 1/3 workforce very soon.

Now mamy mgt layoffs at another major producer company in our city

Car sales interesting! Driving off a cliff?  

IMG_20220602_184458.jpg

Edited by The Hulk
2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

IMG_20220602_184458.jpg

Exactly their plan……. Force us all to go electric cuz we don’t want to deal with gas prices anymore…. 

13 minutes ago, TAQ44 said:

Exactly their plan……. Force us all to go electric cuz we don’t want to deal with gas prices anymore…. 

Sadly electric costs more.. 

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, The Hulk said:

IMG_20220602_184458.jpg

Why are we shocked car sales were down last year? No micro chips other massive supply shortages and labor shortages. Basing an economic forecast off of 2021 car sales seems silly to me. 

1 minute ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Why are we shocked car sales were down last year? No micro chips other massive supply shortages and labor shortages. Basing an economic forecast off of 2021 car sales seems silly to me. 

Well look back and say boat and RV , car, and rec toys were crazy in 2020-2021 .. outliers years for sure

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, The Hulk said:

Well look back and say boat and RV , car, and rec toys were crazy in 2020-2021 .. outliers years for sure

Insanely different markets and not even comparable. Annual sales for a boat or rv manufacturer is less than a week for an auto manufacturer.